Police: Teen faked BMW theft to buy Bentley

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Apr 21, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I wonder how the parents are going to discipline the kid, take away his gold-plated RAZR? His diamond-encrusted Rolex? His 57" plasma screen TV? :)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/21/crime.bentley.reut/index.html

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Disgusting... what a spoiled brat. I hope he does time in jail for this. (I especially hate it when kids/teenagers talk about "their" car, "their" plasma TV, etc. If your mommy or daddy bought it for you and taxes are involved, it ain't "yours".)

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

How does that work, anyway? I thought if you had a car worth $47,000 and it was stolen, the insurance company would buy you another one or give you... $47,000?

What's this $160,000 stuff?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

figure he collects the insurance money, and sells the BMW at a good price, then he has double the amount he would have had if he just sold the BMW....

stupid spoiled brats...i hate 'em

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope he goes to jail..... I mean a "real" adult prison.... none of that Mickey Mouse jail bull****. I absolutely hate spoiled brats like that. His BMW M-series wasn't good enough? What a moron. I hope he marries a gold-digger who leaves him and takes a big chunk of his money, and I hope he loses everything.

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

pfft he won't go to jail. The kids parents bought him a BMW, do you really think ppl with that kind of money go to jail? Is it fair? Hell know, but it's the world we live in. :rolleyes:

7. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I'd take a BMW M-series over a Bently any day. What a prick kid.

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Well can you blame the kid? I mean comon, what 17 year old kid wants to be seen driving BMW?

</sarcasm>

What an idiotic brat, non-appreciating, little spoiled brat punk. :mad: I hope they take away all "his" possessions so he has nothing left.

9. arribadia macrumors member

I bet his folks will probably go "Well done boy!"

It is a mad world these days...

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The mom should also go to jail for giving her son a $47K car to drive. Now that is the real crime... :D

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've gotta admit that the kid's got some entrepreneurial skills to think up that plan. Couple that with his obviously large family capital and he could go quite far...

12. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I'm quite proud to say my Powerbook is miiiine allllll miiine (my first truly independent purchase)...

I have a £5k car, which is a bit on the expensive for people my age up and down the UK... I think there should be an age limit for big cars - Most young people in the UK drive hatchbacks - I think it's safer! BMW's, Bentleys... these are performance machines! (Well, the BMW anyway ;) )

Hob

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I drive an 11K car :p since i was 17. now 18.

I think it's funny what this guy did. Except it drives insurance prices higher for other ppl which sucks. He shouldn't have to do time but he should have to forfeit his 47k BMW

14. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I heard that he tried to setup a fake accident... but a theft sounds a little smarter!

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

First the car is not even in his name. So there is no real punishment there for him. Secondly at 17, given the family background (read well off) he should know right from wrong. For that he should do sometime in jail. But because of his families money he will probably end up with a slap on the wrist.

Other sweet justice will be for him to have to go to community college and a state school. No big name college for him.

16. craigdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

This made me laugh out loud for some reason.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering that it's not the quality of the education that can make an Ivy League school worth it, it's the people you meet while in the school that can make your career.

Networking with the rich and the powerful vs. networking with waiters and burger flippers.

So yes, that would be a rather severe punishment.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, this is a smart kid, he just didn't pick the right chop-shop to sell it to. Of course, having driven a 20-year-old car in HS, I don't sympathize. When my partner and I were briefly separated, I dated a guy that just graduated, he and all his friends drove brand-new cars through HS, I couldn't believe it. Some schools it's just expected.

Kid's got a career in politics, perhaps.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Not if he gets caught....

"this is going on your permanent record"

You also have to wonder if he's going to be going to college....

Quite a sad story, though. I don't really know what's worse - the fact that he tried to get away with all this or the fact that his parents gave him the M3 as his car....:rolleyes:

You have to believe that he wasn't driving the speed limit.

D

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A very sad story all around. Have to wonder if he if had real parenting. The teen may have been acting out to get the attention of his parents. It would be real interesting to know the family dynamics involved. The teen has apparently been spoiled with things.

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

What a brat. Someone needs to spank this kid.

If it were my kid and he did that, part of his punishment would be giving him a ten-year-old ford Taurus stationwagon (or some similarly decrepit vehicle) and make him drive it for a few months. Just might make him fully appreciate nicer things a bit more.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean a federal-pound-me-in-the-ass kind of prison? :p

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

How about a bus pass?

24. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Dude I drive a ten year old Taurus. :(

At least its not a station wagon.

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Incidentally, my first car ever was a '93 Taurus, caribbean green, and without a doubt the car with the absolute least amount of personality on the planet. But I was grateful for it because my parents didn't have to get me a car at all and I knew there were people out there with a lot less than me.

This kid obviously is just plain greedy, and has never had to work for anything in his life. Maybe it would do him some good if he learned how the other half lives for a while.