Point of Sale program

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacBandit, Apr 24, 2003.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm looking for a POS that will do inventory and basic sales. I'm hoping for a really basic program that is either free or very very cheap. Maybe there's a unix one that could be recompiled easily.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Try this thread on bar codes.

There are some Palm OS inventory trackers, though I have found no free ones.

Try Tucows.com . They have 4 Mac POS and inventory programs listed. Just select Mac OS and type in POS.

3. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Thanks for the input. I'll investigate thouse links.

4. conceptdev macrumors regular

5. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I just did. Thanks for the input but I didn't find anything there.

I'm still looking I've tried all the options given me and so far I've just come across very buggy demo programs.

6. conceptdev macrumors regular

Hurmm - could you do a little php frontend for SQL?

7. conceptdev macrumors regular

Just saw this at sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qballsinventory/

Might be a starting point ? If you find anything cool for inventory please let me know - I am looking for open source inventory at the moment, but for a pretty big manufacturing firm.

8. conceptdev macrumors regular

Oh this sounds good for you

http://sourceforge.net/projects/custom/

9. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Thanks for the help I try those both out but I'll deal with the X11 app last as I don't have any experience with that.

10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

1. How big and/or complex do you need it?

2. Do you need to see the source code?

3. Can it run in the Terminal?

4. Does it need to be networked?

5. Does it need to do barcode reading?

Depending on your answers, I might have something I wrote a while back that you can use; it's a fairly simple program to write, especially without barcode and networkability.

11. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I just need it to organize the inventory of my garage as I am doing some service work out of my home for friends now. I would like to be able to input part numbers into it along with cost and retail prices. It would be nice if it would automatically figure retail based on the cost given preset percentage. The other part that I would like is to be able to create an invoice from the inventory showing all the parts and the work down. This is so they have something for there records so they know and I know what has been done on the bike. That's all it has to do.

I could probably develop a spread sheet of sorts to do it but I was just looking for some premade software. Also a spreadsheet isn't always the nicest thing to look at when you are trying to organize inventory and created invoices.

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Hmm... I think it might work. I'd have to make some adjustments, mostly for the invoice formatting. The only thing I'm not quite clear on is the "It would be nice if it would automatically figure retail based on the cost given preset percentage." I'm not quite sure what you mean there.

13. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

I just mean that for any given part number I enter there will be a cost and a retail price. It would be nice if when I enter the cost of the part it would automatically calculate the retail price based on a preset percentage amount.

14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

hmm..I seem to recall Mat from the little app factory made one for his major project in software design at school. If you ask him nicely, he may give it to you or do it over so it's better...

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well we use POSIM, its really good and does so much stuff. the only thing they havent done is show interest on a mac os x version, but it runs great in classic.

iJon

16. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

How much is it?

[mmmdreg] Thanks, for the help. Should I just look up the, "little app factory"? Also should I mention you?

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im not sure, we have had it since the 80's and we have our whole customer database on it from the 80's till now, quite a program for its time. im not sure how much it is, type posim in google and you will find their page. they may have info on a newer version.

iJon

18. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

The Little App Factory is the place to go. It's not made by them but their lead developer made one a while ago so he could give it to you or replicate it fairly soon I'd say. Otherwise, just go for whatever these dudes are suggesting.