Political Priorities...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Sep 28, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

From NYT
    Second:

I was tempted to post this in the thread I created (Joe Republican), but thought it deserved it's own thread.

I believe some people may have gotten the wrong idea of why I posted that piece. Some of it was for humor but it was not, as Stelliform noted, to make Liberals feel good about themselves, if anything it should do the opposite. Considering the accomplishments noted in the satire, those of us who are Liberals should be pretty dissapointed in our Party and their accomplishments as of late. But I digress.

The real reason I posted it, was to remind people, voters, citizens, that one Party has never had a monopoly on what was "correct" for the Nation, and our large population has been more-or-less evenly divided between Liberals and Conservatives (simplistically speaking). So much has been accomplished by compromise and teamwork, by decent individuals from both Parties.

In this age of Rhetoric, the demonization of either Party ignores that which has been accomplished by those individuals, and distorts the Debate. It also ignores that which has NOT been accomplished.

So what does this have to do with the Articles I have posted? Well, the First article explains that the FBI, many years after 9/11 still has not evolved into a competent Intelligence Service, which should be an upmost priority for the Administration in the WOT. For much less than the cost of the War in Iraq, we could have overhauled, upgraded and bolstered the effacy of the FBI with a little effort. It was not done.

Now, the second article explains the amazing sophistication of the Bush Campaign Machine.

My comment is does this not bely the true priorities of the Bush Administration, and perhaps Politicians in General? That so little effort was put into something as important as a much needed revamp of the Intelligence Community, but so much into the Campaign apparatus.

I would hope that this would irk some people, as it has me. Lest you think I am solely bashing Bush here, that is not true. I feel he holds much responsibility for this, as President, but the Democrats, by their inaction/actions have not done us any service either.

Do you not think it is time for us, considering the stakes, to put away childish Partisan rhetoric, and realize that neither party holds the key to the US's salvation alone, and both have made contributions to our relative success? There are decent Politicians out there on both sides, who do not deserve to be tarred-and-feathered by simplistic labels.

Anyway, I think it is pretty pathetic that Politicians would put their personal career before the doing of what needs to be done. I think it is even more pathetic, that we let them.

LINKS
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/28/politics/28fbi.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/28/politics/campaign/28crowd.html

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, if it wasn't clear in the 2000 campaign, it should be clear now. bush has (had) only two goals in mind while president:
    1. take out saddam
    2. get re-elected

note that they're both things his dad didn't do.

i firmly believe these are his priorities. and this is what scares me about bush getting a second term. with his goals accomplished, and not having to worry about ever being a candidate again, on what will bush focus?

doing what's good for the american people? i've seen little evidence he's done that so far. family friends and contributors get treated well, but his policies are not for the general populace, imo.

no, i think a second term would be about pet projects:
    1. that pesky roe v. wade
    2. billions and billions that still have make their way to halliburton, carlyle group, bechtel, etc.
    3. the starving of social programs, mostly mediciad, medicare, SS
    4. playing w/ his commander-in-chief toys (i.e. nukes)
    5. the only thing more important to big biz than "location, location, location" -- "deregulate, deregulate, deregulate"
    6. "that pesky press keeps hounding me on the economy; time for another war"
    7. waving the "anti-activist judges" flag while getting conservative judicial pieces in place to secure the judicial branch for the christian right causes for the next 50 years

3. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

1. that pesky roe v. wade

Possible.

2. billions and billions that still have make their way to halliburton, carlyle group, bechtel, etc.

Probable.

3. the starving of social programs, mostly mediciad, medicare, SS

Hah, I wish! I think he's going to put us another 7 trillion into debt paying those off.

4. playing w/ his commander-in-chief toys (i.e. nukes)

If you'd read the Rumsfeld Doctrine, you'd know that wasn't true.

5. the only thing more important to big biz than "location, location, location" -- "deregulate, deregulate, deregulate"

Again, you almost had me liking the guy there... but no he's not touching that, the trial lawyers would get mighty pissed.

6. "that pesky press keeps hounding me on the economy; time for another war"

I doubt that, unless the Realist (the poli sci definition, please don't come up with your own) strategies go wrong... which they could

Rumsfled is VERY against the draft and we're far too over-extended to do much else but bomb the holy-lord out of some unlucky country.

7. waving the "anti-activist judges" flag while getting conservative judicial pieces in place to secure the judicial branch for the christian right causes for the next 50 years

The Democrats stopped them from doing that... don't you remember the filibuster?

You know, apart from the whole non-secular thing, and neo-con foreign policy, this guy really is what Americans would call a "liberal."

Here's what I think will happen:

1. Bush will expand social programs like he's been doing. Democrats will want a boat load more, Republicans will want a truck load more, and they'll compromise with a super-freighter more.

2. Iraq's going to stabilize, but it's going to be fundamentalist and possibly in 3 different pieces.

3. Bush and his drug company cronies will lose and prescription drugs will be price-fixed, which will lead to everyone dying when the next anti-biotic never comes out (OK, maybe the dying part will take a decade but it'll happen). Plus the PRC and other foreign companies (in countries with no price fixing) will become the world leader in drug manufacture.

4. At least 2 more corporate scandals

5. Probably another attack like 9/11, but not as big

6. which brings us to #6: Patriot Act II, which will pass with overwhelming bipartisan support

7. Medicare will push for insolvency and the Democrats will successfully blame republicans who will lose the house, senate, and in 2008, the presidency.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I hate to directly contradict you, but no way! All he's been talking about (aside from his three different explanations of why we're in Iraq) are Health Savings Accounts, more Medicare HMOs for seniors, and private retirement accounts. Those all point the way to privatization of Medicare and Social Security, with banks and investment and insurance companies being the benefactors.

Boy, I hope you're wrong about that, because if even one of those is fundamentalist, you've got a brand-new breeding ground for al-Qaeda...in which case, Bush will ironically have accomplished exactly the opposite of what he intended.

God forbid! The original Patriot Act is creepy enough without giving our intelligence agencies the power to simply "disappear" people.

We can only hope.

My own prediction is that, if Bush wins the presidency a second time, you ain't seen nothin' yet. The turmoil of the last four years will look like a pie-fight compared to what's coming. I think there's a good chance the anti-globalists, environmentalists, Naderites, Howard Dean followers and liberals in general will unite to try to find a way to force Bush from office.

You may think that sounds far-fetched, but if they could impeach Clinton over lying about cheating on his wife, you'd think we could get Bush impeached over lying about the war.