Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Lately it has started bugging me that every second poster(exaggeration) has a political statement in their sig.
I feel like I am in kindergarden with all those "I like this guy", "I don't like this guy" sigs.
Can't we keep those to the political forums where those who want to know the political views of the members can and those who do not won't be bothered?
All it does for me now, is annoy me and think bad of all the people who feel like they have to post something like that in their sig.
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I think we don't need the political forum to spread especially not in that childish, polemic way those people are doing it right now.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
It wouldn't be much of a forum if we couldn't express how we feel. If you get annoyed by a few lines on a website, I suggest not looking into public forums on the Internet. Furthermore, what annoys you is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet, and I think it deserves a little understanding, if not apathetic acceptance.

Lee Tom

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
LeeTom said:
It wouldn't be much of a forum if we couldn't express how we feel. If you get annoyed by a few lines on a website, I suggest not looking into public forums on the Internet. Furthermore, what annoys you is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet, and I think it deserves a little understanding, if not apathetic acceptance.

Lee Tom

First of all, why is there a seperation into a political forum then?
Secondly it is MacRumors... where's the political statement in that?
Also it is not the election that annoys me, it is, as I stated, the sigs themselves and their polemic nature that annoy me. And even though the election will have an impact on world politics, I wouldn't dare do go as far and say that it "is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet".
America is not all that important as some Americans might think sometimes.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
I vote for Steve Jobs

Attachments

• steveweb.jpg
    steveweb.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,077

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
What constitutes an acceptable signature then?

It seems to me that the signature is a personal expression of most any kind. There for a while there were some quite large and obnoxious ones, but I haven't noticed those in a quite a while now. Other than that, what makes a political expression that much different than promoting folding, a web site, or some other opinion. I hardly ever notice them anyway. Although I have definite political views, I don't really find them that obtrusive... but that's just my 2 cents worth!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I too think they're quite silly. I come here to get Apple/Mac news and to discuss issues related to that. Honestly, I couldn't care less who anybody on the boards supports for President. To get around most of it, I've just gone into my user settings and disabled member's signatures from showing up. Not only does it eliminate most of the political statements, but it makes the threads easier to read too without all the additional clutter. Of course, there are still a few instances where people post off-topic and throw an political opinion into a discussion where it doesn't belong, but I just skip over those posts once I see where they're headed. And as was mentioned before, hopefully most of them will disappear here after the next couple of weeks anyway.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I find it kind of laughable -- LOOK WHO I'M VOTING
FOR EVERYBODY! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

-just like those moronic cardboard signs people put
on their lawns to show their support for 1 of 2 people
who have never met them...

-just keep in mind they only reason they do it is for
attention from others and for the future recognition
when and if their 'choice' is elected that the backed
the right guy...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I think that's exactly what sigs are for -- expressing who you are. Sure, you may disagree with someone, but it's not like they're your roommate or something. Personally I could do without some of the more childish sigs (and avatars), but I can certainly learn to live with them.

I guess my sig could be one of the ones you're talking about, since I put my latest blog topic in my sig. If it bugs you, pm me and let me know about it. Or heck, just post it in this thread. I'm open to change -- plus, it's not like I get thousands of hits from MR anyway....

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Diatribe said:
And even though the election will have an impact on world politics, I wouldn't dare do go as far and say that it "is going to have a huge impact on the future of this planet".
America is not all that important as some Americans might think sometimes.
And I suppose you'd say that the war in Iraq didn't "have a huge impact" on the world? Do you think it would have happened under a President Gore? Whether you agree with the war or not, you have to admit it's had a pretty big impact, and that it will continue to influence the Mideast conflicts for years to come.

America often does make the mistake of assuming it's the most important country in the world. But, for better or for worse, America does have a sizable impact on politics and economics. And since the health of the American democracy depends on a caring and informed public, I'd rather see people getting involved than not....even when the sigs annoy me (as they often do when I disagree with them :) ).

