Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To celebrate the one year anniversary of its rebranding, Pocket (formerly Read It Later) has implemented new sharing capabilities.

Pocket has long had tools to share articles via social networks like Facebook and Twitter, but has added a new "Send to Friend" function along with a redesigned Share Menu.

sendtofriend.png
Send to Friend offers a way to share annotated content from Pocket with anyone. Select an article, add comments or highlights, and then email it to a friend. If it is sent to another Pocket user, the notification will be received directly in the app.
A year ago today, we became Pocket. It seems only fitting that we'd celebrate with a new feature designed to rethink another core element of the Pocket experience: Sharing.

INTRODUCING SEND TO FRIEND
Send to Friend is a new, simple way to share content with the people who matter to you most. With just a couple of taps you can share content from Pocket with friends and family, along with a comment and a highlighted quote. They'll receive an email with the link, and if they have Pocket, they'll also be notified right inside the app.

RECEIVE SHARED CONTENT IN POCKET
Once a friend sends content to your Pocket with Send to Friend, it will appear in an inbox, where you can see their comments along with any highlighted quotes they chose to share with you.

NEW SHARE MENU WITH MORE ACTIONS
Pocket's redesigned Share Menu adds Send to Friend, as well as actions for the selected item: Copy Link and Open in Browser.

BUG FIXES & PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS
This update also includes a number of bug fixes and performance updates.
Pocket is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pocket Updated with New Send to Friend Functionality

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I vaguely remember "Read It Later", but never used it.

After checking this out in greater detail, it seems like something I'd use (I use the iOS Reading List quite a bit).
Regardless of what it's like, the price is right - free.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Pocket is great. It seems like something long missing from computer-based Internet access prior to iDevices. I send long, interesting finds to Pocket between trips and then have lots of desirable reading (offline) when traveling... kind of like a magazine filled with hand-picked articles of great interest to me. Again, <Cue Tony the Tiger catch phrase here>!

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
A couple updates ago, they removed the ability to email the full article text :(

At least Instapaper still allows it.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
anyone using this?

I do. Cracking little app. Lets me save stuff from my work laptop (when using Google Chrome) as well as saving from Tweetbot and iOS Safari on iPhone and iPad. It works well for my uses.

The app to read your saved links is tidy too and it's free. :)

shalliday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Is Pocket similar to Readability? Just wondering if better and/or offers more functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.