PocketMac vs. Missing Sync for PocketPC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cubist, Oct 20, 2003.

1. cubist macrumors 68020

Anyone using either of these to sync a Pocket PC with a Mac? I've got to decide between them. From what I can see:

(a) PocketMac will sync tasks/events with Entourage, which is much better than iCal. The web site says it syncs "word and excel documents" but doesn't say how.

(b) Missing Sync will mount the device as a drive, allowing documents to be copied (or sync'd, using some applescript). But Missing Sync doesn't sync with Entourage. Also the Missing Sync website says they don't sync "events created with Outlook", which sounds very bizarre, but it's probably an iCal limitation.

I mainly got a Pocket PC phone (Audiovox Thera) because of the files feature. Thus far I am only syncing it with PCs, but I want to move the organizing to my PowerBook.

2. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I have a Dell Axim X5 and use PocketMac. It's great and offers a lot of features. I can sync my address book, iCal, Mail and lots more. It gives me the option to add programs and other items. It can browse the X5 and let me move files around, upload them, download them and even erase them.

I would go with PocketMac, best of all I've had no problems using it with Panther.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I know the Markspace website says that MissingSync will be updated to work with WM5 devices. Anyone try a WM5 device with PocketMac yet?

I ... ahem... decided to indulge myself. An x51v is coming my way, probably tomorrow. :) I wanna play with it to surf the web using WiFi, but I would like it to sync to my iBook too....

4. rumbletum macrumors regular

mkrishnan - did you ever manage to sync your X51v with your Mac?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as I know, neither company has yet released a solution, and it isn't possible. I've been using it for mail and web using wifi, and reading pdf files, which are the primary reasons I wanted it, but that's all I'm getting out of it for now. :(

Will definitely update when one of the products becomes available....

6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Stay Far Away from Missing Sync...

Danger Will Robinson, Missing Sync sucks! Danger! Danger! Danger!

Seriously, I chose very poorly when buying a support app for my iPaq - Missing Sync is terrible: crashes, fails to detect my iPaq, poor syncs (double and even triple posting the same event), interferes with my Logitech wireless mouse (goodness knows why, but even Mark/Space acknowledges it happens), and has even managed to cause Kernel Panics. Don't buy this product, it is a waste of money and time. The 2.0 release (for Tiger) promised real big and fails to deliver. To keep using my iPaq, I'm going to have to buy PocketMac.

7. scokim macrumors regular

I have an O2 Xphone II and purchased PocketMac Phone.

PocketMac works intermittently (i.e whenever it feels like it) on bluetooth and USB. It's a terribly frustrating piece of software. On uninstalling it, my Mac had a kernel panic and crashed.:mad:

I'm looking at switching to Symbian phones. Anyone care to recommend ? Nokia or Motorola ?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have an aging Nokia that runs Symbian (3650). I can't say I've tried a Moto that uses it, but I can say that your sync'ing experience will be a lot better than it has been. Supported Symbian phones get along like peas in a pod with OS X.

9. rumbletum macrumors regular

Don't know if you're aware but there's now a pre-beta alpha release of Missing Sync that features Bluetooth syncing with Windows Mobile 5 devices.

10. howesey macrumors 6502a

Ditto.

I binned it. I now have an Axim X50v sitting aroud redundant. Apple should have support in iSync.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was aware, but thank you! :) We were just discussing it in a different thread! ;) Here is the other thread. It sounds as if "pre-beta" is being overly generous, though. :( If you've had a better experience, though, please share it! It'd be good for some positive stories to be out there.

As for Apple providing support...it'd be nice, but I wouldn't count on it. :( Unless there is a substantial uptick of WM being on phones, into mainstream high volume handsets, and those phones actually use the same WM and syncing strategy that the PDAs do. The biggest problem with WM5 is that it seems that MS has been very slow to (if they ever did) release an SDK for it. At least, that's what I understand from Aximsite.

It's certainly a very different story from the ten minutes it took me to get all of my information that was in iCal and Address Book and my Nokia into my new RAZR....

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is anyone still using the preview version of Markspace's Missing Sync for WM v. 2.5 (that supports WM5)? Is it getting any closer to working, or is it still a mess? I haven't been using my Axim much recently, but I do still someday want to be able to do this. :(

13. rumbletum macrumors regular

I've just set it up today, I've got it to sync well enough, the only problem is it crashes my Mac when I disconnect :(

I'm pleased with how accurately it syncs though

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks for sharing your experience! Two questions: Bluetooth or USB, and what device?

15. rumbletum macrumors regular

I've got an Axim X51v, synced it using bluetooth, I don't think they've implemented the USB sync yet.

It all set up very easily, and seems better than when I used Missing Sync with a Palm.

16. rumbletum macrumors regular

Just to update, the Missing Sync with WM5 support has now been released officially, and includes USB support

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is anyone using it? Does it work reliably? I may need to order a copy....

18. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I am using it with my Motorola Q and it works great....havent had any issues

19. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I have upgraded from v2 to v2.5 - my phone is windows mobile 2003 2nd edition.

it installs over the top of the old version and now I cant sync!

the small icon on the menu bar registers that I have connected but the main window doesnt.

in trying to fix it I thought I would turn the osx firewall off - when I went into the prefs it says some other firewall software is running! (I havent installed anything as far as i know).

i have uninstalled missing sync which solves the firewall problem but havent tired reinstalling yet

anyone else had these problems?

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thank you! :) I will have to look into this... I haven't been using my Axim that much recently, but it has been an ongoing desire of mine to have it talk to iSync.... :)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Kvanwagoner or anyone else using it, can you please explain something to me? As I was reading more about MissingSync 2.5, I noticed this business with using Tiger Sync Services as an improvement over iSync in Panther.

So this is something I don't fully understand.

Right now I have a phone that synchronizes through iSync. Will I have to launch and run a separate program that does a separate sync to get my Axim to sync using MissingSync, or will my Axim also synchronize when I run iSync? If the Axim doesn't sync when iSync is run, this "feature" is a huge pain in the ... :(

22. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I have a T-Mobile SDAII which runs Windows Mobile 5. Would MissingSync be the solution, or is PocketMac Phone a better solution? Are there any other options besides the two?

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AFAIK, PocketMac has not provided a promise date for WM5 support, let alone a working option, so that would technically only be one option right now. :( :eek:

24. AussieSusan macrumors member

Nor have they provided a date for a working version that uses USB ports - I've been waiting for that since their message on their web site about it IN JANUARY! Even some email communication with them a month ago resulted in a cmment that it may yet be a month away.

(On a related side note - Microsoft's Active Sync running on Windows XP in Parrallels can talk with my iPac via USB perfectly - but PocketMac can't!!!!!)

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just wanted to add an interesting response that I got from MarkSpace about MissingSync co-habitating with iSync'd products...apparently they believe this is a no-no (although someone at AximSite said they did it anyway, and it required multiple syncs, but worked).

(Bold text is the MarkSpace rep)