Poll, How many of you MacOS X users shut down your comps at night or put it to sleep?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sevag1, Sep 5, 2002.

?

Poll, How many of you MacOS X users shut down your comps at night or put it to sleep

1. Shut down

22 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Sleep

26 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. macrumors member

The reason i ask this is becuase, today i d/led this app called mac janitor.. it teached me a lot actually, and explained how mac os x runs scripts that clean out cache and what not during the time mac os x is idle. It also mentioned that people's systems which are shut down at night aren't able to run these scripts, and that's where mac janitor comes in.. it also mentions that the speed of your system can decrease if these scripts aren't run.

2. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

i run folding@home, so they're never sleeping, just the screen dims.

D

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors regular

Ah, I was going to put in the cheap plug for Folding but duke beat me to it. It is a distributed-cmputing program that analyzes how protiens assemble themselves. More info. So, yeah, I keep my computer on almost continuosly.

5. macrumors 6502

Never put mine off, maybe add that to the poll. An option for people that don;t turn theirs off.

6. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Allright i'm gonna hijack this thread for a bit... I've downloaded folding@home text client, because i understand it's the fastest, but how do i know it's working? top only shows like 5-10% cpu use, and it just sits there. Does it automatically save progress when you interrupt it? ack so many questions! hell, i think im gonna go DL the screensaver :)

pnw

7. macrumors 603

That's possibly the memory doing the work, but don't quote me on it.

I have a habit of turning off my computers, but I also have a habit of keeping my iBook in sleep mode. Most of the time I shut'em'off (in case of sudden T-Storms for the safe unplug), but I'm trying to adopt to putting them to sleep.

8. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I NEVER used to shut my mac off.. it would stay on for usually a month at at ime... but now with jaguar it boots so fast i just shut it down all the time.

9. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

did not vote because.....
    the powermac is up 24/7

but the ibook naps

10. macrumors 68000

mc68k

The parents get pissed when the bill goes up, so not unless I'm DL'ing *ahem* backup copies of software.

My main machine doesn't fold anymore.

11. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Use the password protected screen saver every time I walk away.

If I'm not back soon, it'll go to sleep - or I'll just press the power button and put it to sleep.

Nice to use OS X and always have all the applications you use already open.

12. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

not to derail this thread too much, but can any of you comment on your useage of the autmatically open programs feature.

i dont use it, becaues i dont want to slow my boot time, but it seems that many like it? WHo uses (or doesnt) it and why (or why not)?

13. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think the thing it's really good for is true hiding of apps. I've had a couple of 3rd-parties that stuck themselves there, just to keep a process active. And norton keeps trying to weasel its way in... which is only annoying considering i had a demo, and uninstalled it long ago...

Could be good for scripting, like when your server crashes and reboots, a script checks and logs everything...

:)
    pnw

14. thread starter macrumors member

i like how this thread has evolved into different topics :) .. thnxs for the votes guys

15. macrumors 603

Your best bet for digression is the Community Forums. :D

If you want something to stay on topic, try posting in the Gen. Mac forums, but no guarentees. :p

16. macrumors 6502a

I run a Carracho tracker and two Carracho servers on my main machine so it never gets shut down, only the screen sleeps.

I just close my iBook when I got to bed :)

17. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I shut down my computer every night, mainly because my old-school G4 doesn't comprehend "deep sleep", so the fan stays on no matter what. Unless it's in the winter, I generally don't like my room to be 5 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 68040

mac15

19. macrumors regular

Hrm, top always shows it as sucking up all available processor for me, which would make sense. It uses very little memory, almost none if I remember correctly. So long as your log files (located in the user/library/folding@home/work folder) show that steps are being completed, it is working, but it doesn't sound like it is working the way it is supposed to (to me). Oh, and, yeah, the processes are saved when necessary.

20. macrumors 65816

evildead

running

My Mac is almost allways running... I think my longest uptime was something in the ball part of 60 days...

21. macrumors 604

scem0

I never turn my comp off. At night I run a screen saver and thats it.

22. macrumors regular

eek!

ok here goes it, I would love to see a hibernate function like winXP has you don't have to leave the computer asleep and eating power but it boots up a hecka lot faster than a normal boot and keeps all things like it was, so sleep but only sleep off !

23. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: eek!

You mean like Restore? Yeah, I gotta admit I always liked that. Although when it really boils down to things, what's an extra 20 seconds? ;)

24. macrumors 68040

mac15

my old computer was up for 31 days, then I has to install an update, I tried to beat the record but I ended up selling it :(

25. macrumors regular

oh hemigray!

its nothing really unless you've got a slow computer or get to class late and you're missing notes plus its a battery saver :-D