Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you returned your 2016 Pro? -Leave a comment explaining why, or why not.

• Yes - 13" nTB

Votes: 20 4.2%
  • Yes - 13" TB

Votes: 40 8.4%
  • Yes - 15"

Votes: 73 15.3%
  • No - 13" nTB

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • No - 13" TB

Votes: 81 16.9%
  • No - 15"

Votes: 218 45.6%

• Total voters

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Some posters here are unhappy with their new Macs.
So I thought it would be fun to try and register how many have actually gone through with it.
-and register what model and why, just for funsies.

I would like this to be a purely objective headcount, so attend the poll and leave a quick comment as to why you've returned your Mac
-and if you've returned more than one 2016 Pro

This is not the thread to either attack those who are displeased with or those who love Apple's latest and greatest.
So please leave your salty attitude at the door, keep your trolling jabs and flame baiting to yourself.

Poor manners will be reported :p

PS. This is a new poll, made from feedback on an earlier poll.

Reactions: deany

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I haven't returned mine because I haven't had any issues and think it's a really nice laptop. Yes, it's expensive for what you get, but when hasn't an Apple product fit that description? I like the Mac ecosystem, so I pay a bit extra for it.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Nice job with the new poll. Since my MBP is doing its job well it is not going back :)

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Friend of mine had a rather 'interesting' experience.

1st nTB MacBook Pro returned for TB model.
1st TB MacBook Pro scratched out of box, exchanged.
2nd TB MacBook Pro returned after a few days due to bad battery life compared to nTB and glitches, back to nTB.
2nd nTB MacBook Pro had a rattling fan, exchanged.
3rd nTB MacBook Pro seems to be fine.

I'm glad my model was flawless.
nTB MacBook Pro is doing great.

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
Returned mine.

Didn't have an issue with the machine apart from some graphical glitches. Battery life was 9-10 hours with light use, perfect screen uniformity and keyboard was great.

However, in the end I couldn't justify paying so much for it. I instead purchased a 2015" model for £1000 cheaper.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
2016 nTB 16GB Ram 512 SSD.

Absolutely love the build and design.. but at the end of the day I don't think Apple should get away with the denial of their horrible battery life. I get about 5 hours max. 2 to 3 hours when I'm working on stuff or watching video. It's being returned this week.

wmk

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
late-2016 15-inch, 2.7/3.6GHz, Radeon Pro 455, 512GB SSD, delivered December 5th; works as advertised.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I can only cast one vote so I cast I kept my 13" TB, I am happy with this laptop. I did return a nTB model because I could not justify of not getting what I really wanted, and my wants won:)

Last edited:

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I am returning my high spec 15 inch. I don't want to. I really don't. But at nearly 5k CAD for this machine, I can't justify it. It has lower battery life than the 2013 15 inch I came from.

Build quality is good. MacOS is good. Yes there are a few glitches, but I'm okay with them.

So what happened? A guy at work lent me his 2015 Surface Book for a 2 weeks period. I actually really like it, and Win 10 has been solid for me. It's about 1000 dollars less expensive, runs really well, and the pen is pretty cool. Works well when asking people to sign a PDF for example. And battery life is far better.

I'm heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. 2 iPads, the watch, 2 iPhone 7's, Apple TV, but this is the first time in 7 years I feel ripped off by Apple. I don't mind paying the Apple tax when it's still fair value for what you get. Unfortunately, I feel this round goes to Microsoft, and Apple has now left the door open for people to consider switching.

candyapple+

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2016
Houston, TX
I have returned my 13" Macbook pro w/ TB after one week I got it. I liked the laptop, but Touch ID failed to register my finger prints from the get-go. I tapped my fingers so many times but Touch ID never registered my finger prints.... Eventually, I called Apple Care and the tech guy instructed me to do all steps to make Touch ID work but nothing fixed the issue. He told me to bring the laptop to Apple store and ask for repair.... I did not like the idea to have my bland-spanking new mac repaired so I returned. I have looked into MacRumors to see if someone was having the same issue, but I did not find any of those. I guess I got a lemon....
I have re-order the same and hope this one will not have any issues...

