Political Movies...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Sep 29, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have watched a few decent Political movies as of late, and thought I would open a thread to various recommendations. The last four I have seen (and recommend) are:

THE HUNTING OF THE PRESIDENT - About the campaign against the Clinton Presidency. Based on Best-selling book. Pretty interesting.

THE REAGANS - The made-for-TV movie that got shelved. I thought it was pretty good and the actor who portrayed Reagan was spot-on. I came away from the movie both respecting and pitying Reagan. As I didn't live in the US during his actual Presidency, I cannot say if it is accurate. At three hours, it probably tries.

MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON - Ok, I love Capra and Stewart and in a moment of political despair, I rented it to boost my mood. Made me feel better...I recommend for that reason alone...

THREE KINGS - Not an overtly political movie. Set the first Gulf War, I thought it was pretty insightful then, now it seems ironic...still good, despite George Cloony and Marky Mark...

So other recommendations? Comments?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i will not go to an overtly skewed political movie so i avoided fahrenheit 911 and the passion of christ...but i do have some curiosity so i will rent them for free when my free rental ticket comes up...every ten movies rented

i can't see giving my money to a movie from the far left or the far right since my just left of center stance as a moderate makes me dislike extremists views that tend to hate important things like facts

i do hope michael moore's movie helps gain kerry votes, but i also know that not every word that comes out of micheal moore's mouth is the gospel truth...when i mention that to some ultra liberals, they get upset and think i am a hardcore bush supporter...i want bush out of the white house but i don't think one has to believe bush is an all out tin horn dictator to vote against him

...but bush does have some dictator qualities ;)

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

That's Welles right? I seem to remember it vaguely...something to do with Kafka too...I couldn't seem to find it googling, "trial" is such a popular word these days...

speaking of Welles, have you seen "F is for Fake" zim? One of my favorites (though not political)

Anyway, thanks for the reminder, I shall hunt it down... BTW, I will be watching "outfoxed" a little later...

*EDIT* oh, btw zim, sorry to hear about your G5...although I wish I was able to afford to even order one to arrive damaged...

5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

If you include "Three Kings", how about "The Beast of War". An interesting look at how Hollywood portrayed Muslim Afghanis when it was the Russians who were the target.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes and yes. the movie was based on kafka's book.

i haven't, actually. my "movies i've seen" list is woefully lacking.

thanks. include all the pork grease i dumped down the front of my "about to go to a benefit" clothes and it was pretty much a perfect day.

i think i'll go see if my car's on fire. >:-|

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Go rent F911 after the election, but take it with a grain of salt. This is an "editorial" after all, and makes a powerful case, but his previous work like "Bowling For Columbine" was better. And "Roger And Me" was even better than that.

I'd say "Wag The Dog". I just watched it awhile ago and it's more relevant than ever. Sad really.