POLL- Apple Gaming System-

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac.head.high, Jan 11, 2006.

1. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

If Apple were to release a dedicated home gaming system (console) for the mass market, would you buy it.

The Polling begins with me:

Yes!

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

4. satans_banjo macrumors regular

i wouldn't buy it just because it's an apple. i'd buy it if it was a good console

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes, same here but I'm assuming that it's good.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Game developers need to release PC & Mac versions of a game simultaneously before the Mac will be taken seriously by the bulk of the harder-core gamers & developers.

If that happens, a "gaming Mac" will be possible. But honestly the PowerMac is already a great high-end gaming Mac - the only thing missing is a better video card selection and more games.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Maybe. The problem I see is that if Apple pulls an XBox (make a system based off their current one), we'll end up with a console that plays Mac ports and multiplatform games, like the XBox mostly plays Windows ports and multiplatform games. If Apple used a wireless gyro-mouse for their controller, this would be great, but I can't stand most computer games when they are ported to use a joystick (like FPS, with joysticks, hate it).

If it was a good console (which I'm sure the hardware will be, knowing Apple) and had a good games lineup, I would buy one.

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'd rather see Apple buy or partner with Nintendo because the two company's philosophies are so similar ("innovate" instead of "copy", and "better" always trumps "faster" or "more"). Although I have to admit, I'm not exactly sure what these two companies could produce together. I still think it's a darned shame that Apple didn't buy Blizzard when it appears they probably had the chance for around $50 million. That was before World of Warcraft. Anyway, I just don't think there's room right now for an Apple game console, and I don't think they have the talent or connections in that area to pull it off (and make money on it).

9. mac.head.high thread starter macrumors regular

mac.head.high

For shame.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well sorry I don't think it's right for them! I'm as big an Apple fan as anyone but the game console business is cutthroat, and Apple already failed once there. What experience or assets do they have in games? Almost none. Microsoft poured $billions in over years just to get where they are now, which is still a precarious position. Sony and Nintendo don't feel safe either, no one does. And most of the game content companies are struggling to make a profit as well. Yes, there's a lot of money in the whole industry but Apple would have one whale of an uphill climb in that market.

11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

No. There are already 3 consoles out. That is 1 too many if you ask me. A fourth would not be welcome in my eyes. Besides, I already hold Nintendo on the highest pedestal for gaming.........so even though Apple holds that spot for me with computers and mp3 players, it would not be able to bring Nintnedo down.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, I don't think Apple could afford to purchase Nintendo. Partner would be great. Apple design the hardware and capabilities, Nintendo the games.

Talent? Yes, I think Apple has the talent. You're right about not having the connections though. And there is currently not enough room on the market.

13. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I want an Apple/Nintendo GamePod. An iPod Video that also plays Game Boy Advance games. :D

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

lol. i just tried to imagine playing final fantasy with a scroll wheel interface. or how about mario cart? :D

15. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

I will not but a game console just because of it's name brand. So I can't say.

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

How many Apple console threads are we gonna have? The Pippen was a flop, I doubt Apple will make the same mistake twice.

17. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

It completely depends. I think it's be a pretty moronic state of mind to want to buy it just because it's Apple. If it was worth the money I'd buy one - but that's a fairly meaningless statement as it applies to anything really.

I don't think it'll happen - it's hard to make it in the gaming industry and very expensive to even try. I don't think Apple will fritter away the hard-won cash and credibility that ventures such as the iPod and iMac have earned it. It has a low chance of success and a high chance of being an embarrasing and crippling fiscal disaster. Plus, Apple don't exactly have a stellar gaming pedigree.

Having said that though, neither did Sony when they entered the market with a little grey box called the playstation. They did have quite a bit of muscle though...

18. cubist macrumors 68020

And as we know, Apple does not go near anything they've done before and gotten out of. It's like they have scars from the Newton. So there will never be another Apple PDA (Newton), game console (Pippin), digital camera (QuickTake), printer or scanner. I expect them to exit the monitor business in a year or so. Down the road, they may even quit making keyboards and mice. It's a good idea to concentrate on what one does well.

HiRez's points are very solid as well. Game consoles are a low-, even negative-margin business. Game production, however, is big business, and Apple is working hard to keep their machines the premier platform for 3D and graphics work.

19. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

The problem with all those things was they were ahead of their time, People weren't ready for them. Apple just needs better timing.

20. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I too wouldn't buy an Apple gaming system just because its made from Apple.

I'd prefer Apple to put more effort into making a Gamer-friendly Mac, slightly souped up iMac;)

21. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

they had a chance to buy blizzard?

22. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Depends on the games.

23. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

nope, it's not a nintendo meaning no Mario or Zelda, meaning to me it's useless :)

24. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748