Police find 8 Ohio kids locked in cages

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jsw, Sep 13, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From CNN:
    And yet no charges were filed....

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yet. I can't believe that Children's Services won't bring charges against them.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Apparently, all the kids were found to be in good health. I guess it's okay to lock your kids up in tiny cages at night, as long as you feed and bathe them. :mad:

At least the kids are out of the house...for now.

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

When I first saw the title of the thread I thought surely it must be a joke! :eek: Maybe the relevant authorities are too shocked to act as necessary? Nah... no excuses, they're there to do their jobs!

6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I can't believe they were able to adopt/be foster parents to eight kids. You'd think that a little investigation of the house might have turned up the cages before all eight kids got there... one was only 1 year old.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Those kids were adopted/ foster children... which means the 'adoptive parents' were probably paid monthly for hosting the foster kids. :rolleyes: This is pretty horrific.

9. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

As far as I can tell, they weren't allowed to breed - just adopt/foster other kids and cage them.

Edit: too slow! hard to type with a ~3-month-old on your lap...

10. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Stories like this make me very very angry. What kind of world do we live in where people do these things to children and aren't even getting charged? I almost became a social worker, and every time I read something like this I regret my decision not to.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

All is well... just think, s/he is on your warm, comfy, soft, caring lap instead of in a wooden cage. ;)

12. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Her cage is being washed out....

Anyway, it appears that 8 of the kids were adopted/foster, and there were 3 of their biological kids there as well. As far as I can tell so far, only the foster/adopted kids were caged. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Gasp! That is horrible! This is even worse than if all the children were caged-- this shows that truly, these so called 'parents' knew what proper behavior entails and didn't do so for the other eight kids, how sad! Way to make it even harder for adopted/foster children to develop into responsible, caring adults.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I get the feeling that the adoptees were all 'special' children, and they were caged to 'protect themselves' at night. I don't think they were caged 24/7. While horrific, some of the listed 'specialnesses' pretty much means that these kids won't be responsible adults no matter how hard one tries.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its like ,hey you smoking a joint your going to Jail! but hey you locking kids in them cages is ok. Just another fine example of Govt in action. Cant wait for Bill to tear into this on the Factor. :cool:

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I swear that this is not typical behavior in Ohio...I mean, we do know how to make iron cages, which are much more secure. Just the other day I was at the weekly witch-burning and noticed this new-fangled round thing. They call it a wheel and claim it will make our lives much easier...I'm not so sure, it sounds too much like that crazy guy who claimed the whole world was round! What a quack! I'm glad we burned that guy at the stake...

:rolleyes: :mad: Seriousy, in this day and age.... :mad:

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Why I love my wife, part 504

I sent the Fox link to my wife and here is her response:

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

cages? damn, at least they weren't in poor health. But I'd like to know what the circumstances were that led to them being put in cages.....and it seems only a select few out of the 11 were incarcerated.

But why 11 children?!?! That's just not right

D

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I don't necessarily agree... I've known some families in high school w/ 6-10 children and they were just fine, if not 'better' than some other families I've witnessed.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Large families are great, though with foster care always in short supply it may be all too easy for abusive foster parents to have access to additional victims.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Apparently you're not Catholic. :)

22. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

You misread - he thought 11 was a surprisingly small number. ;)

Disclaimer: I was raised Catholic.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

our society is not set up in a way that can sustain families that have a bunch of kids. anything over 3 is really pushing it. and much of the time, the larger families stem from those less able to care for them. but either way, it creates problems.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is a very heinous crime. Couldn't understand why charges haven't been brought already. I feel so sorry for the children. Not even a way to treat animals. It's all beyond words. :mad: :(

I'm sorry, mods please combine the threads. :eek:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=149055

My prayers are with the children.

25. lopresmb macrumors 6502

stuff like that sickens me, who knows what other soft of abuse the went through as well