Police Log Confirms FBI Role In Arrests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 3, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

wash post

a secret FBI intelligence arresting suspected-lefties on trumped up charges because they're wearing black and "hanging around"?

no, that's disturbing at all.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know what to say.

Sadly, I'm not at all surprised.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They don't call them Bureau of Investigation for nothing.

Civil rights violations my eye. Anyone milling around looking suspicious is fair game for a little questioning especially leading up to a large public event.

4. Queso macrumors G4

The only thing that concerns me about this is that the Police and FBI lied about it afterwards. It confirms even they thought their reasons were suspect.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

So you'd be okay being picked up off of the street for the color you're wearing, being taken in and being questioned about your religious and political beliefs, about any tatoos you have, and whom you spend your time with?

What happened to libertarians being against big brother government? :rolleyes:

I guess it's cool with you so long as it's your side comitting all of the civil rights violations.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course it is- you haven't seen that pattern with him yet?

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The law states reasonable suspicion. It applies to all law enforcement. If you get picked up and you think that a judge or jury would agree with you that there's no reasonable suspicion, then you win. You know the religious and political beliefs bit is just silly. If you decide to make yourself look like Charles Manson though, don't be shocked if someone checks you out now and then.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course, because anyone who looks different must be a criminal and deserves to be harassed for no good reason. :rolleyes:

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

of course, the point here isn't that police can question those who are suspicious looking, that happens all the time. a few years ago in chicago, there was an ordinance against public gatherings, which police used to harass groups of black teenagers hanging out on a corner. there was an outcry and that stopped, but that misguided attempt was about stopping criminal behavior.

the interesting aspect of this, especially when combined with the recent revelations that new york city cops were going out undercover all across to US to spy on suspected-anarchists, is:
    if that doesn't give us the creeps, then i don't know what would.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They infiltrated groups they suspected were going to pull a stunt purely for political purposes during a convention. This is opposed to groups planning to commit a burglery or a murder.

If it makes you feel any better, phone calls and emails are all scoured for similar criminal plotting to some degree also. Forums like this too.

11. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Proof that your nation is fundamentaly broken.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You really don't have a very high threshold for proof then, do you?

Better to prove that your country doesn't.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hey, adroit, pick me a nation that's not fundamentally broken, insofar as spying on the citizenry. The "I luv cameras" crowd is hard at work, both in England and here. Tomorrow? Maple Leaf country, I imagine, if it's not already going on...

Do a search here for "Echelon". I think the name has been changed, to protect the guilty, but rest assured your keystrokes are being counted. If not here, in England or New Zealand.

Probably, but not necessarily, apochryphal: More members of the KKK and the Aryan Nation are FBI or BATFE than from the "just folks" citizenry. :D

'Rat

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, they interrogated innocent Americans to gather political intelligence using an instrument that's supposed to be apolitical.

That's a huge conflict of interest.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They didn't find out that they were innocent until they interrogated them, eh?

I hope you use that argument the next time you're stopped by the highway patrol. If you throw enough righteous indignation and expletives at them they might even use an apolitical instrument on you too. They love that stuff. :eek:

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um, investigation is fine. It's their job. Abusing their power is not. This is why oversight is so important. If they were doing their jobs according to Constitutional law, this wouldn't be an issue.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you're stopped by a trooper not for violating any law but because he's upset about your anti-war bumper stickers, he's violating his duty just the same as these cops.

What part of this do you not understand? Police are not allowed to break the law.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That it isn't happening to him.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

You can bet he'd be outraged it if were the Dems were doing this too.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wouldn't you be? I know I would. Thinking back to Elian or Waco. What's good for the goose...

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'd be outraged no matter who was doing this. I was just saying all of the righties that are saying this is no big deal would be outraged if it weren't their side doing it.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Or if cops were shaking down folks outside an NRA convention.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know. Sorry, I was reiterating your point. Agreeing, not arguing. ;)

You can pry my peace sign from my cold dead hands. :p