Points to ponder. Not Mac Related

Discussion in 'Community' started by Pin-Fisher, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Pin-Fisher macrumors member

Points to Ponder.
    If you had bought $1000.00 of Nortel Stock one year ago, it would be worth $49.00 today.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 on the original $1000.

With Worldcom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

If you had bought $1000.00 of Budweiser (the beer not the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for .10 deposit in some states, you would have $214.00

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Clearly, if it isn't Mac related (you even stated so), then this should go in the Community Discussion, not the Gen. Mac Discussion area.

All right, Fishmaster. I'll engage in a discussion. I have noticed that these stock prices have gone ridiculously low. Have you donw a comparison of the stock market from a month ago to now? It's down about 2000 (I last checked a few days ago) points. That's 20 percent. I'd say that if you can find a company that has lost less than 15% within the past 30 days or so you might want to invest there.

If you take a look at Apple, they have only fallen about 13 or 14% within the past month, although the stock has been going down for a while.

If I were to invest in stock, I would wait until the near end of winter and invest in the gas companies, then sell near the end of summer. No, I'm not a genius at this, but I have noticed this pattern with the gas companies.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I received this info as email from a friend - one of those that travels the internet and eventually you see more than once - I am kind of surprised to have seen it here, though.

4. Pin-Fisher thread starter macrumors member

No offense...but I really do not know anything about the stock market...I just thought it was funny...

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot..please note the newbie status....I didnt notice this area..

5. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Re: Points to ponder. Not Mac Related

wha u expect, look at the canadian economy ;), its still cruddy in electronics n such up here
    even corel is doing poorly..n they sold their linux to that us company
    if corel wants to get anywhere, they should make wordperfect better n sell it on macosx ;)

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Points to ponder. Not Mac Related

This is in someone's sig right now, too...

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i think i'll still take worldcom stock over budweiser...:)

8. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(Pin-Fisher)No offense...but I really do not know anything about the stock market...I didnt notice this area..

Nah, no big deal. And, by my count, you had 31 posts when you brought this up. So you really aren't much of a newbie... :p :rolleyes:

I'm not an expert, either. But the prominence of such a drop in the SM (Stock Market) just seems a bit scary. Not to bore you to death, but I remember when a few years back the DJIA dropped over 500 points in one day, and people were trying to sell stuff like crazy, by dropping things out of windows and having someone wait for the FedEx Air deliv. to run off and sell the package. (I saw it on a news channel live, so I know what I'm talking about.) I can't imagine how SM-crazy people are acting these days with several 100 pt.+ drops in such a short amount of time.

BTW, I realize I am bringing up this thread from a half death, so don't bother pointing that out. :cool: