Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
FWIW,
a) I thought the levels come (comparatively) quite easily in this game. After two years of Ingress, I'm level 13. Here in Niantic's newer game, Pokémon Go, I'm level 21, a mere 16 days after release. Wasn't expecting this to go so fast. I assumed that was either to match up with levels in previous Pokémon games (I've never played any of them, so I don't know) or, I don't know, to keep new players interested.

Here's some datamined info about the game and leveling: https://docs.google.com/document/u/...u9ZYBWIXGYMRk40XzOJXZ4pAiFc/mobilebasic?pli=1

As for cheating. Here are a few I've heard about aside from seeing someone tape their phone to a toy train track for hatching eggs, and another person 3D printing a template for throwing pokeballs:

-Location warping
-Joystick on the map for walking
-Bot which auto catches pokemon, visits pokestops, transfers pokemon
So yeah, if that stuff isn't fixed, the game is gonna be in the crapper rather quickly.

Reactions: CarlJ

KenBotwinick

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
When it first came out I thought, "Holy crap! My wife and stepdaughters are getting off their butts and going walking. GREAT!" Now I'm thinking, "Holy crap! My wife and stepdaughters spent two hours a night every night this week playing a meaningless game instead of doing any chores around the house. Great…" And I think this as I continue to take care of all my responsibilities around the house and otherwise.

Addictive escapism that makes you more physically active is still just addictive escapism…

modul8tr

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2002
Addictive escapism that makes you more physically active is still just addictive escapism…

lol true, but sometimes addictive escapism is exactly what you need and there's nothing wrong with that. Whether it's a book you can't put down, House of Cards on Netflix, or Pokeman Go. Fun is fun, and honestly people need more of it. They'll live longer and *enjoy* it.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Yeah, you've gotta be completely incompetent to not plan on scaling to the largest mobile game in history in a matter of a couple days. :rolleyes:

From what I've read, the main issues were simply so many people trying to sign up at one time. Account creation. Basically, one time spikes. That's why there was no point in delaying expansion. Get all the sign up spikes out of the way, so you don't have to deal with them over a longer period.

When it's Google backing the product
Are you referring to the game developers or Apple? ;)

I was making a sly reference to the fact that this is how Google 'releases' a lot of software (i.e. with a 'beta' tag and no promise that it will actually work).

But LOL yes... point taken about Apple as well. Fair call.
[doublepost=1469232619][/doublepost]
Yeah, you've gotta be completely incompetent to not plan on scaling to the largest mobile game in history in a matter of a couple days. :rolleyes:

From what I've read, the main issues were simply so many people trying to sign up at one time. Account creation. Basically, one time spikes. That's why there was no point in delaying expansion. Get all the sign up spikes out of the way, so you don't have to deal with them over a longer period.

The game started crashing when it was only available in Australia (where there were maybe 1 million users max). The delayed roll-out was definitely a testing experiment (in production... which is poor practice in itself).

Either way, adequate performance testing could have identified the theoretical limits of the game. A game that's not capable of being played by a limited number of people in Australia in never going to work in the USA and Europe.

Simple maths and teating there, but they did it all in production without a contingency plan.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
I've never played this game, and I already hate it. There's a really nice park just a couple hundred feet outside of the building that I live in. It has been full of Pokemon addicts playing this stupid game for the last few weeks. This damn game has ruined the park. I like to take walks at the end of the day, but with the crowd of people all playing this dumb ass game the park isn't a nice place to be anymore. What total loser wastoid needs to play a game constantly for hours and hours? There's something seriously wrong with this. I can actually walk around with my iPhone in my pocket the whole time, but it seems like most people these days must always have their phone out texting, gaming, talking, etc. They forget to enjoy their surroundings. There's nothing good about a game that causes people to behave this way. I just hope that they all get smacked with really high data charges.
[doublepost=1469233281][/doublepost]

Physically active? Most of the people that I see playing this game are sitting on their asses taking up space on park benches. Couch potatoes in the park.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
And out of the woodwork crawled every cynical, sourpuss misery guts to crap all over the game and people who play because.......who even knows? It's a game that doesn't involve sitting on your ass. People are enjoying it and that angers people for some reason.
It's great fodder for building your ignore list. You don't need that noise in your life.
[doublepost=1469241505][/doublepost]
-Location warping
-Joystick on the map for walking
-Bot which auto catches pokemon, visits pokestops, transfers pokemon
So yeah, if that stuff isn't fixed, the game is gonna be in the crapper rather quickly.
Can you please explain these one closer? Niantic has already implemented tons of anti-cheating mechanisms from its experience with Ingress, particularly against GPS spoofing. There's really not much you can do to people who tape their phones to toy trains and the like (good on them for being inventive I say), but bots and spoofs should be easier to spot.

