Podcasts iOS App to Receive Bug Fix Update Later Today [Update: It's Out]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Apple's Podcasts app was released last month, many users had complaints about bugs, crashes and other issues. All Things D says that an update should debut later today that will fix the problems and "vastly improve it":
    Nearly two-thirds of reviews for the Podcasts app on the App Store gave it a one - or two-star review, with the app having a two-and-a-half-star review overall -- one of the lowest of all Apple's apps.

Podcasts had traditionally been housed in the iTunes app on iOS devices, but Apple has been working to streamline the user experience by breaking out some categories into their own apps, including Podcasts and iTunes U.

Update: As noted by Jim Dalrymple, Apple has released an update to the Podcasts app with these changes:
    Podcasts is a free download for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Podcasts iOS App to Receive Bug Fix Update Later Today [Update: It's Out]

2. macrumors regular

GenesisJLS

Props to Apple for knowing they released buggy software and resolving the issues quickly.

3. macrumors member

MattLafferty

Thank goodness! I'm an avid podcast creator and listener... and the best of the app is great. When it freezes... and locks... and is unresponsive... that's awful.

Yippie!

4. macrumors 6502

Thanks! I have only one podcast subscription and the app usually crashes once every time I launch it.

5. macrumors member

I sure hope so. it didn't do anything right the old setup in the ipod/video app did

it doesn't mark items as read with a sync, the ones that it does it doesnt' always delete off my ipad. the ones I've deleted manually it sometimes resyncs because of the first problem

6. macrumors regular

bitfactory

Easily my least favorite app from Apple. Terribly slow, unresponsive, and downright odd design.

I still can't believe this app was made by Apple.

7. macrumors newbie

Hallelujah!

If this App had come from any other developer it would have been killed by 1 star reviews. It the buggiest piece of #$%^ I have used on my iOS devices in a long time. Hope the new version fixes the dozen or so issues I have with the app.

8. macrumors newbie

It needs to support playlists with episodes of multiple podcasts in a single list, in chron order but re-order-able manually. If it doesn't do that, I'm sticking with Downcast. Which I frankly might do anyway.

9. macrumors regular

About time. One of the wors version 1 apps I have ever used.

10. macrumors 6502

This app was atrocious. Just leave podcasts in with the music app.

11. macrumors regular

While bug fixes are great its still lacking several features. I Hope they don't just squash the bugs and ignore it.

12. macrumors G3

NT1440

13. macrumors 68030

tkermit

14. macrumors regular

Thank goodness!

I loved the potential of the app but the bugs made it useless.

And I for one do not like the podcasts to be in the music app. They were the only reason I ever had to sync my phone with my mac.

15. macrumors 65816

Thank apple, Amoungst other things I for some reason have a phantom podcast with no actual audio with my other ones. When I delete it, it keeps coming back. Weirddd

16. macrumors 6502a

It’s rather shocking this was released in the state it was. There seemed no reason to launch when it did, I seem to recall most people were speculating/expecting it to arrive with iOS 6.

17. nlr
    macrumors 6502

Am I the only one with subscriptions that don't sync on iCloud to all devices?

18. macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Okay, I am seriously BAFFLED as to why anyone would use this app. There are SO MANY GREAT podcast apps in the store. iCatcher is my personal favorite, but Podcaster and many others offer so much customization, no download limits, and a bunch of fine-tuning controls that aren't available in Apple's app.

Why do people waste their time with this thing?

19. macrumors member

Here's hoping this update is much much much better. Podcasts, as it was released, was absolutely unacceptable.

20. macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

21. TimAlia, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

macrumors newbie

Maybe this time the UI will look like a record player instead of reel to reel tapes. Or maybe the new design will be a music box!

[​IMG]

22. macrumors 6502

Apple don't work on anything unless it is sending out our damn codes!

23. macrumors 65816

Porchland

This app is so vastly inferior to Downcast in both UI and functionality that I'm surprised Apple even released it.

24. macrumors 65816

Yeah.... I tried it for a while, just too slow and unstable. I had been using Casts Lite until then.

Based on a number of reviews I spent the 2 bucks on Downcast and couldn't be happier.

25. macrumors regular

It's annoying when someone tries to design something halfway interesting, only to have people **** all over it, because it's not designed to YOUR specifications. Get over yourself.

Edit: And I'm talking about the reel to reel critics, specifically. I'm also surprised they released it as buggy as it was, but then it may have worked perfectly in the lab, and been atrocious in the wild. It happens. They're fixing it. Problem solved.