Poll: DSL installation

Discussion in 'Community' started by atszyman, May 10, 2005.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I have become completely fed up with Comcast's cable mode service and have been switching over to SBC DSL and Direct TV which should end up saving us ~$20 per month for roughly the same service.

So the DSL modem came in the mail with the associated filters and setup software. So in the process of installation I had to make multiple calls to tech support and now a technician needs to come out today to check on the phone distribution in our neighborhood to figure out why they can't seem to talk to my modem and why I can't get out. (They don't think it's wiring in my house since I get good sync pulses). Talking to my co-workers it dawned on me that I have never heard of anyone who has gotten the welcome packet for DSL that has not had to make at least one call to tech support to get it installed.

So the question: Is there anyone out there who has recieved a welcome packet for DSL/Cable Modem and actually managed to get everything set up without calling tech support? If so who is your service provider?

Edit: added service provider question.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes.

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

No help for me but it took me a few hours to completely configure the software.

4. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

Ok, you guys are the first two that I have ever heard of. Who are your service providers?

Note: I have edited the original to also pose this question, to see if there are some providers who have managed to get it right.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm dealing with BellSouth DSL and I actually had it up and running before I read the instructions or used their software. Later, their service had been down for hours and when I talked to technical support, they suggested that I use their setup CD-ROM to configure the networking rather than what I did.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm using Internode and it was only a matter of plugging in the components in the directed order and putting in my password. As easy as pie (assuming it's a very easy pie of course). No problems here. :D

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I did the same when I was on BellSouth. I'm now on CableOne. It works fine but it's $50 a month (though there's the tiny perk of them not filtering the cable, so I might be watching cable for free. maybe, sort of, i would never admit it. I actually called their local customer service to ask them if they knew I could access cable tv without subscribing to it, and she said "so?" so I said ok and hung up)

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.

My aunt and uncle were in that position for a few years. They called a few times to try and get them to turn it off. Then they just said to hell with it and started watching.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I'd answer the question, but I feel like I'm biased since I work for the largest Service Provider in these parts, and helped Engineer that last couple infrastructure builds for our DSL access. ;) (Currently beginning our FTTH Project, exciting stuff!)

So, as an Engineer, I've never had any trouble setting up DSL for myself or my friends/family, but my company (SaskTel) has it down pretty good by now - we were the first Telco in North America to launch DSL services, and 2 years ago we launched the largest deployment of TV over DSL in North America. It's fun being on the Bleeding Edge of technology! :cool:

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Intrex.net, a tiny crap mom&pop ISP leasing lines from Verizon. Happens to be who my employer struck a deal with to provide "cheaper" broadband for employees (cheaper.. whatever).

It might help that I'm a computer geek by day & pay.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I setup DSL for my Grandpa, and my first call to tech support was because they sent him the wrong equipment (modem and nothing else). Once we got the installation kit, I was able to do everything on my own.

12. atakordie macrumors member

Yeah, BellSouth is good in my opinion. I set it up without hassle at my parents' house, but I did have to call them when I set it up at my apt. I am on the edge of their cutoff, and had to get them to put a noise profile on the line, but it works now and it rarely interrupts service :)

13. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Yes, 2 weeks AFTER they realized the circuit (or whatever it's called) wasn't connected at the phone company, and THAT was the real reason the DSL modem wasn't getting a signal. Not that I was using a Mac, or that the second set of line filters and modem they sent was also faulty. (Earthlink provided by Covad)

14. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

That can only help so far. I am an engineer by trade, and a pretty good computer geek. So are most of my co-workers. But there always seems to be something going on with SBC's infrastructure or setup procedure that keeps us from setting up DSL without tech support calls.

My current problem has to do with where they make the switch from fiber to copper in my neighborhood and really isn't my fault at all but it appears that for most of the people I've talked to with SBC, a tech support call is a necessary evil in the installation process.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also use Earthlink provided by Covad. My big headache was finding out if DSL was available at my house. Think that the problem occurred on Verizon's end. I'm not technically savvy so needed an IT person to walk me through the setup. It was with TSP, IP and all the configuration settings.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In Detroit, I had SBC Yahoo for three years, and essentially never needed to use tech support. No setup or operation issues.

In Jacksonville, my parents had BellSouth DSL briefly and had terrible uptime issues that they were not able to resolve after several home visits. They switched to cable service, which is a lot better, but still has occasional issues...something is screwy in their house, as I was staying with them when they first got DSL and can vouch that the issues are real.

In Gainesville, I didn't want a landline phone, so I have Cox cable service, which also has been pretty flawless.

But at least in regards to my Detroit experience, yes, it does happen with SBC DSL sometimes....

17. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Yes. Pretty simple to setup. No tech support call needed. I have Qwest.net.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i hae SBC Yahoo DSL, i set up the filters in about five mins, hooked up the modem, and was ready to go. simple as that, no issues at all

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've had SBC in two different places, the setup was flawless. I was online in about 5 minuts.

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Here in NZ I just plugged in my modem, entered the username and password, and voilà. No problems whatsoever. I've switched phone companies since then, and it still works.

Conversely, the guy down the street needed to get a technician in, and has had some major problems over the last 6 months, resulting in 2 more tech visits :eek:

21. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well I have to say I'm now somewhat impressed with SBC's tech support. After a few phone calls on Saturday they managed to get it working today without needing me to take off of work and let anyone into the house. They evidently only had to fix something outside since I got home plugged it in and voila, internet.

Seems much zippier than my Comcast cable modem despite a slower max speed. We shall see how the future holds up.

22. Frisco macrumors 68020

Verizon DSl:
    When I tried installing the software on my Mac it would just hang, so I had to call Tech Support. They had me bypass the software.

On my PC the installation was hassle free.

23. Blackstealth macrumors regular

Yes, and shockingly my provider is British Telecom!

24. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea i live in livonia, right outside the D and my SBC service is TERRIBLE, the connection is always slow, usually when dl it is about 5 kb/s which is ridiculous, then somedays its at about 40 kb/s. still too slow. anywhoe yea the setup took forever too. my dad was pizzzed :mad:

25. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Yep, I have and it was dead easy - provider was Cybercity. Unfortunately (for you, not me ) it's a just a little Danish company...

A