Podcast recorder, please tell me your set up, I tell you mine ; ) !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by igmolinav, Aug 20, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Are you a podcast recorder?? Please tell me your setup : ) !!!

I am telling you mine with the hope that if you see any weaknesses in it you may want to comment on them : ) !!!

My podcasts only record voice and I may add a bit of music in the background.

ibook G4

I may buy a USB microphone from the following list:

A simple but with quality recording software like Garage Band or Audacity.
    If you know of another software you may want to recommend. I doesn't
    have to be so simple, as I am looking for quality in the recording. So it's ok if I learn to use another software.

A post recording software to clean the hiss. I get quite a bit of hiss on the recording itself, when people are talking on the recording. Perhaps you know of a good software to clean the hiss) ???

Thank you very much, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

2. macrumors member

You mentioned Audacity, which I think is a good choice. There's an adaptive noise filter in there that is really handy for hiss removal: you select a silent region (where it's only hiss) and take a profile, then you can pull out hiss from the entire recording.

3. macrumors 601

zimv20

post-production cleanup will never work as well as not recording the problem in the first place. how bad is this hiss? what's causing it?

4. macrumors 68020

You might want to get a decent but cheap USB interface along with a decent condenser mic, or perhaps something like the Blue Snowball. That's a kit with the mini stand. It'll have a lot better sound quality with no hiss than a mic plugged into the Mac's audio input, or worse, the built-in microphone.