Pokémon-Inspired 'Pocket Mortys' Game Hits the App Store Today

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 13, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Adult Swim Games last week announced a brand-new mobile game called Pocket Mortys, which launches on the App Store today. Based off of the network's hit show Rick and Morty, the game is set up as a parody of the popular Pokémon franchise and will set players up against a collection of alternate versions of Morty who are under the control of evil alien trainers.

[​IMG]

As described by our sister site TouchArcade in a full preview, Pocket Mortys puts players in the shoes of Rick and tasks them with fighting, capturing, and training as many diverse Mortys as they can to have the best possible collection in the game. Adult Swim Games' new app eschews Pokémon's complex mechanics of elemental type characters for a simpler and more random "Rock, Paper, Scissors" system, focusing more on rewarding fans of the show than offering deep systems for more intense gamers.
    In total, users will be able to capture and train over 70 versions of Morty throughout the game, including Mustache Morty, Wizard Morty, and Cronenberg Morty. Pocket Mortys will also let players craft items from itemized references to the show, engage in side quests, and interact with characters like Bird Person, Mr. Meeseeks, and more.

[​IMG]

Rick and Morty fans can download Pocket Mortys [Direct Link] for free today on the App Store.

Article Link: Pokémon-Inspired 'Pocket Mortys' Game Hits the App Store Today

2. antman2x2, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Yeah it will be a lot of fun, besides the 10,000 micro transactions that will run the game into the ground.

This will be another great game destroyed by micro transactions.

EDIT: I read the article, please stop telling me I didn't. At the current time there are no in app purchases. I know. But with a game like this it's bound to happen.

3. 4jasontv macrumors 6502

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Did you read the article or just skip over it entirely? They repeatedly mentioned that there are currently no IAP.

I wonder what the plan with monetizing this is... like, did they create it just for fun? It seems like a lot of effort to put into something, even if it's a watered down version of Pokemon.

5. macaddict06 macrumors regular

Pocket Mortys is already on the App store. Downloading it as we speak.

Also, the app lists IAP under the Get button.

6. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 603

keysofanxiety

Your priority should be to read the article, rather than making the first comment.

8. 33coe macrumors newbie

The in app purchases are found at the Blipz n Chipz station once you get to the main city with the portal to the other battling dimensions. You can get items from buying credits, 1 dollar a credit, $20 for 40. Doesn't look like it affects gameplay other than getting more items, unlike other games where you can't advance much further without buying in app purchases. Game is ****ing hilarious too.

9. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Well...
    Unless your age has made you give up on cool- check it out!
    Side-splittingly funny w/ just the right amount of cynicism.
    The characters are (very) loosely based off Doc & Marty and get in hijinx in parallel universes or alien planets.

10. breather macrumors member

breather

11. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

I read the article, please stop telling me I didn't. At the current time there are no in app purchases. I know. But with a game like this it's bound to happen.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Can't wait for Yellow Version to come to the DS in Feburary! I'll be able to relive my childhood weekends!

13. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Damn it Macrumors! Searched for the game after reading this, and I just ended up playing for like 2 hours! =S

14. Knighstalker macrumors regular

Knighstalker

I bet you can't wait until MacRumors has an article about a program that shows where medical marijuana dispensaries are located!

15. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

I love Pokemon. I even bought a used Gameboy Pocket and the Pokemon game.
    This game is crap.

16. mroffbeat macrumors member

mroffbeat

What does the bundle of coupons for 3,99€ do?

17. Markoth macrumors regular

Markoth

I'm guessing it's to attract viewers to the show. Certainly has piqued my interest.

18. 33coe macrumors newbie

Wait, why are people saying there are no in app purchases? There actually are... the article is wrong. It's not found in the menu, it's found at the many Blipz and Chipz stations in the game.

The people who are saying there aren't, did you only read the article, or did you actually play the game? If you actually played the game, and went to a Blipz and Chipz station, you'd clearly see there are IAPs... Like I said, there are IAPs from $1 to $20. $1 for 1 coupon, $20 for 40 coupons.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    Did you blindly believe the article or did you actually play the game? The article was wrong from the start, there have been IAPs since the first minute the game was released. It's not found at the menu or anything, which is why the author might have missed it, but it's found in the many Blipz n Chipz arcade booths in the game... $1 for 1 coupon, $20 for 40, with increments in between.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    No, you were right actually, there were IAP's in the game from the start.