Political Forum Closed / Relaunched

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Mar 11, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

After reviewing further posts, it appears the political discussion forum has gotten out of hand. Simply too many personal insults being exchanged.

That forum is closed for now.

Update: forum relaunched with specific rules

2. Steradian macrumors 6502

Thank you arn it was getting a little out of hand, it was painful to read what some people were posting...O well maybe people will mature over time... I really hope that Medea will see this and come back to MR.

3. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I like politics, but it has really become too much to handle. OK, guys, let's keep it cool so we can discuss politics again.

4. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

While this is not my site, arn would it have not been better to warn the people that were doing it. Yea, I have thrown a few around, but man, there were some great conversations in there.

Oh, well, B2TM goes off to find another forumn at macrumors to live in.

:)

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Religion and politics can take a lot of moderator time to keep under control -- and it can chew up a lot of bandwidth better used elsewhere.

They're just topics sitting around waiting for an explosion -- though it is interesting when you visit a site and see it's in low-bandwidth mode, because the political topics got insanely out of hand and chewed through weeks of bandwidth in a couple days. :eek:

Of course that site solved their politics/religion problem by getting rid of their community/general discussion forums. :(

6. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'm still deciding where to go from here. Obviously, political discussions will eventually return to community if this is how it stands.

But yes, I feel any debate forum is not a good utilization of resources here... both in terms of bandwidth/cpu as well as human moderation that is obviously required.

arn

7. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I was going to do that... but as I read through posts... I realized the whole political discussion forum is flawed... so decided to shut down for now.

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, there were a lot of very good discussions between Jef, me, mcrain, and many others. Maybe you could have a moderator of the political discussions only? someone to keep the attacks in line you know. I got way out of hand a few times in the last couple of days, but the one line spam attacks on me, and others were getting out of hand.

I am just sad because I finally did something with my degrees :)

9. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

In fact your exchanges with some users were part of the problem. :)

arn

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I figured that. I just cannot stand it when people start flaming for no reason. It is really hard not to answer back with a flame.

I am sorry if I was part of the problem. As you can see in the 9/11 memorial thread I have put out an olive branch.

11. vniow macrumors G4

It was fun while it lasted, a good experiment I guess, I don't know of any other computer related board that had a seperate policics only section......

Some good disussions in there but if it got out of hand then it needed to stop.

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Dunno if this is a particularly good idea; the political discussion will either move back to community discussion, or all political posts will be closed, taking up time, and HD space when people go complain. Either way, its a lot of hassle for questionable gain. That's not to say that the flaming was right in any way, or that nothing needed to be done about it, but I think that closing the forum was not the best way to handle this.

On another board I frequent, there is a forum which has minimal moderation, and is essentially a cross between Wasteland, Political Discussions, and Community Discussion. If we were to have a similar amount of moderation, it would actually be higher than what we have now, but not that bad. The institution of a few new mods would serve the purpose, as would a warnings/bans utility (do they have that for vBulliten? I know they do for UBB). It might increase bandwidth temporarily, but once people got the message that they could be warned and banned for spamming and flaming, it would likely calm down greatly, especially given how civil the rest of the board is; the other board, people are flaming, trolling, and spamming constantly. Here, we aren't. Believe me, the flame wars here are NOTHING compared to elsewhere, not just, say, the Troll Kingdom (I won't give a URL, but if you do figure it out, do yourself a favor and don't go there, and no, that's not the 'other board'). And there's also very little in the way of trolling here. I've seen other political discussion forums, and even the worst flame wars here barely meet the standards there. Lighten up, arn. This was possibly the most civil political discussions board on the web.

13. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

As I stated above... I'm deciding where to go with this. Bandwidth/cpu utilization is not a major issue.

The biggest issues involved are time and behavior.

Suggestions are welcome...

arn

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I like the idea of the forum itself. I think having a moderator dedicated to that forum due to the amount of traffic would be justified. Have very, very, very clear rules as to what will be allowed, and what will get you banned.

There were some very good conversations in there, and very good expressions of ideas. I have to say that I have changed the way that I think about some things because of those threads. There were a few people that would insight riots basically.

That was the problem.

15. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The problem is that B2TM, you claim that there are those who would incite problems... but don't see yourself as an instigator. The others don't see themselves either.

For example, this thread - I feel that you initiated the discourse between you and Beatle888. Your response to a reasonable request not to bash france, was for him to "shut up". It degenerated after that.

That doesn't excuse his followup... however, it's not as cut and dry as everyone implies. Besides... who will be moderator. Is it ok if I make Beatle888 moderator? Or Ovi?

arn

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I agree sometimes I do. I was not saying for him to actually "shut up", more like a man that is bogus would have been better. It was the point of saying the this is mass murder that I had a problem with. I have served this country, and know the lengths that we go to to protect life. So it was a personal insult to me you know.

As for moderators, it would have to be someone that would not actually be involved in the discussions. Someone that would just keep the attacks down with an open mind.

I would do it. I would give up posting in the political threads so that they could exist for everyone else. So, by that criteria, if Beatle, or Ovi would do the same, then I say sure, let em do it.

Just knowing that they would do it fairly, that would be the key. The key would be to keep personal attacks to a minimum, but also to keep posts that are flamebait to a minimum as well.

17. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

18. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Fine, I'll mod it, if you want, preferably with help, since I can't be on all the time (if I could, I'd probably be a 68000 by now). I haven't resorted to personal insults in that forum, though I'll admit to calling arguments BS when they are IMO. Put me, and someone else, either with a clean flaming/trolling record, time to do it, and desire to do it, on it. We'll even help come up with a set of rules if you want, arn.

EDIT: ok nevermind then maybe

19. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

:)

20. pantagruel macrumors regular

I think you are/have handled this as well as you can arn, thanks for the hard work and hopefully this will aleviate the problems of the past.

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thank you aren. Thank you. I now have meaning in life again :)

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

get a person from switzerland to moderate it.... you know... they're neutral and all.

23. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Note: If there is a particular thread you were fond of that you would liked to be moved over to the open Political Discussion, simply private message me with the thread.

Please read the thread to make sure the discussion is appropriate.

I simply didn't want to have to filter them all myself, which is why the new forum exists.

arn

24. vniow macrumors G4

Hell I'll do it if you really need a mod, I stay out of those things but I do read through them a lot so I'm more neutral than others I guess.

Ahhh.........

25. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Any chance of a personal insult forum?

No...?

I'll get me coat...;)