political correctness in chat programs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by suzerain, Dec 16, 2003.

1. suzerain macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2000
    Beijing, China
    I just have to rant about something.

One of my favorite emoticons has always been > : (. Most of the time I use it tongue in cheek, and am not even angry...it's a fun emoticon!

You see this? :mad: Why can't ****ing chat programs have this in it?

Political correctness has so consumed our idiotic culture that our chat programs don't even have faces to represent anger! This includes iChat, AIM, Yahoo! Messenger...all of them I have seen.

This thoroughly disgusts me, and I am MAD! :mad: Unfortunately, I can't express how I feel in iChat! :D

OK, so I'm not that mad, but does this annoy anyone else besides me? :rolleyes:
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Is this the wrong forum? ;p

Nothing wrong with wanting to be as politically correct as Andrew Dice Clay...

Just don't get caught with the evidence in your hand like Pee Wee Herman did.

- Edit

And try some creative writing courses, they can probably help you learn to express yourself via the written word.
  3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Is this the wrong forum? ;p

Or Denis Leary. I still love to listen to the ***hole song. :)
    I drive really slow in the ultrafast lane while people behind me are going insane I'm an ***hole!!!!!!!!!! ***hole!!!! ***hole!!!!!

:D :D :D
  4. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    Close enough!

Attached Files:

5. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    the world has gone mad

time and time again this sort of rubbish is guided by people with nothing but a twisted ideal to guide them, the cost is usually passed down to the consumer or tax payer who doesn't get payed by tax payers money. people with unjustifiable job descriptions. in the uk a collective of these people are usually called a quango.:mad:

to follow Sun Baked, you might be able to get a grant from your local authority for the anger management course. the people with real jobs will love you.
  6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I think it's a little too soon to go attacking the PC police for the lack of an emoticon in a chat program.

There are lots of other, simpler explanations for why it's not there:
    - program uses different character combo
    - developers have a finite limit of features to add
    - not enough people use it/request it to add it

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    - programmer is really laid back California bikini babe who never gets angry;)
  8. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)

there was me thinking there would perks in being a recognised minority. oh well.