politics v.4

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 10, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the democrat hatman is on the rant again

bush led the way in accusing corporate greed with enron and worldcomm, but what is this now with his own inproprieties?

he's not in office even two years and so far, he has shamed himself more than anything bill clinton could have done in eight years

i hope for w's sake, he did not involve himself in insider trading...i have liked his job as president so far

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, I thought the recent "heat" he's gotten from the press has been overdue.

He's been let off the hook with the whole "War on Terror" thing.

If somethings comes up, or if they find those reports/files that were "lost" it will be a nice comeuppance for all those morally holier-than-thou Reps who trashed Clinton.:p

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    dubya and cheney

they're both in a world of trouble.

cheney's being sued for cooking the books at haliburton and dubya's got a lot of explaining to do over his harken stock activity( among other financial transactions).

the gop(gluttons of privilege) spent 70 million to investigate whitewater...i sure hope they're ready to pony up to get to the root of this( yea, right...)

btw, i do believe hillary clinton had her hand in the cookie jar-and poor rex hubble's gonna just rot away. thats cold-blooded even by political standards.

sadly, i don't think anything will come of the dubya and cheney investigation...most of the politicians are too busy lining their own pockets.

the politicians will all stand up and make grand speeches about protecting the common people(those not in politics) but when the cameras are turned off-its back to screwing the public.:mad:

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Re: politics v.4

excuse me but that is bull****. the only person with equal shame as clinton in office was nixon. bush may have his own inproprieties and so may cheney, but neither of them committed perjury. PERJURY, can you believe that?? most people dont care, because they dont realize that it is one of the most important ideas in the justice system. so don't go telling us that bush has shamed himself more than criminal clinton.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

What the hell do you expect when you elect an ex-alcoholic crackhead failure millionaire son of a millionaire oil tycoon to the presidency? It's a wonder the country hasn't collapsed in flames yet. W is doing better than I expected he would, even if that isn't saying much.

6. wwworry macrumors regular

Re: Re: politics v.4

So let me get this straight. You would rather someone steal your money (which insider trading is) than someone lie to you about an affair they had. I could understand that if you were married to Clinton.

What about lies by omission? Wasn't Bush's failure to notify the SEC until 34 weeks after his trading a lie by omission?

Also, comparing a lie about an affair to plots to steal a national election (Nixon's) is a bit unfair. I suppose, though, that if you are glad that the man who got less votes won then election rigging is not that bad either.

We could go on. What's worse, lying about an affair or putting some innocent life at risk by drunk driving?

What's worse, going to Oxford to avoid Vietnam or signing up for the reserves and going AWOL for 1.5 years of the 2 year term?

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Everyone, this is real easy. The "scare" tactics that the dems are using. He was investigated by the SEC in the early 90's, and this was brought up when he ran for governor in Texas, but THERE IS NOTHING TO IT.

There was no wrong doing, and there is nothing to find, because there was nothing wrong with what was done. Plain and simple.

Man.

Medascare, Welscare, Wall Scare. Cacn they every come up with anything legit? :D

8. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

In this economic climate--with the markets weak (and I mean really weak), unemployment up, and consumer confidence down--these corporate scandals are going to start really upsetting the public.

People are losing faith in the markets because they don't think they can trust the companies they are investing in. CEOs and other officials are being caught red handed trying to lie about earnings, fudging accounting numbers and giving themselves bonuses as the employees and investors get screwed. This isn't a good situation.

And now we have George W. saying he's going to clean up the corrupt corporate culture. Excuse me if I don't believe him.

Nearly every action he has taken in his presidency has clearly favored corporate America. The tax cut is a perfect example. But also other things, like his energy policy. He and little ****y Cheney have also been in questionable positions in their own corporate dealings. These two are engrained in the business community of the United States and have shown nothing but a willingness to pander to their needs.

How can we trust these two to reform corporate America and restore consumer, investor and employee confidence? I, for one, cannot.

I hope the rest of America sees this horrible conflict of interest and votes appropriately in the next election.

