Podcasts in iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAAPL, Jun 11, 2011.

1. iAAPL, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

macrumors regular

iAAPL

So I was listening to WWDC coverage on TWiT Live on Monday, and when they were talking about something in iOS 5, Tom Merrit mentioned something about automatic podcast downloading. I have iOS 5 installed on my iPhone 4, but I don't have Lion, just Snow Leopard. I haven't found anything yet, but has anyone else? I'm a student and work 40+ hours a week at a golf course. I keep my iPhone-supporting earmuffs on pretty much all day. Usually I listen to Pandora, but I've got to really slow down on my data use, and it would be really convenient to have my podcasts download overnight on my WiFi, so it's ready to go right away in the morning. [REDACTED*] I wouldn't be opposed to having my iMac turn on early in the morning [ADDED: , but apparently WiFi sync isn't enabled yet.] Is there something you can do with iCloud to make this work? [REDACTED*] Is there a good app that automatically downloads podcasts? Any suggestions?

*Sorry andythursby

2. macrumors 603

as has been said here in MANY threads, even one specifically titled about wifi syncing... IT'S NOT ENABLED IN THIS BETA! It's cleared stated in the release notes that this is the case....

3. macrumors 68020

Fernandez21

I use icatcher and it's great, defiantly worth the $2

4. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Of the four that I've tried, Instacast is my favourite.

5. macrumors 6502

los318

6. macrumors regular

So iOS 5 doesn't download podcasts automatically if you're subscribed and using iCloud? I'd assumed that now iOS can function without a computer host, subscribing to podcasts would be built in one way or another.

David

7. macrumors 603

as far as i know, subscriptions don't come from the cloud yet well not in the UK, but deffo will wifi sync on official release. i know you can manually download from iTunes without a computer at the mo.

8. macrumors regular

Booo. It's been strangely missing for years, you'd think that subscribing to podcasts (and, remember, it was Apple who popularised podcasts to start with) from on your iDevice would have been a basic feature since iOS first appeared. What's the point in a weekly podcast if you have to go looking for it every week? If you can now subscribe to magazines (once the iMagazineShelf or whatever it's called is enabled) then it shouldn't be a huge leap to allow podcasts to be subscribed to and downloaded automatically too... you'd think? :confused:

David

9. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

I would love for them to add this before final release. If I could refresh all my podcasts right from the phone I would have no need to sync with my computer for long periods of time. I know there are several app store apps that do this really nicely but nothing beats having it baked in to the OS.

10. macrumors 603

it may kick in in official release. we dunno yet. but that's what wifi sync is for

like i said above, there's wifi sync, which will automatically sync your device for iTunes overnight whilst you sleep, so as long as you don't mind the PC being on with iTunes overnight, you're ok.

11. macrumors 6502a

GIZBUG

Reports I'm reading is you still can't sync podcasts with GM (and not using itunes).

What a shame...........

12. macrumors 6502a

Really? It still doesn't sync podcasts?! How could they leave that out...it's such a basic function.

13. macrumors 6502

I recommend downcast.

Fortunately, several app developers have stepped in where Apple dropped the ball.