Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

David Pogue has complied a list of frequently asked questions about the Apple iPhone. Pogue had some hands on time with the iPhone earlier this week.

A few of the more interesting/revealing answers are listed here:

- Does the Web browser support Flash or Java? –No.
- Can it open Word and Excel documents? –No. (Steve Jobs says it can open PDF files, though.)
- Will it sync with Outlook? –No.
- Does it connect to standard iPod accessories like car docks and speaker systems? –Yes!
- Won’t the screen get smudgy? –It does, but you don’t see it except when the screen is off. The one I played with was pretty streaky, but wiping it on my sleeve cleaned it completely.

The full FAQ list is available at his blog.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I'm starting to think the iPhone is gonna kinda iStink.

Apple is on a roll right now, but let's not act like everything they do is success. Remember that whole "iPod by HP thing"? And the g4 cube?

In fact I'm calling it right now, the iPhone shall suffer the same faith as the g4 cube. Stunning design, but it just won't find success in the market place.

Although I am looking forward to the full screen iPods of the future, after apple learns from it's mistakes on this first touch screen endeavor.

/trolling :p

zelet

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
Who pays $600 for a cell phone besides business users who are going to require Outlook integration? I was excited about this phone now I'm just disappointed. Its even worse that Apple is going to cripple the ability to add 3rd party applications. Now all the shortcomings of the phone can't be addressed by 3rd parties.

At the same time, this is Apple, and Apple makes sure they are as restrictive and proprietary as possible. You can't expect anything different from their cell phones. Plus, you are also dealing with cell phone companies - the biggest rip-off artists of all time.

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
With steve pushing the itunes integration for mac or windows so hard, i find it difficult to believe that it doesnt support the most popular email package that would be synced with this kind of device.. plus no java/flash? what "complete" browser doesnt have these? i think this story is bs personally

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
After reading Dave's full post, I am left thinking, what the hell does it actually do? :confused:

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
All I can say is wait till June to complain. Other than that, if you have a sugguestion, may I suggest emailing Apple. The crap this phone is getting pre-release is getting rediculous.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
i think they iPhone will change loads between now and release, remember the first view of Leopard? Don't you think that would of changed loads next time we see it? I think the same will happen with the iPhone, All new software.

jpxdude

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
To be honest, since this device is essentially going to be a lifestyle PDA, and since devs are already on it, I'd imagine it wouldn't be long before something like an open office or Entourage in stripped form gets released on the device. I think the Flash/Java support is false, especially since the safari on the iPhone is said to be a 'full HTML desktop class application' I refuse to believe that these won't be supported on official release.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
It feels like Apple is taking the Zune approach to the iPhone - it's a device with huge potential, crippled by the producer. If it could function as a PDA as well, and had even just basic file reading capabilities, it would be such a more powerful tool. As is, what is it other than a more expensive iPod + phone?

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I'm starting to think the iPhone is gonna kinda iStink.

Apple is on a roll right now, but let's not act like everything they do is success. Remember that whole "iPod by HP thing"? And the g4 cube?

In fact I'm calling it right now, the iPhone shall suffer the same faith as the g4 cube. Stunning design, but it just won't find success in the market place.

G4 Cube may not had sold much, but this doesnt show that Cube was a failure.. It was just a bit overpriced and only the people who could afford bought it.. Other than that, Cube was a fantastic machine, powerful yet elegant, fast yet virtually silent!.. It was a Ferrari-like machine and even today I would love to have a Cube in my living room.

iPhone will surely sell more than Cube, but even it doesnt, I dont really care because the more something sells, the less "special" it becomes. I already accepted to give a fortune to it whenever it becomes available in Turkey and I dont give a thing if its successfully selling or not..

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Um... er.... why has Apple crippled their phone?

No 3rd party apps = smartphone buyers won't buy it. At $599 + 24*contract fee, if smartphone buyers won't buy it, no one will.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Apple has the brand clout to have released this phone on their own and had no problems with distribution. The reason that they had to partner with Cingular is because they needed a carrier to subsidize the price of this thing. There is a LOT of expensive technology in this phone whether you are willing to see it or not. I'd say that with no cotract you were looking at an $800.00 phone.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Who pays $600 for a cell phone besides business users who are going to require Outlook integration?

Phones which sync with iSync can also sync with Entourage, but the lack of Outlook synchronization is definitely a show-stopper.

britishempire

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
lack of freedom is the main show stopper here.

no 3rd party apps, no freedom with regard to carrier... it's a shame, the actual DEVICE looks awesome, but the BS surrounding it might kill it off before it gets a chance to become established in the marketplace

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
macFanDave's FAQ's

Was I excited by the iPhone when Steve showed it off? Yes.

Was I prepared to buy one or two (one for the wife) and pay Cingular whatever exorbitant costs it demands to buy and use them? Yes.

If the answers to Pogue's questions are still the same in June, will I still be making this move? No . . . make that a "Hell, no!"

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Was I excited by the iPhone when Steve showed it off? Yes.

Was I prepared to buy one or two (one for the wife) and pay Cingular whatever exorbitant costs it demands to buy and use them? Yes.

If the answers to Pogue's questions are still the same in June, will I still be making this move? No . . . make that a "Hell, no!"

Do you remind me of the surgeon from scrubs that Turk labels a 'question talker'? Yes you do... :p lol

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
It should be posible to move files between the Mac or PC-Windows and the iPhone. At least from the computer to the iPhone, like Keynote and PowerPoint files for wireless computerless presentations from the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.