Pole Vaulting

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by polevault139, Feb 25, 2007.

1. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2006
    Well it's been a month into the track season here in Illinois and we had our first meet of the year last Thursday. As I think you can tell from my name I do pole vault. I also had to run a few 400's which is always fun:rolleyes: So I just wanted to post some pictures because I am pretty excited about how I did.

I cleared 13', and on the one picture where I am inverted the attempt is at 13'6" but I hit the bar on the way down even though I had alot of air over it. Oh yea... I did win the meet.

Wish me luck in the upcoming season, my goal is 14'6" to 15'

Attached Files:

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Good luck!

So, I've never done pole vaulting (and probably won't, now that I'm vaguely old and slightly less vaguely decrepit). What's the experience like? What are the chances of the pole snapping? Does it ever feel like you're toying with gravity?

As a sport it seems simultaneously ecstatic and sort of ... poorly thought out?
  3. polevault139 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 24, 2006
    It is probably the coolest feeling i have ever experienced. The pole doesn't snap too often. I have only broken one in my 2.5 years vaulting. If I am toying with gravity I think it has a sense of humor because when I think I'm going to land off the mat I somehow always end up on it.

There is alot more to pole vaulting that I think everyone realizes. There are so many technical aspects that you need to master just to clear a low bar. There are the plant, swing, and inversion just to make it simple.

But to answer your question it may look poorly thought out but in fact it is a very fine balance between reckless abandon and precise movement.