Poll: iPod2

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Macmaniac, Feb 13, 2002.

?

What are the stats for the new iPod

1. 10gb w/windows compatibility

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 20gb w/windows compatibility

10 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. 10gb without windows compatibility

29 vote(s)
    48.3%
  4. 20gb without windows compatibility

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

It's poll time again:) This feature poll is about iPod. What are the likely stats for it? Vote:
    10gb w/windows compatibility
    20gb w/windows compatibility
    10gb without windows compatibility
    20gb without windows compatibility

Have fun and vote:) :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes:

2. Jookbox macrumors 6502

what's the point of not making it windows compatible?

for example, a pc users buys an ipod for windows. realizes apple can make some cool ****, then proceeds to check out their desktop solutions.

i guess it just goes along with the pompous attitude a lot of people in the mac community have (trust me, many pc users are no different). and you wonder why apple only has 2.5% of the market?

3. Six macrumors regular

I dunno if they are expanding the hard drive of the iPod right now, its already $400.. Although some people would be willing to pay a lot more for an expanded iPod, I dont know how popular it would be. They could drop the price on the current, but I still think it'd be expensive.

As far as windows compatibility... they should make the iPod compatible with windows. It would sell quickly. Then Apple-hating-window$-losers may shut their mouths because they'd realize Apple makes good stuff.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

yikes,

is apple now down to 2.5 percent?

right before jobs took over, apple was over 6 percent

wsj and time stated right before the imac2 that apple was around 4 percent

now 2.5, i hope that is not right!

i know that the sears and circuit city where i live no longer have macs and that really bites the big one so i guess i am not surprised

5. sockdoggy macrumors regular

Re: Poll: iPod2

I don't think there will be an iPod 2 for a long time.

6. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

10 Gig?

I hope so.

I think Windows compatibility would be smart, but it seems very different from Apple's general approach these days--simply give the Mac the edge in everything. After all, if the direction is "Everything's easier on a Mac," Jobs may not want it to be as easy to use an iPod with Windows. Besides, it's probably a ton of extra work to try and support all of the PC's possible harward permutations.

Never know, though...

Chris

7. Six macrumors regular

To those that were distrubed by this:

Apple's share of the market is and has been 5% for a long time now. Not 2.5%. If anything, apple has gone up in the .00X% range. Breathe easy. :cool:

8. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

No new iPod

There's no way that apple is gonna release a new iPod even if they have already developed it. It's selling too well for them to need an update. The only thing that may change is windows compatibility and maybe a new display. I dont think anythign will change with the iPod until say November. That way its new and fresh (windows) for the Christmas season. Thats what makes the most sense for business.

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I saw the iPod last week here in Venezuela. The thing is so small, that is so good.

Regarles the size of the hard drive I think that more important for the iPod is to add an audio imput device. Could be a 1/8 mini plug with a mic imput. That would put the unit in another level.

Imagine the journalist with the capacity of doing an interview with a 5GB HD! or recording the band practice.

With an audio imput I would pay $500, it would resolve lots of my problems. Imagine going to a friends house and coping the CD's directly from the CD player. That would make the iPod a more independed unit.

I think that should be the way to go, just audio imput.

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I would like to eventually see an iPod with a color screen and video capability, why keep it limited to MP3s? It should eventually become a multimedia device instead of an audio player.

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Video on that little thing? Lord, and I'm nearsighted NOW...

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

They have little tvs so why not? My idea was more to have an a/v port next to the firewire port, maybe I should have mentioned that.

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

$$$

The main problem with the iPod is that it costs to much. I now it's probably worth all $400 of those dollars, but I would rather by a $50 dollar CD player, and just deal with the hassle of CDs.

14. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Anybody use it as their home directory?

I've been thinking about getting an iPod and using it as my Home directory on OS X between my desktop and laptop.

Has anybody tried to do this?

Should work so long as I remember to plug it in before logging in? It would really be great if Apple supported that as a feature out-of-the-box.

Of course, I think that the 20GB iPod would be much more useful for such a thing. (And, of course, it will replace the CDs that I carry in my car.)

15. aristademis macrumors newbie

No new iPod.

All Apple has to do to make it Windows compatible is develop the software for it, not release a new hardware version. I could see Apple releasing iPod software version 2 with Windows compatibility, but not an iPod 2.

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Re: No new iPod.

although i voted 10gb no windows, i think aristademis is right. (who said i couldnt have a different opinion every hour of the day?). apple originally said the "new digital device" they were hyping was going to be for peecees and ppcs. they didnt deliver but they must have had it planned if they made that announcment. and arist is right all they need to do is release some software. hm... even as i write this im finding it less likely but i'll continue. i originally though ipod2 10gb because hey the drive is available its priced the same as the 5gb one was before the ipod came out and its the same size (the 20gb is bigger!). but ibm has 1inch x 1inch drives that are 5 gbs and about the same cost and apple didnt use those (which really bothers me, think how little the ipod could have been!). so apple isnt just using whatever is available. they seem to be making some decisions based on what they think the market wants/needs. of course the market has changed some since the ipod was introduced. some smaller bigger mp3 players have been challenging the ipod lately (even if we know they are cheap knockoffs), so maybe a upgrade is due. whatever the case i think tokyo is possible and if not then then lets put it off til the 1 year aniversery.

17. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Quicktime

There's another thread on Macrumors with some evidence that the new iPod could have video capabilities through Quicktime 6. Not sure how much merit is in this rumor, but it would be cool.

He also mentioned two versions of the iPod: the lite version without video and the full version.

Matthew

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

iPod Video

Video on the iPod is a stupid idea. It may be possible, and even accompliished. It would be kinda neat, but I think it would lose it's cool factor too fast. I would like to see video on the iPod, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

no Windows...

I don't think it would be good for the iPod to be Windows compatible...

wouldn't it go against the whole digital hub theory with an iMac as the centerpiece?

20. PeetX macrumors newbie

CompactFlash Add-onn

I just want to have a CompactFlash card reader add-on.

21. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I already have played DV clips off my iPod over firewire and quicktime to show some roughs I've been working on, and it works great with no dropped frames. The point here is that the iPod already is an amazing and versatile device and the biggest improvement on my list would be more firewire add ons to input raw data into useable formats like audio into aiff files for synch sound while filming or recording live music. How about download from digital cameras? That'd be more useful than being a video jukebox playing through a tiny screen.