Pocketmac 3.0 v MissingSync

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sparky76, Oct 29, 2003.

1. sparky76 macrumors regular

I have a PocketPC (hp 5550) and want to sync contacts, emails, iCal items, documents etc with the Mac. Any comments on whether PocketMac or MissingSync is better?

2. ksz macrumors 68000

I tried all the usual methods to copy Outlook (PC) contacts and appointments to my new PowerBook. However, none of the usual methods were satisfactory.

The usual methods:

1. Save each contact as a VCard and import it into Address Book. If I had the time and patience for a maniacally tedius task like this I would have done it.

2. Export contacts as a CSV file and import the file into Entourage (Address Book does not import CSV). Despite many attempts the import was never satisfactory. Half the list imported properly but the other half was garbled. Online help suggests removing any Carriage Returns in notes, but I didn't have any.

3. Create new email in Outlook and drag-and-drop the full contact list into the message. Good. Now we have all contacts as individual VCard attachments. Send the message to myself and retrieve it on the Mac using both Mail and Entourage...No good. The attachments have been combined into a single ".dat" file that nothing I have is able to open.

4. Fire up Entourage and create a new Exchange Account. No problem...just copy the Exchange settings from Outlook and we're up and running. Entourage now shows my Exhange folder list including Inbox, Sent Items, Calendar, and of course Contacts. Click on Contacts...I see the entire list...but it's only superficial. Entourage treats all Exchange folders alike; it does not know that the Contacts folder contains Address Book data which it *should* be able to read. After all, it's Exchange and Entourage -- all produced by the same company. No good.

5. Finally it occurs to me that Outlook synchronizes nicely to my PocketPC, but after searching microsoft.com, there is no ActiveSync for the Mac. And besides, I have already exhausted my allocation of two "Standard Memberships". Guest Members are unlimited, but they don't offer synching. Putting this concern aside, I found Missing Sync and PocketMac after a brief web search. I didn't expect to find a Macintosh client for PocketPC!!

In their current versions, both are more or less equally capable. However, according to a reviewer, Missing Sync is not yet compatible with Panther:

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=267

Specifically:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    You must have a Pocket PC running Pocket PC 2002, 2003 or SmartPhone 2002.
    You need to have a USB cradle and a free USB port on your Mac. You need OSX version 10.2 or later, iSync 1.1 or later, iCal 1.0 or later, iTunes 2.0.4 or later, iPhoto 1.1.1 or later. Apple's upcoming operating system 10.3, Panther, is not yet supported, but mark/space states on their page that they plan on providing an update. They also state that if you have a Pocket PC 2002 device that will not work with The Missing Sync, they will either refund your money or provide an update 30 days later.

So the decision was obvious: PocketMac 3.0.

Five minutes after installation, Outlook contacts, appointments, and messages were synched to the Mac. Data transfer was right on -- no mis-mapped fields, no garbled text or bogus entries. PocketMac supports both Entourage and OS X native apps (Mail, iCal, Address Book...and iPhoto / iTunes).

Further, storage cards inside the PocketPC (internal Storage Card and my Secure Digital card) were mounted on the Mac desktop and treatable as disk drives.

Both Missing Sync and PocketMac allow you to install PocketPC apps, but I haven't tried this yet.

PocketMac 3.0 was a $41 download. Overall, very pleased with it so far.