Taft

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yes, Taft, I agree. I hope that Americans see the light. I hope that they realize how they are being disempowered. Stuck to a life of medocrity. How they should strive for nothing. Be happy with being middle class. Send their kids to run down schools and be happy about it. They should pay 50% of their income in taxes, and pay for sex change operations through tax dollars. They should give up their right to choose which car they drive and only drive fuel efficent vehicles. But, they must give a woman the right to choose to take her own childs life. They should defend the life of the murderer, and play 911 for the world. They should realize that they should keep pumping tax dollars in a corrupt and bankrupt social security structure. They should reward people that want to stay put in life. They should never, ever, say the word God in school, or at a public function for fear of offending someone. They should not pray in school, or in government proceedings. They should save the spotted owl, and put 10,000 people out of work. They should do all of these things.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Funny, that sounds just like the democrats when the republicans were going after clinton. It never stopped them from digging and digging and trying to destroy his image and waste taxpayer money.

Whitewater, hairgate, fbigate, etc... and all they came up with was him lying about getting head by an intern.

I say we keep digging, I'm sure something will come up.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Do you realize how inane that comment was?

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Do you realize how accurate it was?

mcrain. There is a big difference between commiting perjury and well, lets see, nothing. If you or I had committed perjury, we would still be locked up, and would continue to be for a long time.
    I don't care if he got a B**w job, just not in my office, and not on my time. I care that he commited obstruction of justice and got away with it. What kind of message is that for America's youth. If you are in a position of power, then you can lie under oath, commit obstruction of justice, and get off scott free.

13. wwworry macrumors regular

Yes, it's like he took just took a big crap because what he said is pure sh*t.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

You say that like all of those things are bad. Tsk tsk.

Let me respond. Why do we have run down schools? Why do we have to pay so much in taxes, or better yet, how much did we spend under reagan on military versus social programs? No one has ever say you can't buy whatever vehicle you want, but the government (specifically the dems) have attempted to work towards a reduction in bad emissions and oil usage (yes, there is a finite supply of oil). Abortion, whether you agree with it or not, should not be made illegal because it WILL happen, and if you make it illegal, you are killing women because you disagree with their moral decisions. Always defend the life of the "murderer" unless you are 100%, no, 1000% sure they are guilty. And, even then, what good does it do to kill someone after, yes AFTER, they have already committed the crime? Social security is totally messed up. The only solution is to turn it back into what it was intended to be, money for the very very small percentage of people who lived beyond a target age. Now, that age would be about 83 or so.

God in school. I've got to put this in a separate paragraph. Why do Christians think that it is some sort of attack on them when the government enforces the separation of church and state? It isn't an attack. If you want to go to church, go to church. If you want to pray, pray. If you want to pray in school, go to a private religious school. If you want other people to pray, you can always go on a missionary mission. Those are your rights. Feel free to have fun doing those things. The problem comes up when people in government positions, try to pray or make other people pray, or endorse any specific religion or religion in general, in state sponsored situations. That is clearly an intrusion of religion into government, or vice versa, and is improper under the constitution. Can someone explain why it offends people so much when they are told that the government can't endorse a religion and prayer can not be led by a teacher? Doesn't make any sense to me.

911 for the world? I figured you'd be all for that. It keeps the government pumping money into the military. If we didn't do that, why have such a big military?

What, you want to kill the last of the spotted owls? How bout the rain forest? How bout the whales? Sure, we can just live in a world where the only wildlife is what we keep alive to eat. Oh heck, let's just kill everything and eat engineered food. Oh, think of the fun, we can all go out and shoot everything that doesn't look human. Oh goody, break out the guns!

10000 people out of work? When businesses stop putting people out of work in order to make their bottom lines look better and the bonuses and salaries of the top management look better, then we'll talk.

:) --- btw, good to see you BTTM, and good to have a discussion on these boards that isn't merely a wild claim followed by flaming.

I get so annoyed when people express opinions or hopes about the mac products and then get immediately bashed for saying something. How many newbies have been flamed into leaving for mentioning a PDA or a superdrive in a laptop or for genuinely asking for reasons why to buy a mac (i.e. compare the mac to the PIV)? Silliness abounds if you ask me.

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

What the hell do abortion, social security, prayer in school etc. have to do with corporate political influence? Taft never said "Yay Democrats! Democrats 4 ever!" He brought up and questioned the corporate influence on the Bush-Cheney administration. Denouncing government corruption != "defending the life of the murderer." Why not strive for a bit more objectivity, rationality, and individuality in your arguments, rather than towing the Republican party line?

