Pocket Cds on Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacDuff, Dec 25, 2002.

1. MacDuff macrumors regular

Does anyone know if it is possible at all or if there's a trick to using Pocket Cds (smaller cd-r's) on a Powerbook, or any slot-loading cd drive for that matter? I'm having issues and I'm hoping someone's figured it out. It usually spits it back out or doesn't recognize it.

Thanks a lot for the help...

2. vniow macrumors G4

It's not recommended.

People have had serious problems when they tried to use mini-cd's in slot loading drives, do a quick search in the help section for more info.

3. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Consider yourself lucky that it did spit it out. Most of the time you have to take the computer in for repair to get it out. :eek: The rule is: without an adapter ring (looks like a clear plastic CD minus the middle) DON'T!

4. Skandranon macrumors regular

Yeow!

I would never think of sticking something that obviously doesn't fit into my slot-loading PowerBook!

:eek::eek::eek:

Just joking. Great question... I still would never consider putting a PocketCD into a slot-loading drive and I'm glad your Ti didn't biff on the one you put in it, but an excellent consideration nonetheless.

5. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

Interestingly enough, the real reason I tried this was because I was completely successful at loading in a pocket cd, a business card cd, and a cd which was in the shape of an army/navy seal to fit and function in an old indigo slot-loading iMac. It worked fine many times, so I was just hoping it would be the same with my new Powerbook. Any one know the story behind that?

No worries though, I'll have to sell these puppies to some other chap.

6. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

in reply....

Interestingly enough, the real reason I tried this was because I was completely successful at loading in a pocket cd, a business card cd, and a cd which was in the shape of an army/navy seal into an old indigo slot-loading iMac. It worked fine many times, so I was just hoping it would be the same with my new Powerbook. Any one know the story behind that?

7. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

in reply....

Interestingly enough, the real reason I tried this was because I was completely successful at loading in a pocket cd, a business card cd, and a cd which was in the shape of an army/navy seal into an old indigo slot-loading iMac. It worked fine many times, so I was just hoping it would be the same with my new Powerbook. Any one know the story behind that?

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

yeah, MacDuff, we got the point. :rolleyes:

The most likely reason behind the CDs working on the iMac and not the Powerbook is that they use different manufacturers. I dunno about the iMac, but the Powerbook uses Matsushita drives.

irmongoose

9. designpro macrumors newbie

please dont....

a while back, at my company, we received this cool flash-business card on a "customized"-cd. well, i think you know what it is. anyway, we thought we'd try to see if it'll run on a Mac so i popped it into the slot loading iMac. as you know, it didnt spit out. my workers and i had to use everything possible at the office and finally managed to get it out. it aint fun but two hours of regular workday "evaporated" rather quickly.
    bottom line: no please, dont do it.

10. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

sorry for posting three times in a row guys. don't I feel like a dunce.

yeah, best rule of thumb is not to bother with those "snazzy"cds. It may be worth jacking up a pc for 'em, but not a mac. sounds like a plan.

peace.