poll: how long dose your mac take to boot?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mord, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

mine takes 38 seconds

450MHz cube (7200rpm HD 704 mb ram radeon 9000 10.3.3)

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, I hardly ever boot my computer up from zero, but just for kicks I tried it right now.

Ti400, 1:51

Like I said, I generally use sleep. I only boot for system updates and bootup time polls.

3. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've booted my mac 4 times in the last 4 months, i'm not a good person to ask, but i do know it is fast.

5. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

i clocked 20 seconds flat with my single 1.8 G5

and i never do boot up either...

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Because of recommendation, I leave my G4 on 24/7. It gives Panther a chance to do its own repair work. So mine comes on instantaneously.

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I don't know because you need to turn off your computer to boot it up, and I NEVER do that. ;)

8. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

neither do i but i just installed a wicked fast 7200rpm HD in my cube so had to reboot for the first time in a while and it booted super fast so i did it again measuring (later I realised that i had updated to 1.3.3 so that slowed it down a bit it's now at 20 secs :).

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Even with my 1.25 Ghz Aluminum PowerBook I hardly ever restart. I shut it down on the occasional update that requires a restart so that I can clean it off.

It takes about 1:15 from cold to logged in a ready to go.

My family has an old 733 Mhz Quicksilver, and after upgrading to a 7200 RPM hard drive they go cold to log-in screen in 23 seconds!

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

How strange! I have a 1.25 GHz iMac G4, also running 10.3.3, with a Nvidia GeForce 5200 graphics card and 512 MB of RAM (I don't know the speed of the HD) - it also takes 38 seconds to boot, yet my machine has LESS RAM and a processor that's a little bit over 2.75 times as fast as yours. I guess that means boot times don't increase linearly with processor speed and decrease with additional RAM.

11. damson34 macrumors 6502

12. vanmonkey macrumors newbie

Exactly what is this repair work you speak of?

13. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

14. haiggy macrumors 65816

What do you consider a start up. To the login screen or after you're logged in and able to work? My 933 iBook seems to take about 45 seconds... I dunno why, but its not like I restart my computer anyways.

15. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

on my ibook, it takes a lil over 1 minute..i m not gonna check how much..as i dont wanna spoil my uptime...i never shut it down..

16. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

34 seconds to login window on 15" iMac 800MHz...
    interestingly, it always takes longer to login the first time after booting up. personally i wish everything was loaded before reaching the login window...

reality

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'd say 30 to 40 seconds for me, I have never bothered clocking it but now next time I turn it on I will clock it, it is much faster hen it used to be, my iMac has gone from 9.2 to 10.1 to 10.2.8 and every time it gets faster so when I put panther On I hope it speeds up a bit.

18. thecow macrumors 6502

Is it actually better to leave it on? I always shut my TiBook down when I am not using it.

19. chv400 macrumors 6502

geez guess i'm just weird but my comp takes at least 4 minutes. It started to take longer after i installed the ATA Card but then again at the same time i set up networking to my borthers room and it always takes 1-2minutes waiting for network intilization. Iu sually leave it on all the time so i don't notice it much. I've gone 3days 1hour and 8 minutes with out restarting. as of 4/14/04 at 8:32 central

20. fBaran macrumors regular

65seconds from when I push the power button to when Login screen. Another minute to finish logging in!

See sig for specs.

21. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Probably not. More use it more likely to wear down more quickly. Most people recommend shutting down if the 2 minutes to get all logged back in doesn't bother you.

22. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well..not sure you are right there dude..unix machines are supposed to be always on..where did you read that it harms system?

23. mms macrumors 6502a

It doesn't harm the system if you don't have those cron jobs run, but it is certainly recommended because it helps the computer run faster by deleting unneeded cache files, among other things. However, becase Unix was originally for servers that were on and active 24/7, the maintenance script was set to run around two or three AM in the morning, a time that would have been unobtrusive.

These tasks can be run manually either from the Terminal or by using some third-party app such as MacJanitor or Cocktail, eliminating the need for the computer to be on all night. Remember that if the computer is on sleep, these scripts don't run. I run the cron jobs manually and either shut the computer down or let it sleep at night, depending on whether or not I have to use it the following morning before I go to school. I haven't heard anywhere that it is bad to shut the computer down every single time, but just a matter or convenience for most people.

24. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

*nix really doesn't need to be on 24/7

It's just that OSes like Linux and BSD are stable and don't have memory leaks, which are the main reasons for rebooting.

There are free tools like anacron that'll manage your cron better, and were written with portable computers in mind (I think this is my third post in three days regarding anacron) - it'll make sure those "3am cron jobs" get run even if your computer is off at 3am.

I only reboot my Powerbook when a software update requires it. Normally I just let it sleep when I'm not using it.