Politicization Of 9/11 In Bush's New Ads?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vwcruisn, Mar 4, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i like what maureen dowd wrote about it today:
    link

2. numediaman macrumors 6502a

9/11 was politicized long ago. Bush wraps himself in the flag, in the Bible, anything he can to insulate himself from his own actions.

From my prospective, I don't mind him trying to use this -- it's politics.

But think about this: 9/11 happened on his watch, and the person most responsible for it, Osama Bin Ladin, is still at large. What is Bush so proud of?

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Ted Rall had some strong words about that:

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I hope the families of 9/11 victims give him hell. If they continue to turn up the heat on the use of these images we shall see just what Rove's 5 million ad buy bought him.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

So far they are. And I think he just lost the votes of ever how many american's family members were lost during 9/11.

6. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Bush is the American president...9/11 was a historical American event...so what :rolleyes:

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

So one of the ads shows bodies being brought out of the rubble. The use of such images in political ads in order to stir up the passions of the electorate is a new low.

8. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

it was the most important event of his precidency yet he isnt allowed to talk about come on get over it thats like saying if after WWII there was an ad run showing a battle it shouldnt have been run because americans died its historical get over it its free speech

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He didn't cause it, he didn't prevent it, he didn't fix it. Hell, he was MIA for most of the day.

It's not "his" moment to use.

Would FDR have used footage of Pearl Harbor in an ad campaign? I don't think so; politicians had enough taste not to politicize disaster and kept more of a separation between war and politics in those days.

Today, it's an issue that tugs at nationalism and sends the message that "if you're not going to vote for me, you're one of them.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I know this is the line that Bush and his flacks are taking in the news, but it really is a distortion of the criticism. Nobody calls on Bush not to talk about 9/11! In fact, many people want him to talk much more about 9/11 and the days running up to it as part of the investigation of the Commission looking into the facts of the tragedy. Bush has committed one hour to answering the Commission questions, by the way, but the real point is that no one wants to stop Bush from speaking on a very important topic for the election - only to stop using the images of ground zero for partisan political purposes. When the remains of a victim in a flag draped coffin are shown being carried out by firefighters to try and drape Bush in a mantle of their courage, then it has crossed the bounds of any decency. Is his message covered by the First Amendment? Of course! That doesn't mean he shouldn't catch hell for his action.

11. bonehead macrumors regular

I don't think anyone is in favor of denying history. Some people believe 9/11 is a national tragedy that transcends politics and that no individual or political party should claim ownership.

Also, in January of 2003, Bush said, regarding the war on terror, "I have no ambition whatsoever to use this as a political issue." So, again you have a case of saying one thing and doing another.