Podcast list growing too long... Help!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sonictonic, Sep 29, 2006.

1. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I subscribe to several podcasts, and I want to delete the ones I've listened to in the past and have recently unsubscribed to. I want to keep the occasional great podcast, however, and I've made an iTunes playlist called "Great podcasts". When I try to delete the podcast from the podcast window, I get the alert, "move to trash or keep in music folder"? I pick keep in music folder, but the episode disappears from all windows and playlists!

How can I get around this - to keep my podcast folder tidy and current, but store away the good ones for later without losing them?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I drag keepers out to the Finder, then back into the regular iTunes library.

3. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, maybe I should try that exact method... but in my experience, the files just show up right back in the podcast section again. From what I have researched on my own it seems the files are "set" as a podcast, even aside from what genre I personally have set for the file.

When you drag it back in, does it NOT showup again in the podcast section?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

With iTunes 7, I end up with re-imported podcast videos in the Movies section, but for audio podcasts , it gets more complicated because of a new iTunes 7 bug.

One method that works around the bug without third-party software:

First, make smart playlist where "is podcast is true", you will need that momentarily.

Second, use the "Convert selection to..." menu item on the podcast episode you want to save.

Third, go to that smart playlist and find your new copy. This is the shiny new iTunes 7 bug, the new track won't appear in your regular library even though it's not part of a podcast feed!

You can stop here if you don't mind accessing the episodes from within the smart playlist. Read on if you want them to appear in your regular "Music" library.

Fourth, Get Info on the new track, go to the options tab, and turn off "remember playback position"

You still awake there? Good, there's more to do.

Fifth, drag the track out to the Finder to make a copy.

Sixth back in your smart playlist, Option-Delete to delete the semi-invisible converted file.

Seventh (and finally), drag the copy from the Finder back into the iTunes library. It should show up for real now.

5. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

See - I KNEW it was a hell of a lot more complicated than your first reply. :p

I'm gonna wait and hope for another more simple answer just in case. This seems like a lotta work, and for something so simple. :(

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you have an ID3 tag editor other than iTunes, it really doesn't need to be so bad, you can clear out the garbage from outside iTunes. The rigamarole above is for if you don't have such tools handy. IMO all such editors stink, so take your pick from Versiontracker or wherever.

7. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm suprised more people are not requesting help on a situation like this... I really am.

Thanks for your help though I really appreciate it! :)

8. Dahl macrumors 6502a

Thanks,

I have annoyed about this too for a while.

Some podcasts won't let me change the tags, that sucks.

But a major issue for me is my Hype Machine podcast.
    If you don't know it, check it out here:
    http://hype.non-standard.net/
    It's an amazing way yo find new music, problem for me right now is that I have over 12 gigs (yes 12 gigs...) from that Podcast and I want to delete copies and keep it tidy. But I can only arrange the songs in a playlist and when I delete songs from that they won't go away from the itunes folder on my Mac, just from my playlist. Is there any way to "force" the order of the podcasts so they match how you might have it in a playlist?

Don't know if it makes sense.

9. sonictonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey MeowBot, sorry to bother you again :p (or anyone that can answer...) - but I'm looking on versiontracker.com right now, and am I understanding this right that you can only edit ID3 tags for MP3 files? Is there a way to edit this "forced" podacst "tag" in some of my video podcasts? These would be in MP4 format. I suppose I could TRY it myself but wondered if someone might know this off hand before I get going...

I was gonna try the suggested "trick" of converting files for ipod, in the advanced menu, but it says the files are already in the correct format... :rolleyes: