Poll: Americans ready to fight global warming

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 2, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

oh my -- has at least a little bit of my faith in humanity been restored? will we see any leadership on this?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's too bad Osama Bin Laden wasn't trying to burn up the O-zone... :eek: ;) :D

This *is* heartening... I need to recommit myself as well... I've been doing things, I think, and I've tried for a long time, but I think we can all try harder. The problem with this is the standard pareto sort of rule... 80% of the effort put in by 20% of the people. If everyone made small efforts to curb consumption, it would have a dramatic overall effect.... :)

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is good, but don't expect anything to happen til Bush is out of office.

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What people say they'll do, and what they'll actually do are two different things.

That being said, I have no choice, but take mass transit :eek:

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It doesn't matter if global warming is real or not (which I believe it is, more than likely, real). If it isn't, we should still be taking steps to clean the air and preserve non renewable resources. Lots of good is done anyway with very little sacrifice or extra cost. If it is, and we don't do something about it, things could get very bad for the human race. And for those who don't care about making the planet better for their children or their children's children... well, you're just selfish bastards.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. iGav macrumors G3

I don't believe that... especially if we consider how many MR folk leave their machines on 24/7 in the ridiculous quest of uptime bragging rights. :rolleyes: :p

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... The GWoGW? You're either with the evil CFCs or against them? If you harbor a CFC you're just as guilty as the CFC? Those CFCs hate us because of our freedoms?

Bring 'em on! :p

9. iGary Guest

iGary

The Kyoto agreement was signed by former U.S. President Bill Clinton but never introduced to the Senate for ratification, FWIW. Why not?

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

this is good to hear, but I doubt that Americans will be willing to make sacrifices like stop driving their brand new H2's or actively support more strict emission standards for businesses as well as worse punishments for businesses caught breaking pollution rules. I just don't think Americans are willing to fight to save the environment unless they don't really have to do much. And we'll have to do more than that to turn things around.

e

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

This actually made me a little emotional. Let me hug some of you Americans. There is hope after all.

*group hug*

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

*hugs*

yay i am glad at least americans want to help the environment in any way

13. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

from wikipedia:

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i do think the tasks asked in the poll aren't terribly hard on the consumer. after all, i do all those but really don't even feel like i'm trying.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Problem here though is the American people dont run its govt, the Multinational MegaCorporations do. Hence our president still insisting there is no global warming,ignoring the Mexico invasion and wanting Arabs running our ports. Pay no attention to those Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Warming Oceans and Melting Polar caps. Its all just not proven:rolleyes: 3 years to go before the bum leaves.