Poll: Eight in 10 say it's important for SUV drivers to switch

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 21, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

meanwhile, have a look at the vehicles heading away from Rita...

[​IMG]

2. iGary Guest

iGary

CNN ir reporting that gas may hit $5.00 a gallon if Rita delivers a strong blow to the reinfery areas in Texas.

That said, people should be able to drive whatever the heck they want.

It's not the SUV's that is the problem; it is that just about everyone in this country has a car...

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree that at $5 / gallon, the problem will take care of itself. i've been lobbying for such prices for a while now.

however, my plan would involve a series of small steps over years, not a 100% increase in a matter of months.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm curious how many people in 10 own an SUV.

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's a deeper problem. These vehicles are already manufactured. When people buy a more efficient new car, they support a manufacturing process that uses more energy than the vehicle will consume in a year.

Moreover, we've designed our entire nation around the automobile. You can't drop in light rail or bus systems in the suburbs because they won't work. Many older cities are well planned because they were laid out and built before the automobile.

They'll do well as the automobile is relegated to an increasingly insignificant role.

This poll reflects the desperation that the American people are feeling and shows that the full nature of the reality hasn't hit home yet: 60% want drilling in Alaska and 70% think solar and wind will generate all the electricity. That's not going to cut it.

The hydrogen lie was not addressed, but I'm sure just as many Americans (70-80%) think that as soon as fuel cells are being churned out, everything will be okie-dokie and they can keep on driving.

Mark my words: the car is dead.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

go on...

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And America is the car.

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

not exactly your answer, but here's some data from an august 2004 article:

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

assuming fuel becomes too costly a commodity, and people flock from the suburbs and exburbs back into the transit-enabled cities, what then?

will the highways become little more than transit routes for goods? will rail be back in fashion? will the airlines be all but bankrupt? will any farming be sustainable?

tell me more.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think our airline flying will become bedtime stories we tell our grandchildren as they stare up at us like astronauts. "Wow, grandpa, you were on a plane? You really flew?" Or at least they'll look at us like we flew on the Concorde. There is absolutely no alternative to fuel oil when it comes to flying, and if it doesn't go away nearly altogether, it'll at least get prohibitively expensive.

Food will get more expensive but better for you. Look for local farmer's markets to re-emerge. People will go hungry.

The South will decline again. Air conditioning will be too costly. Don't be caught owning property in Phoenix.

11. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

I agree with the Airplane going away.
    I think you are wrong about the South though. I think the North will decline instead. You can survive without air conditioning, but you can't without heat.
    When I was growing up air conditioning was unheard of in my house.

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i like this part. in the cities, i'd expect the re-emergence of mom & pop shops. chicago's lost a lot of 'em, but i'd expect it to become more like nyc in that regard.

within 1/2 mile of me i've got 5 bus lines and an el stop, so i'm not doing too badly wrt public trans.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wrong.

More people die from heat than freeze to death.

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Let the marketplace sort out SUV drivers, there isn't any need to legislate them.

Maybe a pollution tax, since that affects everyones well being. One of the problems with the market, as it exists, is that there is no penalty for pollution.

I followed a diesel powered Excursion through a drive through today, the young woman and her baby were the only people in the truck. She turned the engine off at every window.

I can't wait until people start making rational decisions again. This fad that has lead to combining mothers with enormous SUVs to carry around one or two kids is just silly.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Too bad the marketplace isn't free WRT oil, but heavily subsidized.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Which people exactly do you want to take cars away from?

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Single men, on the other hand, need their SUVs.

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I rarely see men hauling around one or two kids in an SUV. I usually see them hauling around just themselves in a full size ("man sized" from a different thread) truck and imagine that those are the others halves of the women I mentioned.

I didn't mean to exclude men from the discussion, but I most often see them in man sized trucks that are rarely used to their full capacity.

That should makes things more correct. I keed.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Global warming anyone?

I agree that the southern regions will become unbearable. The north has a lot of forests, wood stoves although they pollute are a viable alternative to electricity. There is no alternative whatsoever to air conditioning.

Living in California's Central Valley, summers can get awfully warm but are dry and bearable, winters are extremely mild. I could probably do without heat for all but 2 months of the year.

Public transportation sucks here, but it's a small city and I can get from one end to the other via bicycle in 45 minutes.

Since the Central Valley is the nation's produce basket and home to some incredible micro breweries, I'm set!

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If there is significant global warming, hurricane activity in the gulf will increase (and in the Atlantic). Rebuilding every summer in the coastal regions of the South will no longer make any sense, and will not be done. The Midwest will experience a massive boom as everything goes (back) there.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Just wanted to back this up with my source, which I read on the Wall Street Journal's front page from August 18.

link

22. iGary Guest

iGary

I hope you're not an elected official, no offense. :eek:

Where does this money you're *cough* stealing *cough* from me going to go? ;)

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Nuclear power and public transport.

Solves everything but peoples selfishness.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Not cost efficient. Not sustainable. Not safe. Not even close.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk