Police SUV Runs Over Woman on Beach

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Jun 13, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

OXNARD, California (AP) -- Two police officers patrolling a beach in an SUV on Monday ran over and killed a sunbather, authorities said.

The officers did not immediately realize they ran over the woman and continued driving, police Cmdr. Tom Chronister said in a statement.

The officers, who were not immediately identified, had stopped on a small berm of sand to watch a swimmer who they believed to be in distress. When they saw the swimmer was fine, they drove over the berm and apparently over the woman's head, authorities said.

A witness called the Oxnard Fire Department to report the woman was bleeding on the beach just south of the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort. The woman, Cindy Conolly, 49, of Sioux City, Iowa, was in town for her son's wedding, said Mike Feiler, senior deputy medical examiner in the Ventura County coroner's office.

An autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. The officers have been placed on paid leave pending an investigation.

Oxnard is located about 55 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles.

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Tragic :(

What the hell is wrong with the driver, his/she is driving on a public beach. That's lack of care, honestly that gets to me, of course we don't know the full story yet, so I won't jump to too much conclusions :eek:

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Police vehicles drive on the beaches here, especially California, all the time.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I meant that their should of been more caution in driving, duty of care is higher on a beach then just driving on a road. They should of been cautious, how can you miss someone on the beach, especially when you are aware that it is used.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I agree, I think they got overexcited heading for a drowning swimmer, though.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Someone not paying attention behind the wheel, Officer driving should be fired and the city should be sued big time. Pure stupidity.

7. Lau Guest

I'm thinking that they really weren't paying attention, as they didn't even notice after they ran over her. I could concieve of her being behind a dip of sand and them not noticing until it was too late, but you really should be noticing what's going under your wheels, right?

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

I've never understood why it's necessary for police to patrol beaches in a full size road vehicle to begin with. It always seemed to be a serious safety hazard to drive a large vehicle around the beach where people like to lay in the sand. A recipe for disaster, as we can now see. If it's really necesary to patrol the beach in a motorized vehicle, use much smaller all-terrain vehicles. Makes more sense, IMO.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Maybe it's easier to transport other injured people? Like someone who was drowning, or someone who's been injured some other way... the less you move an injured person, the better. So instead of having that person get into a small vehicle, then move him/her into a larger street-faring vehicle, then an ambulance, you could cut it down to just that larger vehicle?

I'm not sure, just my guess.

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's a tragedy :(

They shouldn't have been driving where they couldn't see in front of them - its the drivers fault for not being more careful. If they had run along the beach instead of in the dunes it wouldn't have happened.

Bleh such a stupid waste....

D

11. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

That also happend here in South Beach about 1-2 years ago. About 2 blocks from where I live. Poor girl from England, or Russia maybe was laying on the beach, and an SUV ran over her. It is sad because the beach is soooo overly populated, especially in this area, that you would think they would actually be more careful. Now only 4-wheelers are allowed on the beach, no more SUV's. Last I heard the family was looking into suing the city of Miami Beach PD. Anyhow, sad, sad case.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I live by the only beach area in CA open to off-highway vehicles. Every year there are at least a couple of deaths associated with people being run over with ATVs. IOW, it makes little difference, as a pedestrian or sunbather, whether you get hit with an 800lb ATV or a 5000lb SUV. Drivers need to be careful no matter what they are behind the wheel of.

13. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I'm sure the cops will get a measely slap on the wrist for it.

Pure ignorance on every level, from the fools who were driving to the fools who will excuse them for it.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Hmm. Interesting. I would have thought an ATV would be safer because of the smaller size and greater visibility. But I guess accidents happen either way. I wonder if there are any stats available that list vehicle-related deaths on public beaches.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a "line of duty" sort of situation, so you are probably right, but I'm sure the City of Oxnard will pay dearly for it.

This happened just a few miles from where I live, so I'm sure I'll be hearing more about it in our local media.

16. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Sunbather killed by Beach Patrol

This is so sad. Living in a beach community I've never heard of this happening. Link

17. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Yea, I never like all those beach trucks driving all over the sand like that. Always kinda freaked me out, thats why I always tried to stay somewhere where there wasn't any tracks in the sand...

18. pcortez macrumors member

i'm from oxnard. very strange, and even sadder, story. the cops here are dicks. they KNEW they killed someone, probably kept driving, made up some story and WILL get away with it cuz they all have each other's backs. especially, when they all steal from toy's-for-tots. so for x-mas, give presents to families you know in need, not toys-for-tots

19. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

This annoys me when 'officials' make serious mistakes, and in this case killed someone, they always seem to get 'paid leave'.

If i was driving along on a winding road and not paying attention and hit a hiker on the edge of the road there is a good chance I would be charged with involuntary manslaughter as I should have been aware that hikers would be out-and-about and that with more care my hyperthetical example wouldn't have happened.

I think the same should apply here as well - the officers should have been aware and payed more attention to the area they were driving on - it was a public beach after all.

20. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

This, unfortunately is how "the world works." SBT.

21. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    sigh.. people these days.. We are always in a rush and we're not careful anymore.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The police in this case were responding to a possible swimmer in distress, and in any event, beach patrols are limited to very slow speeds. If I question anything about the procedures in this tragic incident, it would be to ask why the police need to patrol beaches in huge vehicles with such poor visibility.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've been on that beach several times and the berm is unusual. It really divides the beach into upper and lower sections, so visibility is good if you drive parallel to the water but not as you go over the berm toward the water. This is apparently what the officers did.

It was the day after the victim's son's wedding. Since she had no ID with her, it took several hours for them to identify her. She had hotel towels so they told the hotel clerk to tell anyone looking for a missing woman to call the police. A reporter was actually first to match the accident story with the victim's name.

Several people had been nearby at the time of the accident and tried to help her but there was nothing they could do, given the major injuries to her head and chest. There are flowers at that spot on the beach now.

Luckily, this kind of tragedy is extremely rare. It hasn't ever happened at this beach before, and it's been many years since something similar happened at another Southern California beach.

The rules for use of vehicles on the beach (particularly maximum speed) vary from one municipality to another along the coast. But if officers need to patrol in vehicles at all, I don't see why they can't use golf carts or other lighter weight vehicles.