Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by bertinman
you are just going on vacation from it.

you'll be back up there don't worry

plus, you are still in the top 25% of the members.

Nah, with all of these new members I will be decreasing quite significantly.

The only thing my iMac might pass is users who haven't folded in atleast a month.

So yes, my iMac will PWN All users who stoped folding!!! ;)

W00t!

edit: we all know ranking doesn't matter, I just really wanted to show that I was helping the team, but I can't stay competitive.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
does it really matter what your ranking is though?

I thought the point was working as a team to increase in total points...together?

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by eyelikeart
does it really matter what your ranking is though?

I thought the point was working as a team to increase in total points...together?

competition is VERY good for the team, it makes everyone work harder.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
Yes, for Team MacRumors.

:D

I like to fold. It makes me happy to see the frame numbers climb and climb...

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
yes, for MacRumors - I started a few weeks ago and just finished my second work unit. Now if only I can figure out how to put folding on some relatively unused computers here at work and set it up to start automatically at startup. . .

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by phrancpharmD
yes, for MacRumors - I started a few weeks ago and just finished my second work unit. Now if only I can figure out how to put folding on some relatively unused computers here at work and set it up to start automatically at startup. . .

If its a mac look at the FAQ to find out about the scripts that will make your mac ALWAYS fold when started up. If its a PC just install the default client

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
Thanks for the tip. I'm currently folding on my iBook, but I have the "opportunity" to add some Windows computers at work into the mix. I suppose the graphic client is the way to go to keep it as unobtrusive as possible?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Okay here's a question. I just upgraded to Panther. Which I just have to say is friggin fantastic. Well I used the script to reinstall folding on my machine. With Panther I can't check my progress anymore by typing 'Work' into the terminal. What's the new commands or what has changed?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Vlade
look at the Folding at home log, it should be in a folder called F@H1 in your home folder

Yeah, I realize I can do that but for one it's not as convenient even if I put the alias in the dock. The second problem is I can't stop folding if I chose to as I could before. None of the commands work.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I'm all in...

I've thrown a few machines into the folding pot:

300 G3/192 (yeah, it's slow, but it works...)
dual 450 G4/640
667 tibook/512
800 tibook/512
1.6Ghz P4/640

most of them were sitting around all day anyway, so I figure I could use them for this without any harm done. Two of them were doing seti, but that seems a little less important to me.

All are working for team 3446 (macrumors).

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I wish I could keep folding, but I need the ability to watch the cycles on my processors to judge DSP plugins. When I can see how hard I'm stressing my procs I can more accurately judge how many more effects are available. Having both procs operate at 100% makes it impossible to tell until my comp chokes.

Dan

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by alset
I wish I could keep folding, but I need the ability to watch the cycles on my processors to judge DSP plugins. When I can see how hard I'm stressing my procs I can more accurately judge how many more effects are available. Having both procs operate at 100% makes it impossible to tell until my comp chokes.

Dan

Your job is the most important thing here. Do what you must. :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by alset

Dan

That's probably the best thing to do but.... You can use Apples Activity Monitor in 10.3 and all the programs that have been niced have a color of blue. All the active processes you are currently running are green and red is the system utilization.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: I'm all in...

Originally posted by Mudbug
I've thrown a few machines into the folding pot:

300 G3/192 (yeah, it's slow, but it works...)
dual 450 G4/640
667 tibook/512
800 tibook/512
1.6Ghz P4/640

most of them were sitting around all day anyway, so I figure I could use them for this without any harm done. Two of them were doing seti, but that seems a little less important to me.

All are working for team 3446 (macrumors).

I've got my Dual/1.42 both processors going. I also have a eMac I have hijacked and a 17" Powerbook. I'll probably hijack more over time. Also my wife has a 15" Powerbook on order which I'll also add to the folding crew. All in all though at the moment my Dual/1.42 is outputting about 6 times the units that the 17" and eMac are processing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.