Police chief denounces 'cowardly' iPhone users monitoring ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 14, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Of course Lanier is going to defend the use of speed traps (which are illegal where I come from) and speed cameras. Frankly I don't condone reckless driving but I have a heavy foot myself and it would be nice to not get popped. I am well aware it is best for me and the safety of others but frankly I'm not going to BS people and say I never speed.

Now that I know of this app I'm going to check it out. I think it will be interesting to see if they can actually outlaw this. My guess is they'll get Apple to take it down and it will wind up in the jailbreak scene.

Lanier is a completely ***** though with the way she is bitching and moaning about this app.

3. macrumors 6502

i cant find the app on the app store. help?

4. macrumors member

Trapster

5. macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

i-Phone. :p

Anyways, looks like Ive got a new App to download.
    Thanks for the tip Lanier! :D

6. macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Its alright for iPhone users to speed because they are cool.

7. macrumors regular

have they only just found out about this

Tom Tom and Garmin have had speed camera overlays for years

most in built sat navs also are able to have speed camera overlay as POI ( points of Interest )

the hand held ones are also able to calculate your speed and warn you as well

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this correct?

9. macrumors regular

I use NMobile... is that the one they are talking about?

10. macrumors G4

Nonsense. Is it OK for newspapers to publish the locations of speed traps, but it is not OK to notify iPhone owners? The newspapers get the information from official State surveys. Is it OK to for the State to spend taxpayer money conducting these surveys, but it not OK to share it with the taxpayers who own iPhones? The Governor just signed legislation into law that removes the financial incentive for local governments to setup speed traps. Do you believe that the incentive should be restored for drivers who own iPhones?

11. macrumors 6502a

windywoo

A newspaper won't bleep the location of a speedtrap when you come close, and I hope you don't have the newspaper open reading it as you drive.

Of course this list is available and you can just check your route and see if there is a speedtrap there, but that does require extra effort on your part and won't be as accurate.

What this app is doing is making it easier to get away with speeding, are you going to tell me that's a good thing?

12. macrumors 601

sammich

Well, it's apparently Australian to flash oncoming traffic with your headlights if you see a mobile speed camera set up.

It's only happened to me once. At first I was confused and annoyed at the driver with his flashing lights, but lo and behold about 15 seconds of driving and I could see the cruiser down the main straight.

I find it very hard to stay under the speed limit, it's just so boring...

BUT running red lights is a completely different thing, I would never consider it, even when there is no traffic in the early hours of the morning. Luckily for me, EVERY red light and fixed speed camera is sign posted for 1km before it.

Does this work for Australia?

13. macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I cannot believe they had the NERVE to use the word "cowardly" when in fact the use of cameras instead of human beings to catch speeders is the height of cowardice. Avoiding technology that's sole purpose is to increase revenue for a city isn't cowardice...it's just plain smart. It would be the height of stupidity to go speeding through a camera zone and any alert device that will STOP you from speeding through that zone is going to help save lives. Arguing that you should be ALLOWED to speed through that zone (so they can ticket you and make money) is like saying speeding itself should be condoned, which can cost lives. Here, the MOTIVE is MONEY so of course they WANT you to speed in those areas or else they won't make money. But that contradicts their claims about safety since they can only collect the money if your speeding in the first place. Radar detectors and other alert devices remind you to slow down BEFORE you enter an area where it could be dangerous to go fast. Trying to ban those devices is a good indication that the city/state wants your money and little else. It has NOTHING to do with wanting drivers to slow down. In fact, they are COUNTING on you speeding to make that money. The insurance companies love it when you speed also since they get to jack up your rates, thus screwing you from both ends.

14. macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

Yet again demonstrating that the police department cares more about making money than fighting crime. I got an idea for them, quite wasting time writing speeding tickets and start patrolling the darn streets and catch some of these criminals who get away with so much.

15. macrumors 6502a

Sounds like she is more worried about loosing $29 million this year than she is in controlling speed and reckless driving. The only reinforces the speed control in those designated areas. If I know there are cameras on a certain stretch of road, either from personal experience, from an app or from some other source, I will drive accordingly. Either way the problem is solved.

16. macrumors 6502

Nonsense. It has everything to do with wanting drivers to slow down. If drivers can't be sure where the speed devices are, they have to drive more slowly everywhere. Conversely, if they know where the speed devices aren't they'll feel free to go at autobahn speeds through those areas, endangering everyone.

And what on earth could be the justification for needing to know about traffic-light cameras? Your inherent "right" to run red lights?

I'm saddened but not surprised by the number of people who try to justify breaking the law just because they want to. Selfishness reigns supreme.

If you think speed limits serve no purpose, ask your legislative representatives to ban them. Otherwise, follow the law -- or take your medicine when you get caught not doing so.

17. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The IIHS provides some pretty (at least on the surface) compelling data for red light cams...

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/rlr.html

I do always find it suspicious, though, when a governmental or law enforcement agent makes a claim that a practice saves lives without offering any data. What's the data on speeding cameras?

18. macrumors 6502

speeding laws should be abolished

red light cameras are moneymaking graft devices - they increase accidents, they are mainly used to make money from those rolling through a right on red.

19. macrumors G4

So your object is to the speed of the warning? Earth to windywoo: The general trend in technology is for things to get faster. This app allows speed trap warnings to join the trend.

BTW, people read lots of things while they drive--including newspapers.

Not at all. As others have said before me, speed trap warnings help drivers to avoid speeding.

20. macrumors 6502a

windywoo

If the government are making money from these cameras doesn't that show that they work? If people weren't speeding and breaking the law they wouldn't be making money. If you want them to take away the cameras, stop speeding and there will be no need for them. Would the cameras be more acceptable if there were no fines, just jail sentences?

In fact this is ingenious, making money from people breaking the law.

21. macrumors 6502a

windywoo

What this app does is allow the driver to know the exact location, no guesswork, enabling them to speed until they reach the camera, slow down when they reach it and then speed up again when they pass. That doesn't sound to me like it helps them avoid speeding.

Who the **** reads while they drive? One eye on the road one eye on the book?

And here is the police' point in a nutshell, if you aren't speeding and not breaking the law, why would you want to know the location of the cameras?

22. macrumors P6

dukebound85

riiiiight

save lives or to generate revenue.......its the latter:cool:

dont kid yourself

23. macrumors 68020

danpass

That's exactly what it is. Anyone who says different is deceived actually.

If it was about speed enforcement, reckless driving etc then there would be a patrol car nice and visible on the side of the road.

From what I've read and heard from officers, genuine speeders are easy to catch.

Its similar to red light cameras. Once fewer and fewer people started running red lights the township began bitching about the loss of revenue (instead of touting the fact that fewer people are running red lights).

OWNED!

24. macrumors G5

nagromme

Anything that stops the guy from killing me is a plus in my view. I'd just as soon the guy didn't have any warning.

People "want to speed." That selfishness doesn't impress me much. I want lots of things.

25. macrumors G4

Precisely. You don't get out much, do you?