Poetry Analysis Help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lu0s3r322, Feb 11, 2007.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

I'm supposed to analyze this poem for homework. i can find a few of the themes such as selfishness and cherishing what you have but i need some more. also im supposed to pay attention the the visual style of the poem like why are some words spaced out and notice patterns in the poem.

Choices

If i can’t do
    what i want to do
    then my job is to not
    do what i don’t want
    to do

It’s not the same thing
    but it’s the best i can
    do

If i can’t have
    what i want . . . then
    my job is to want
    what i’ve got
    and be satisfied
    that at least there
    is something more to want

Since i can’t go
    where i need
    to go . . . then i must . . . go
    where the signs point
    through always understanding
    parallel movement
    isn’t lateral

When i can’t express
    what i really feel
    i practice feeling
    what i can express
    and none of it is equal

I know
    but that’s why mankind
    alone among the animals
    learns to cry

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Am torn, as I don't particularly feel like helping you with your homework and don't feel I can ignore an invitation to the conversation.

So. Note the general absence of concrete nouns and the faux abstractions -- on ongoing poetry of lack, but also of resignation to the ongoing opening of time (read: "Choices," existentialism, blah blah blah). The "I" here exists only to generate platitudes from that resignation, and those platitudes in turn generate the "tears" at the end of the poem. That the tears are rooted in platitudes causes concern re: the poem's sincerity, but if it intends to be ironic, I wish it would at least have a sense of humor about it. If we're to read the platitudes as an accepted oppression, I guess that's at least interesting as it salvages the last lines as dark humor or as a mockery of shallow or insincere thought.

Ultimate problem may be that the poem is less about its language than it is about its idea that language can work its way out of its own mess (sorry, but I'm not willing to give up on sign/signifier here -- on the limit of language and perception).

Such that:

It's fine, but I really don't understand why poems feel the need to end with a boom, especially when they're struggling to earn a snap.

3. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

it just means do wut uwant and never look back... and not to be controlled..to me:apple: