Political satire in the form of apple adds?

Discussion in 'Community' started by uhlawboi80, Mar 9, 2004.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

I've recently found several iPod add "spoofs" that are operating as political satire. I find it an odd vehicle to deliver any sort of political message or social statement, though i find them interesting and some of them are funny. Anyone else come across any iPod adds like there or any other apple adds in the past been satirized in this manner? Any thoughts on why people have chosen to do this with apple's adds?

note: ive only attached two as they are the only two i'd saved and had quick access to. :p * also, the second add is of a famous vietnam picture.

Attached Files:

2. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

4. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

What's the point of the second one? Am I just missing something? :confused:

5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i don't like either of them at all... i think it loses the message...

7. Judo macrumors regular

HMmm where did you find them?

Because where I saw the images from you have kind of taken them out of context.

I saw them on Somethingawfuls photoshop friday. A site that is more about getting a laugh than making a serious political statement.

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Both are only marginally funny, in my opinion, and then only if you happen to have that special sense of humor. What's the point of super-imposing a popular consumer ad campaign over images that depict violence and suffering?

Now if the "iGod" ad were Jesus/God in the standard robes-and-halo patriarch gig, it would be funny: "see, even God has one." The Vietnam one is just a bizarre and random combination (though there are those who think that's funny, too).

meh. Humor's a very idiosyncratic thing.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

very 'black' humor but i have no problem with it
    wasn't the picture of the real "execution photograph" awarded with the purlitzer-price (if it is correctly spelled that way) ?

it is pretty funny see how you don't recognize a picture taken out of context and your brain is going through his memory for "where did i see that before?" and when you remember it's like "oh my god"

10. Judo macrumors regular

Maybe they aren't from somethingawful. Just had a quick look and couldn't find them on there. Really thought I had seen them there.

Where did you find them uhlaw?

11. uhlawboi80 thread starter macrumors 6502

The iGod pic im pretty sure i came across at boingboing, and the other one was some sight a friend of mine whos been stuck working in thailand sent me...it was not an english site and i cant seem to find it but i emailed him to see if he remembered. Oh, and im not sure what it was but there was some sort of message with the vietnam parody which I seem to remember being something about SE asia's tech involvement.

KC9AIC: they arent using satire to portray, the images them self (im guessing was the intent) are satirical...but since you think it is the wrong way to convey these messages...im just wondering what you think the message(s) are???