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Yes. Originally expected to have three (personal machine, work machine, and a machine for my spouse). All are either returned or traded away. Spouse is using a 2015, work machine is a 2015, personal machine is a Dell. I couldn't use them because of the keyboard, but I have many other complaints. Spouse was basically okay with his, except that it got the "suddenly won't charge or run off AC power" behavior, and we didn't want to have another month and a half of waiting for a replacement, so we moved to the 2015 and got a machine he's happier with. (He could stand the keyboard, but he disliked the keyboard, the touchpad, the touch bar, and the lack of function keys.)

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
I returned mine back to Apple, but then a couple weeks later I purchased it again from B&H :) No issues at all so far.

Kn!ghthawk

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Coming from the 2009 17" monster that I still have this thing is a dream come true. Yes it has it's warts and flaws but nothing is perfect. I have the 15" 2.9/1TB/460. Battery life is lacking but still strides ahead of what I've been working with and everything else on this is amazing. I've used it multiple for field jobs...including processing photos from a stadium group shot in the middle of the field for them. Things would have been time consuming and very hard on the old machine. Still doable but very time consuming and would have left me rummaging around for an extension cord and an outlet.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

50calty

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
Does canceling your order before you getting count as returning? Cause thats what I did and went with the 2015 model.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Does canceling your order before you getting count as returning? Cause thats what I did and went with the 2015 model.
I would prefer if only people who owned the machine and developed some sort of relationship with it answered the poll.
But it's not like I can stop you :p

Reactions: Weaselboy

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Performance for Premiere Pro/AE isn't night-and-day between my Late 2013 15" 2.3/16GB/512GB/750M and my Late 2016 2.9/16GB/1TB/Pro460, but the build quality, new keyboard, color, weight savings, trackpad, touch bar, more colorful and contrasty display, and the great gaming performance in Boot Camp are causing me to keep it. I finally can play Battlefield 1 and Overwatch on the go, not just home at my desk. There is a considerable performance boost for my work tasks but not $3600 worth - all of these other things swayed me. The previous design feels clunky now that I've had this for a month.

Reactions: wmk

jft94

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
Base model 15". I have not returned mine and definitely do not plan on it. I have had absolutely no issues with the machine. No graphic card issues. The battery life on mine has been good. It runs perfectly. I really like the Touch Bar. I was able to get USB-C cables for all my stuff.

However, I went from a mid-2012 13" MBP to this new one so I am probably just easily impressed. Regardless, no issues here.

I really felt bad for those that were experiencing issues with theirs right out of the box but extremely grateful I was not one of them because I was nervous I would.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
1st: Exchanged a 13" nTB for a 13" TB after 7 days of usage.
2nd: Exchanged 13" TB for 15" TB after 10 days usage.

And now I'm seriously contemplating exchanging my 15" MBP for another 13" TB MBP or even a Dell XPS 13.

With all my previous macs I was never this indecisive and previously never exchanged/returned one. But this time around I just can't figure out the ideal MBP. I much prefer the smaller footprint of the 13" while traveling but have also found the extra screen real estate useful on the 15", especially when working on large Excel documents.

However, I'm also realizing that I pretty much never utilize the discrete graphics on the 15". I'm also discovering that I'm almost always within 5-6.5GB RAM usage, making the 16GB in the 15" way overkill for me. So now I'm having buyers remorse, thinking that I shelled out an extra ~$700 over the 13" version for no reason, other than to have some extra screen space.

To make matters worse, while my wife was dress shopping today for an upcoming wedding, I spent about an hour in the Microsoft store testing out a Dell XPS 13 and getting the rundown from one of the sales reps. I haven't owned a Windows machine in about 12 years but I was actually very impressed with Windows 10 and felt that the XPS 13 was a fantastic machine. The worst part was that it was blatant just how much more snappy the XPS 13 was compared to all 3 of the 2016 MBP's I've now owned. It was quite disconcerting to discover this after having just dropped over $2,400 on the current 15" MBP. As much as I hate to admit it, today was an eye opener to me of just how far Windows has come. Add in the fact that for $1,400 I can get the Dell XPS 13 with the same specs as the mid-tear 13" MBP and I truly feel that my money is better spent on something other than an Apple machine for the first time in many years.

Needless to say, I'm all over the place. :(

Reactions: g75d3

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
2016 nTB 16GB Ram 512 SSD.

Absolutely love the build and design.. but at the end of the day I don't think Apple should get away with the denial of their horrible battery life. I get about 5 hours max. 2 to 3 hours when I'm working on stuff or watching video. It's being returned this week.

Exactly my situation. I also am fed up with the keyboard and lack of ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.