If you just think of Ingress as a big beta test for Pokémon GO it makes a lot more sense.

Reactions: CarlJ

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
"Oh good, I was wondering why there weren't any Pokemon articles today."

"I guess we're on... POKErumors!!11!"

"Something something watch bands"

Anyways I'll be surprised if Apple doesn't make some sort of nod to the game at their next keynote.
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if the 30% Apple makes from iap off Pokemon go will net them more money in a week than selling all those extra watchbands lol

Reactions: AleXXXa

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
It's great fodder for building your ignore list. You don't need that noise in your life.
[doublepost=1469241505][/doublepost]
Can you please explain these one closer? Niantic has already implemented tons of anti-cheating mechanisms from its experience with Ingress, particularly against GPS spoofing. There's really not much you can do to people who tape their phones to toy trains and the like (good on them for being inventive I say), but bots and spoofs should be easier to spot.

If you just think of Ingress as a big beta test for Pokémon GO it makes a lot more sense.

Ok, here are the three of the main cheats being used:
1) GPS warping, which lets people jump from location to location. This one gets people temporarily banned. A lot of Chinese players warped to Japan once their servers were up to take over their gyms with high level pokemon.
2) Directional pad is added to the screen of the game, which allows the player to walk around the map. As far as I know, people aren't getting banned for this as often.
3) Automated bot application, which uses gps to run around, catching pokemon, getting things from pokestops, transferring pokemon, etc. This one also doesn't get banned often, since it doesn't warp people, but emulates regular walking.

Reactions: ErikGrim and CarlJ

Talkingtoaster

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
UK
My mother died earlier this month and Pokémon Go has been an amazing distraction for me and a way to get myself out of the house in the evenings. Staying busy and distracted is the only thing that keeps me from collapsing, so I am thankful that it came out when it did.

Good for you man, keep at it. Same situ with my Nan. Keep busy and keep the demons at bay.
[doublepost=1469247939][/doublepost]
Crashing into cars, getting robbed by someone, probably raped too.

P.s. so before this game there was no reason to go outside? ways people rationalize amaze me.

Such negative energy and bitterness. What is your pain in life?
[doublepost=1469248255][/doublepost]
Really? I live my life just fine and i don't need GPS in my watch to run or a game to go outside. This is what normal people do. People like you on the other hand ratiolize and think of ways hows it has changed their lives when in reality those lives could be changed if there was will to do so in the first place.

rationalise or rationalize?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
My mother died earlier this month and Pokémon Go has been an amazing distraction for me and a way to get myself out of the house in the evenings. Staying busy and distracted is the only thing that keeps me from collapsing, so I am thankful that it came out when it did.
So sorry about your loss it must be hard! Allow yourself to mourn your loss when time is right... so you can feel relief.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
iPhone dies way too fast....... If Apple makes the phone any thinner and neglects battery life improvement......................

Pokemon backlash queued up at the Septemebr announcement!

Reactions: AleXXXa

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'm pretty sure account creation is neither the main problem nor especially taxing to the game's servers.

There's two ways to sign up/in, one is with an existing Pokémon Trainers Club account (and I don't actually know anything more about those as I didn't take that route), and the other, presented first, is a standard Google account, like you'd use with GMail and such - I'm pretty sure the majority of people who would play his game already had those. Ingress, their other game, only uses Google accounts, so I suspect the second login method was a requirement given to them by the Pokémon company. There were clearly problems with a ton of new people wanting to get Pokémon Trainers Club accounts (whether because they thought it sounded cooler or offered some advantage or maybe just nostalgia), and Pokémon Company International (which owns the Pokémon IP rights and handles the TV shows and trading cards and such, and is quite separate from Niantic, who developed the game) were totally unprepared to handle this influx of traffic. Signing up/signing in with a google account was never especially a problem.

