Polishing 12" Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tigertribe, Nov 4, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

The aluminum on my Powerbook is a bit scratched and dull. What do you recommend for polishing the aluminum?

Thanks very much!

Nick

2. macrumors newbie

Regardless of the fact that you're in the MacBook/MBP forum, I'll try to help:

The aluminum on PowerBooks (like on the MBPs) is anodized, thus making "polishing" (especially when concerned with more than cleaning crap off it) exceptionally difficult if not impossible.

If it's scratched and dull, you're likely not going to get much results with anything less than replacing the affected parts, but perhaps someone has a better solution.

3. macrumors Core

It's the same forum!!

" MacBook & MacBook Pro (60 Viewing)
    apple laptops, including older models (iBook, PowerBook)"

4. macrumors newbie

Well pinch my pickle pizza, so it is.

Looks like I'm the nub in this encounter.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you...

This forum is for "apple laptops, including older models (iBook, PowerBook)", think I'm in the right one...

Anyway, thanks for your reply. It's not that bad, I can live with it. It's just such a beautiful little laptop that I wanted it to be perfect.

Best regards-

Nick

6. macrumors Core

If you've got some extra cash you can get the casing laser etched. I, personally, wouldn't but some people have.

7. macrumors 68020

YS2003

I don't recommend polishing the aluminum enclosure. To polish off the imperfection on the surface means grinding out the surrounding areas of that imperfection. If you polish out the scratches off our PB, you are scrapping off the perfect areas of PB's casing to make it even with the scratched part.
    The better way would be the preventative measure so that you don't introduce further scratches by getting the micro-fiber sleeves from Radtech or Marware.