"Podcast" - Oxford Dictionary word of the year

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

News story

The word "podcast" is the New Oxford American Dictionary word of the year for 2005.

Their definition: A digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player.

Congratulations, Apple!

iLounge story about it from the other day.

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Good to see something associated with Apple getting an award for the year.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think we should congratulate whoever coined the term, rather than a company whose product it was based on, and then latched onto.

4. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I think there is a bit of a scramble over who did coin the word. Fiddle around on Google with the topic, and there are a couple of folks claiming to have coined it... my first thought was Adam Curry ( i'm not proud that Adam Curry was my first thought...)

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Even though Apple didn't invent podcasts themselves, I still gotta say congrats Apple! ;)

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If they asked me, I might have voted for sudoku, which didn't make the cut this year.

7. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Very generous to include Apple on the congratulations, surely the word podcast would have become widely used without Apple..... for instance: "Last week I saw a 're podcast' of 'Invasion Of The Body Snatchers' - it was great!" :D

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oh yeah, I know it's generous... ;) But hey, people probably relate podcast to iPod, so it's all good for Apple! ;)

9. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Exactly. By using the word in conjunction with their similarly named product, Apple reaped the benefits of all the magazine articles, web sites, etc. using the word. Coining a word alone doesn't get it into the dictionary. The widespread use of "podcast" is Apple's accomplishment.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well said, good Doctor - association is huge when it comes to marketing and brand awareness. :cool:

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the word "giggidy" has caught fire recently, but "podcast" it is, then.

And yep, it's Apple's word. I don't know or care who invented it, because the only reason the word "pod" is in there is because of the iPod, hence MS's insistence that they be called something else. Of course, when people want to make a slide presentation on their computer and refer to it simply as "PowerPoint" rather than "slide presentation," Microsoft doesn't seem to be complaining about that association.