Pod2g wants your vote on the next jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Justinb51, Apr 26, 2012.

  1. macrumors 6502

    Justinb51

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    #1
  2. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2012
    #2
    As much as I'd like to see my iPad 3 jail broken I voted to hold off for iOS 6. I think this poll tends to indicate that after this jailbreak the future is not bright for jailbreakers. I'm sure there are going to be thousands crying about how they need their iPhones/iPads jailbroken today. I am also sure he waits until at least after MWDC before making any kind of decision just so we know what's in store for the future!
     
  3. macrumors 6502

    gpsouza

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    Location:
    Lisbon
    #3
    This would be true if apple was a bunch of dumbasses that does not have the power to research or pay for exploits. Even if they don't release now, there is a great chance that apple ends up paying for some hacker for the exploits or find themselves.
    Don't forget that they're smart enough to find and patch any exploits released. Waiting for iOS 6 that will be launched god knows when, is a shot in the dark, with very low probabilitys of success.
     
  4. 3bs
    macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #4
    I was leaning towards voting for waiting for iOS 6 but you have a point.
     
  5. macrumors 6502

    That-Guy

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    Think he should hold off and wait for IOS 6 before releasing his jailbreak.

    On the other hand there could be some major changes in IOS 6 that prevents using the same jailbreak methods :)
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    #6
    I vote to wait. I'd rather see the exploit(s) saved for the pending iPhone since that should be a more radical overall upgrade to the 4S as opposed to the upgrade to the 4S from the 4.

    Just my 2 cents.
     
  7. macrumors 68040

    Dwalls90

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #7
    Wait! I voted for that. iOS 6 betas are coming so soon!
     
  8. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2012
    #8
    If the holes end up closed in the iOS 6 Beta's then release the jailbreak for iOS 5.X. You don't have to be smart to patch an exploit after its been released to the public, so I'm not sure what your getting at? The timeline for iOS 6 will at worst be the same as iOS 5 with an October release or at best a June/July release like iOS 2, 3, and 4. Apple is pretty consistent so it won't be much of a shot in the dark in my opinion. The only argument I see for the release of prior to iOS 6 is Chpwn's, every time a jailbreak has been saved for the latest iOS release it hasn't worked. The difference in my opinion is that jailbreaks weren't all that difficult in the past compared to now. If 1 or 2 jailbreaks are all we can expect to see anymore in a given year they need to be strategically released so that the maximum number of new devices can take advantage.
     
  9. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2011
    #9
    ALWAYS release Jailbreaks ASAP.

    iOS 6 will mostly likely close whatever exploits they have discovered, whether they reveal them or not.

    If they got a 5.1 Jailbreak ready to go, then should should release it ASAP.

    Chances are that Apple will alter iOS 6 enough that the 5.1 exploits wouldn't work anyway. And then once they stop signing 5.1, a lot of people who upgrade to iOS 6 would be screwed. And those who are still on the 5.0.1 Jailbreak would be TWO iOS upgrades behind everyone else.

    They apparently have 3 different 5.1 JB methods available, from what I've read the past month - use ONE of them for 5.1 and hold the others for iOS 6.

    Problem solved.
     
  10. macrumors 68030

    BumpyFlatline

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2012
    #10
    Wirelessly posted

    I vote for now. Even if they hold onto the exploits there is no guarantee they'll still exist in ios6. Everyone assumes ios6 comes out this fall...probably October. So we wait from now until October for the next jailbreak? Thats 6 months. What if they have problems like they did with ios5 and it takes an additional 3 or 4 months before a public release? I'd rather not wait 6-9 months to jailbreak my phone. I'd rather have it now and then stay jailbroken at 5.1 until ios6 comes out which is looking like roughly 6 moths away. Then if I have to wait 3-4 months for a release I'm fine with that. I always choose to leverage certainties against unknown variables. Too much guessing and hoping to wait for ios6. Release it now and maximize this jailbreaks lifespan.
     
