policy clarification needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jan 22, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I was at the Apple Store in Tampa this afternoon. Picked up iWork '05. I get an academic discount because of my teaching position. I even brought proof of my position, having gone through this before. However, the Apple clerk, not sure if they have fancy names or not, said that they didn't give the discounts on software, only hardware. I mentioned that I would get it on line at the Apple Store, and that I even checked before I left home so I would know the price. She brought it up on screen and said that I'd be getting an "educational version" of iWork--whatever that may be. Now I've purchased software before on line at the Apple Store with my discount and I've never noticed any difference. I have iLife '05 coming and I know there wasn't anything different with iLife '04 (that I could tell anyway).

Does anyone know what's the truth of the matter here??? Were they snowing me?? I didn't make any big deal of it at the store, but it does seem strange that it is "all" Apple. Not like it is an Apple reseller or something??

Thanks.

Frank

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I've gotten the same runaround at the Tampa Apple Store (edu discount for being a student). I've never gotten a clear answer on it and usually just pay the extra money for the sake of convenience (it's a good excuse to get a Bailey's shake at Haggen Das, too :)), but I too would like to know what the policy is.

I guess the question is if anyone has purchased iWork with a edu discount online and if it in any way is labeled as an special version of the product (or if the EULA mentions anything about it being different). If not, I don't see any reason why the discount wouldn't apply in the brick-and-mortar store.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't know specifically about iWork, but all other Edu software I have seen has different packaging that states Academic or Educational, and may have different EULAs inside. Part of the Edu discount can include limitations on whether you can resell the softwre -- you are getting different terms of use in exchange for the discount.

Some manufacturers also use different serial or authentication key series for Edu software to prevent them from bring upgraded through the retail upgrade process.

So if the B&M Apple Store does not stock Edu labelled boxes, they probably cannot sell them to you. Hardware is doable, because it is a simple discount, not a different package.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>may have different EULAs inside. <,

Pardon my stupidity, but what is an EULA???

Frank

5. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

When I buy Tiger with an Edu. discount will it be different than a normal copy? :confused: I hope not.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It wont be different than the normal copy...

7. tubedogg macrumors regular

End-User License Agreement, aka that long thing they make you read through and agree to before you can use most software. In boxed software it sometimes is included in hard copy form; other times, and with downloadable software, it's called a shrinkwrap or "clickwrap" license because the only copy you get is the one displayed on your screen.

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

It's probably simplest to just buy it through the online store. Edu. discounted Apple software is identical to non-edu. discount software, as far as I can tell. I've gotten iLife 04 and OS X 10.3 with the discount, and the packaging is no different from that of the retail versions, just the price.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thats strange, I got the .Mac retail box for the EDU pricing at the Tysons Apple Store. Maybe a new policy?

10. alywa macrumors 6502

iWork EDU discount

I too went to buy iWork at a brick and mortar Apple Store today. I wasn't able to get the academic discount either (though I qualify). I was told it was online only. This was at the Towson Store (near Baltimore, MD).

I bought it anyway, as I did brave a snow storm to get it. Oh well. I'll order online in the future.

-alywa

11. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Thats strange, I got the .Mac retail box for the EDU pricing at the Tysons Apple Store. Maybe a new policy?<,

How long ago did you buy?? How much different was the price???

Frank

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A few months ago. The price was $69.