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

WRONG!

He didn't get off scott free. He was charged, he pled guilty, and he lost his law license. If I would have done the same thing, I wouldn't have gone to jail, I would have been charged, and would have entered into a plea with the state's attorney. I would have a conviction for purjury (just like Clinton), I would have paid a fine (sort of like Clinton, but a lot lot less money), and I would have not spent a day in prison (just like Clinton).

Oh, and I would have lost my law license.

17. wwworry macrumors regular

Or, if your Dad is the president and has appointed the regulators you can steal peoples money and get off scott free. The SEC choose not to prosecute. That does not mean what he did was legal.

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

mcrain.

Yes, you are right that it is nice to have an intelligent discussion. Obviously something that wwworry is not capable of. Now for you point. Sure that has always been the arguement of abortion. Make it illegal and it will still happen and young girls may die. Look, this is going to sound real real harsh. So what. If they do they do. Education could stop the abortions. Really explain to women what it does to their bodies. The dangers that it poses. The risks that it generates. Educate people.

Now, I am not a Bush martyr, you know that. I just think that given the other choices he was the best man for the job this time. I also am very supportive of both the school vouchers and the Kennedy education bill that he helped pass. He was very bipartisan in that aspect.

His energy policy sucks, he could be more aggressive in the war on terror. He does have stong corporate ties to corporate America. Better them though than the Chinese right ;)

We will never have a president that everyone likes, but the fact is that we have him. Lets stand by him and if you don't like him, get rid of him in 3 years. That is how it should work. That is what I did with Clinton.

The night he was elected I got so drunk I could not walk. But the next day, he was my President, and I supported him. I though that he should have resigned when it was clear that he had committed perjury. But impeached. No. He should have been a man and resigned. Period. Funny thing is that if he had. Gore would probably be the President right now. Oh, the irony.

19. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Jesus, can you talk out of your A$$ any more. Have you read the filings? Have you looked at it further than what the media has told you. Everyone in corporate America trades stock. And remember that Enron, and World comm also gave a **** load of money to the dems.

Get your friggin facts straight, don't believe everything that you hear, and do the research.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Medically, abortion happens all the time naturally without the assistance of physicians. When a physician assists, it is very safe. On top of that, RU486 is non-invasive, works, and also very safe. If your argument is that it isn't safe, it is less safe for the mother to have her try to kill the baby with illegal drugs or a coat hanger than to do it correctly.

Who cares? Oh come on, I know you do, you're just saying that.

21. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but why, when someone questions the motives of Party X, must the Party X defenders automatically jump up and accuse Party Y of being worse? It's ridiculous - it's like monkeys throwing poo at each other in a cage.

Republicans, stop seeing yourselves as a party of do-good saints who are the saving grace of the USA, and stop seeing Democrats as a party full of lying criminals.

Democrats, stop seeing yourselves as a party of do-good saints who are the saving grace of the USA, and stop seeing Republicans as a party full of lying criminals.

Political arguments would be so much more insightful and productive if each of their participants were less melodramatic and sensationalizing. Grow up.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I haven't read the filings, but if you have a link, I'd be happy to take a look and give you my legal opinion.

As for wworry, be nice. He's been in a bunch of threads where the common routine is for someone to say something, and then for everyone to attack. Give him a chance, he's making some decent arguments, he just hasn't realized that we disagree but we're civil in these politics threads.

23. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

From what I heard, no-one has seen the filings because Bushy boy hasn't ever released them. That is one gripe that many people have. No-one can see the filings so no-one really knows what went on.

Have YOU seen the filings?? Do YOU have all of the information?

Taft

24. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

How exactly was this a retort to my arguments? I made the point that there is a huge conflict of interest with Bush and Co. asking for reform when they are so engrained in the environment.

Can you actually respond to this with something other than babbling about why you don't like the democratic party????

I'll be waiting.

Taft

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Actually the results of the investigation were not public, but the information and situation was. The brief that was filed to the SEC was public just not their findings. It has been has been hashed over like three times in elections. It just won't go away.