But once you are authenticated and in the game... just like Niantic's previous game, Ingress (which also overlays a game world with special locations - the same ones in fact - on a real-world map), the game has to keep constant track of what everyone in the game is doing in real time. Not which exact square of sidewalk you're standing on, but certainly which city block you're in, and all the updated game data for the surrounding area. Any interaction you have with any PokéStop or Gym has to be uploaded right away to update your inventory and the Gym's status. Any time you catch a new Pokémon, that has to be updated to the server right away (keep in mind you could at any time turn your phone off without specifically logging out and then log in on a different device, and you wouldn't want your inventory to be out of sync, or some newly captured Pokémon to go missing). It has to keep a constantly updated map of what Pokémons are available right now in your local area, so when those friends run up and say they caught a Charizard or whatever by that tree over there, it'll be there for you too (funny, I was hanging out in a park at midnight last week, with fifteen other players, and within a span of a few seconds, a collective gasp and yell, of "CHARIZARD!!!" went up from the entire group - that is damn good synchronization on the server's part). The server needs to keep a constantly updated cache on your phone of your inventory (gear and critters), your location, nearby map data, nearby critter data, cooldown timer for every nearby PokéStop, affiliation, strength and critter inventory for every nearby Gym, countdown timers for every special item you've recently used (lucky eggs and such). Anyway, it's a lot of data, and it needs to be kept constantly up-to-date, between you and the server, and they need to ensure everyone nearby has properly synchronized data for shared resources (if you see the Gym is Red level 3, and your friend sees it as Blue level 2, that's a problem). So, when you're playing, your phone is in contact with the servers at least several times a minute (one of the reasons the game eats battery).

Now, I recall reading before the game was released, Niantic was thinking they might get as many as ten million players eventually. They got well over twenty million the first week. All in constant contact with the servers (not just for account creation, but all the constant data traffic and database updating described above) whenever they're out playing. That is why the servers fell over, and continued to fall over, off and on, for the first week or so. Not merely account creation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Sorry to hear this Julie. We all need a release when something tragic happens and I am glad this aided you in staying busy. Best wishes to you.

Reactions: Weaselboy

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Ok, here are the three of the main cheats being used:
1) GPS warping, which lets people jump from location to location. This one gets people temporarily banned. A lot of Chinese players warped to Japan once their servers were up to take over their gyms with high level pokemon.
2) Directional pad is added to the screen of the game, which allows the player to walk around the map. As far as I know, people aren't getting banned for this as often.
3) Automated bot application, which uses gps to run around, catching pokemon, getting things from pokestops, transferring pokemon, etc. This one also doesn't get banned often, since it doesn't warp people, but emulates regular walking.
I'm taking that 2 and 3 need hacked sideloaded apps? Wouldn't that be easy to detect?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
When it's Google backing the product

I was making a sly reference to the fact that this is how Google 'releases' a lot of software (i.e. with a 'beta' tag and no promise that it will actually work).

But LOL yes... point taken about Apple as well. Fair call.
[doublepost=1469232619][/doublepost]

The game started crashing when it was only available in Australia (where there were maybe 1 million users max). The delayed roll-out was definitely a testing experiment (in production... which is poor practice in itself).

Either way, adequate performance testing could have identified the theoretical limits of the game. A game that's not capable of being played by a limited number of people in Australia in never going to work in the USA and Europe.

Simple maths and teating there, but they did it all in production without a contingency plan.
Not saying you are wrong, per se, but it was never actually limited to Australia. People were downloading the APK on Android from all over the world. Certainly the numbers raise dramatically as official releases hit other appstores, but I am willing to bet within the first 2-3 days the numbers were vastly north of one million users.

I concede that it could have been better managed, but that is the case with most viral games, to be frank. Many years ago I used to play world of warcraft and patch day (and especially expansion day) resulted in utter chaos for weeks. They just had more players than they were able to handle.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So Apple makes $3B for doing nothing but putting it in their monopolistic app store? What a racket!

Because $3B is nothing to them.
[doublepost=1469260779][/doublepost]
I'm glad you chimed in, it really added to the discussion.

What makes me think I should offer my opinion? Because this is a forum for discussion of varying opinions. It is also the United States of America where I can say whatever I want and you have to accept that. What makes you think you should offer yours? If you don't like debate, than perhaps a forum in not a good fit.

Deju Vu' Cineplex, First off, There are those who want to play Pokemon Go and those who don't, either way, respect is priority. Secondly, See, your demeanor and lack of decorum to other Forum members is widely becoming apparent here. Even after a Moderator just deleted your recent posts for the exact same issues. Maybe it's you versus the other forum members who TRY engaging in discussion versus bickering. Hyperbole much?

Last edited:
Reactions: Weaselboy

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
iPhone dies way too fast....... If Apple makes the phone any thinner and neglects battery life improvement......................

Pokemon backlash queued up at the Septemebr announcement!
That is true, you need a battery bank with an iPhone , ideally you want a phone that accepts spare batteries , like the note 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.