Point of screensaver?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacRumoron, Mar 18, 2006.

1. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

I have been wondering.. is there a point in using a screensaver?

Does it save energy or do people use it because it looks cool?

2. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

Even though it's not a big problem with LCD's not using a screen saver and leaving your screen on the same thing can cause screen burn where the picture is enscribed into your screen.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As jamesW says, they were originally created to help preserve the image quality of CRTs. They do still have a use though – security. If you have to leave your computer unattended, just flick the screensaver on, and snooping undesirables can't get on it in unless they know your password.

Personally though, I just use them because they look cool :cool:

4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

They are also useful on LCDs. Image "memory" effects sometimes cause shadows to appear on an LCD that has been sitting still for long periods of time. This is not a permanent condition, but it does require turning off the monitor for a few hours to "reset" the crystals.

Older plasma displays are particularly vulnerable to burn-in of the permanent variety. Newer ones have gotten much better, but the risk is not completely gone. And of course there's the security aspect, as mentioned by Jaffa Cake, and the CRT protection already mentioned by JamesW.

5. MacRumoron thread starter macrumors 6502

ic ic.. thanks guys

now i know why its called "screensaver" lol

6. iShane macrumors 6502a

Hahaha. I just think they're cool to look at. :p

7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I use to love watching the After Dark screen savers play on my old Macs as a kid. Flying Toasters was classic.

8. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Aside from securty, it can be a good presentation tool.

I just used my PB to run an iPhoto slide show, then present a, and then by using a screen saver slide show (and a quick corner) go back to a simple slide show, all seamlessly with out using a an AV switcher or showing more than a moment of a mouse move. I could have used iTunes for the lead in and lead out music, instead I used my iPod. Some LCD projectors go to sleep (ours looses the keystone settings) if nothing active happens on the screen for a time, so for me the screen saver serves as a good tool.