Or, as the quote says, I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
paulypants said:
-just keep in mind they only reason they do it is for
attention from others and for the future recognition
when and if their 'choice' is elected that the backed
the right guy...

or, you know, it might just be (this is only a suggestion, so bear with me), that people with political yard signs actually feel strongly about the issues our nation faces and feel like any impact they can make is still an impact.

it is possible that people can feel the need to exercise free speech for reasons other than hearing their own voice, you know...
but i suppose you wouldn't understand that.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yard signs are one thing, and it's your property, and it's great. But this forum isn't your property, it's private... you wouldn't go putting up political signs in your friends' houses, would you? It seems like the distinction of having a political forum is all that needs to be said- keep politics in there. But I should say, the one-line, small ones don't bother me, they're kind of like bumper stickers. It's the colorful, big "vote for ___!" sigs that annoy me (and a few others, it sounds). Perhaps everyone could behave like adults and tone it down, rather than making yet another issue for the mods?

paul

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
As Lancetx said, just disable signatures in your forum preferences, like I've done. I find all the political signatures annoying as well (tantamount to political bumper stickers).

Although what's far more obnoxious to me is people taking digs at Bush/Kerry/America in topics where it's totally unwarranted.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
MacDawg said:
What constitutes an acceptable signature then?

It seems to me that the signature is a personal expression of most any kind. There for a while there were some quite large and obnoxious ones, but I haven't noticed those in a quite a while now. Other than that, what makes a political expression that much different than promoting folding, a web site, or some other opinion. I hardly ever notice them anyway. Although I have definite political views, I don't really find them that obtrusive... but that's just my 2 cents worth!

I agree.

My sig is political........is it bothering you?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Jovian9 said:
I agree.

Yes it does, now that you ask.
attachment.php

All those annoying CAPs... Almost as bad as 20+ point red text.
attachment.php

:p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You can report signatures that violate the rules, which are that they not violate any forum rules dealing with content and that they not be inflammatory or too distracting. We generally define "distracting" as having too-large type or too many lines of text. If a signature is taller than, say, half a dozen lines of regular-size text, it will tend to dwarf a typical post and is therefore too tall under the "distracting" rule. There is no rule against political messages or links to your hobby or business web site, as long as the signature meets the other rules.

The moderators often have to make judgment calls, but those are our guidelines. If you find all signatures with color text or comments about the election distracting, we won't be able to help you and you should turn off signature display.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
wordmunger said:
Personally I could do without some of the more childish sigs (and avatars), but I can certainly learn to live with them.

[offtopic] Hey! Childish 'tars are cool! [/offtopic]

I do think that political signatures are annoying, for both candidates. [offtopic] That's why some of my friends at school removed political signs from people's yards, and made it on the front page of the newspaper[/offtopic]. We'll just have to deal with them until November, though. They have a right to be there, if one so pleases. Im sure people find my xbox signature annoying, but oh well. Everyone has pet peeves.

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Diatribe said:
Lately it has started bugging me that every second poster(exaggeration) has a political statement in their sig.
I feel like I am in kindergarden with all those "I like this guy", "I don't like this guy" sigs.
Can't we keep those to the political forums where those who want to know the political views of the members can and those who do not won't be bothered?
All it does for me now, is annoy me and think bad of all the people who feel like they have to post something like that in their sig.
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I think we don't need the political forum to spread especially not in that childish, polemic way those people are doing it right now.

I feel like I am in kindergarten with all these "I like this guy's sig", "I don't like this guy's sig", posts.
Shouldn't there be a Sig Appreciation Forum where those who want to know about Sig views of the members can and those who do not won't be bothered?
All it does for me now, is annoy me and think bad of all the people who feel like they have to post something like that in the Site Comments Forum.
Maybe I am alone on this one, but I think we don't need the Sig posts to spread especially not in that childish, polemic way those people are doing it right now.

Wow, this could just keep going round, and round, and round. Free speech can annoy you, but allowing you to say how annoyed you are is priceless. Be glad we can all practice it!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
wordmunger said:
I think that's exactly what sigs are for -- expressing who you are. Sure, you may disagree with someone, but it's not like they're your roommate or something. Personally I could do without some of the more childish sigs (and avatars), but I can certainly learn to live with them.