  11. macrumors 604

    labman

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Mich near Detroit
    #11
    Question still will remain will Apple find the exploits before 6.0 or will those same exploits be in 6.0. Also i'm guessing 6.0 will be on the new iphone and the 4s maybe the 4. Below that i doubt it.
     
  12. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2012
    #12
    Voted to hold off till iOS 6 here.
     
  13. macrumors 603

    nfl46

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #13
    iOS 6 will be out in what, Octoberish? That's a very long time. I would at least like a 5.1 jailbreak for the new iPad right now.
     
  14. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2008
    #14
    Obviously wait for the iOS 6 beta which will be released at WWDC in 6 weeks. This is not rocket science.
     
  15. macrumors 6502

    gpsouza

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    Location:
    Lisbon
    #15
    So, what you're saying is, let's wait 2, 3 months for probably nothing?
    My point is, if the wait time was just a few weeks, ok, let's wait... But no! No one know when it will come, neither if it will come soon, we're just speculating lol
    There will always have a new exploit, sooner or later, maybe even more obvious than now, so it's not worth to wait until iOS6...

    ----------

    Thanks for understanding my point! :D
     
  16. macrumors 603

    nfl46

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #16
    But not everyone wants to have a Beta jailbreak. Its beta for a reason, so a lot of things may not even work. I would rather have a stable jailbreak release for a non-beta software, like 5.1 instead of having iOS 6 Beta 1 jailbroken.
     
  17. macrumors 6502

    gpsouza

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    Location:
    Lisbon
    #17
    It's not just wait for beta, we'll have to wait until the official iOS... What's the point of releasing in beta? If they do that Apple would release another beta fixing the exploit lol
     
  18. macrumors 603

    ECUpirate44

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    Location:
    NC
    #18
    I voted to wait. iOS 6 is going to be a b**** and I like my phone jailbroken, don't need my iPad jailbroken.
     
  19. macrumors 68040

    maturola

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #19
    my vote goes to Wait.....:cool:
     
  20. 3bs, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

    3bs
    macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #20
    Do the people voting to wait already have a jailbroken device? Is that why you're voting to wait? My 4S is jailbroken too but I would like to do a fresh restore. That's not the reason I voted to release it though. It would just suck if we waited and find out that the Apple patched the exploits. And like someone mentioned, we don't all want a jb beta.
     
  21. macrumors 6502a

    HickDead

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2011
    Location:
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH
    #21
    Somehow I hardly doubt that a 'voting poll' is going to influence Pod2g one way or another. I'm sure the final decision will be made by him and not the poll results on his blog.
     
  22. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2011
    #22
    Yes unfortunatelythat is exactly why the majority of prople who voted to wait voted that way.

    I find this extremely selfish. Why force owners of a new ipad to wait a minimum 6 months to year after release over pure speculation? Nobody knows when iOS 6 will release or if these exploits will be fixed.

    Holding onto jailbreaks almost never works out, just ask chpwn. Thats why as an owner of Both a jailbroken phone and iPad I voted for immediate release. Everyone should be allowed to enjoy freedom even those who foolishly upgrade their devices.
     
  23. macrumors 6502

    gpsouza

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    Location:
    Lisbon
    #23
    And I guess everybody that voted to wait didn't think about those people with a locked iPhone, waiting for this JB to do the SAM unlock...

    ----------

    And even more, why I'm supposed to wait for jailbreak in pretense for those who buy an iPhone 5?
    Why can I wait and they can't?
     
  24. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2012
    #24
    Even though I don't personally need this jailbreak now (my iPhone 4 is jailbroken untethered on 5.0.1 & I'm happy with my iPad3 being in jail), I just don't see the logic in waiting.

    It's a HUGE assumption that Apple wont find & patch the exploit(s) by iOS6. Doesn't matter if its 6 months or even 3 months away, you're better off giving the exploit some life now and making it useful, than running the risk of Apple patching it all up and then you've got nothing either way.

    Be Smart people. Vote 'No'.
     
  25. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2012
    #25
    On the contrary, Im not jailbroken, I was on previous versions though but updated to 5.1 to mess around with some of the new things. I don't mind being stock and can wait if need be.
     

Share This Page