I guess my sig could be one of the ones you're talking about, since I put my latest blog topic in my sig. If it bugs you, pm me and let me know about it. Or heck, just post it in this thread. I'm open to change -- plus, it's not like I get thousands of hits from MR anyway....

No it does not bother me, nor do most sigs. Most of them I find quite interesting or funny. You just post your latest topic, oh well. BTW, I kinda like your site ;)

rueyeet said:
And I suppose you'd say that the war in Iraq didn't "have a huge impact" on the world? Do you think it would have happened under a President Gore? Whether you agree with the war or not, you have to admit it's had a pretty big impact, and that it will continue to influence the Mideast conflicts for years to come.

America often does make the mistake of assuming it's the most important country in the world. But, for better or for worse, America does have a sizable impact on politics and economics. And since the health of the American democracy depends on a caring and informed public, I'd rather see people getting involved than not....even when the sigs annoy me (as they often do when I disagree with them :) ).

Or, as the quote says, I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You are absolutely right, it had and still has a huge impact on the world but I was referring to the exact phrasing of that sentence which implied that the future of the entire planet depended on the US. I am not arguing the importance of a strong American democracy but the last time I checked America didn't have one.

jtgotsjets said:
or, you know, it might just be (this is only a suggestion, so bear with me), that people with political yard signs actually feel strongly about the issues our nation faces and feel like any impact they can make is still an impact.

it is possible that people can feel the need to exercise free speech for reasons other than hearing their own voice, you know...
but i suppose you wouldn't understand that.

You could have saved that cynical remark for your US History class. If you could discuss that in a neutral way I might even have to say a thing or two about your comment.

paulwhannel said:
Yard signs are one thing, and it's your property, and it's great. But this forum isn't your property, it's private... you wouldn't go putting up political signs in your friends' houses, would you? It seems like the distinction of having a political forum is all that needs to be said- keep politics in there. But I should say, the one-line, small ones don't bother me, they're kind of like bumper stickers. It's the colorful, big "vote for ___!" sigs that annoy me (and a few others, it sounds). Perhaps everyone could behave like adults and tone it down, rather than making yet another issue for the mods?

paul

This was exactly my point. Toning it down would be nice and sufficient.

Jovian9 said:
I agree.

Oh so much :p I am not against those 2 word sigs, what I am against are those colored, huge, different font using sigs.

Doctor Q said:
You can report signatures that violate the rules, which are that they not violate any forum rules dealing with content and that they not be inflammatory or too distracting. We generally define "distracting" as having too-large type or too many lines of text. If a signature is taller than, say, half a dozen lines of regular-size text, it will tend to dwarf a typical post and is therefore too tall under the "distracting" rule. There is no rule against political messages or links to your hobby or business web site, as long as the signature meets the other rules.

The moderators often have to make judgment calls, but those are our guidelines. If you find all signatures with color text or comments about the election distracting, we won't be able to help you and you should turn off signature display.

As I said, I don't mind most of the sigs I just find the political statemnents in conjunction with the use of color, huge size and a different font annoying.
Since I don't feel like reporting all the sigs that annoy me I guess I have to live with them or turn them off.

Capt Underpants said:
Everyone has pet peeves.

I guess so.

blackfox said:
Do I offend?

Diatribe, your name is very appropriate.

Why would you offend and for what is my name appropriate?

Edot said:
Wow, this could just keep going round, and round, and round. Free speech can annoy you, but allowing you to say how annoyed you are is priceless. Be glad we can all practice it!

Again, free speech does not annoy me but where is there free speech? Where in America is there free speech? Where in here is there free speech when I want to swear? There is no free speech because people don't want to put up with certain things.
Do I think censoring is good? Hell no! I for one would rather have it that each one could express themselves freely (in a behaved manner of course, which does not imply a 20 word post containing 19 swear words :D ) than the way it is right now.
I would also like to hear non censored songs on the radio, etc. But since there is a distinction between behaved and annoying with swear words, there is also one with political sigs.
There is nothing wrong with an unobstrusive 3 word comment on the election.As Paul said above... toning it down would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.