Poll: Is Half-Life 2 to much to hope for?

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, Oct 12, 2003.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

unless you have a g5 you probably wont play this well. why dont you go download the source code and start working on it.

iJon

3. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

4. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

i have a 2.0 dual G5 with 9800 pro

i dont know about source code....sorry :(

5. sKaD macrumors newbie

I got 1.8GHz G5...

Are they even making it for Macs?

sKaD

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. sKaD macrumors newbie

I just signed it.

I think HL2 would be great for Mac. I mean really, Blizzard has been making Mac/Window hybrid CD's for a long time. It can't be "that" hard.

:rolleyes:

sKaD

8. job macrumors 68040

job

it could be when you develop the game engine entirely in a proprietary format (read: DirectX 9.0) instead of an open, cross platform format (i.e. OpenGL) like Bizzard does.

yes, directx 9 does have certain feature sets not yet supported by the current version of opengl, but hopefully the release of opengl 2.0 will help even out the feature sets.

9. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Sad but true. Valve are a bunch of former MS employees. They even scorned the PS2 - which has the lion's share of the console market, to focus on the XB.

Based on the leaked alpha, it is nowhere near done. I think Halo will help people forget. And Doom III should be out about the same time. Carmack plays second fiddle to nobody.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

halo will make the mac market forget becuase he have hardly any games. doom is taking so long and i have lost interest. plus the leaked version of half life plays like s*** because no one has compiled it right. if you have seen any of the videos you can tell that this game is very playable if you have the right people who know what they are doing.

iJon

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Ever since that hacker broke into valve's network and stole all of the source code to HL-2, the chances of the PC version getting released on time became nil. I guess if someone really wants hl2 for mac, they can try to get the source code and port it themselves.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im kind of skeptical of this break in. i think it was a publicity stunt. my co worker has been following the whole situation and told me why he thinks it was a stunt, and what he had to say made a lot of sense.

iJon

13. sKaD macrumors newbie

Care to share?

sKaD

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ill have to ask him again, he said so much stuff i cant remember it all. ill try to say some of it but its garbled. alot of it was saying that the way the hackers broke in was an outlook hole, which a patch had been out for it for about 7 months, and they have people who are dedicated to keeping their computers top notch. they have 5 levels of security on the computers (i think he said that, im not sure). he talked about how there was unreal, quake and some other engines found in the source code, there was lots of other source codes from other companies and no lawsuits have been made yet. ill ask him more about it tomorrow.

iJon

15. Jonathan Amend macrumors member

The Half-Life 2 leak was not a publicity stunt. People at Valve are obviously very upset and revealing the source would make it far too easy to create hacks and cheats for the game that would be almost impossible to detect or block. You also contradict yourself by saying that the Half-Life 2 had source from Unreal and other engines (Quake makes sense since Half-Life 2's roots are Quake 2) which is something Valve would want to keep secret.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thats fine, honestly i dont care, as long as it comes out soon and i can play it.

iJon

17. job macrumors 68040

job

Not really. I have personally seen it running on a 2.4Ghz P4 box with a Geforce4 Ti4200 and 512MB of RAM. At 1024*768 with default settings (you can't change anything) it ran flawlessly. The person was able to play all of the E3 demo levels and was even able to show that certain actions were indeed scripted (Valve had stated otherwise.) And that is with DirectX 8.1, not 9.0.

And in other Valve news, it turns out that they have hired a new developer for CS:CZ even though that game has supposedly gone gold. That makes it the third time Valve has switched developers. :rolleyes:

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

awesome, my friend downloaded the leaked stuff and got it working at RIT, i guess there is different ways to do it. good to know it played great.

iJon

19. job macrumors 68040

job

yeah, it's nice to see that the engine can scale as well as valve said it would.

even the havok physics engine ran perfectly. objects moved like they would in real-life. the only thing that was off was the water texture.

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i guess i will have to check it out.

iJon

21. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

You make a good point, it is clear that it cannot be a publicity stunt, as that would just be dumb... why the heck would anyone want to freely give out a source code, that is the same as me leaving the keys to my house in a random publich place, with my address on the keychain..

aethier

PS: welcome to the forums, Jonathen

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont know, i just find it kind of odd their pride and joy game engine that is suppose to blow everyone away was comprimised by a security hole in outlook express when a patch for it was out 7 months ago.

iJon

23. sKaD macrumors newbie

Could have been a different hole. Or their Admins are just dumb, I mean... they are Windows users..

sKaD

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the sites have specifically said what hole it was. and im sure the admins are real dumb, because they use windows :rolleyes: and have worked on the team who has created one of the hottest games to released in a long time

iJon

25. Jonathan Amend macrumors member

Was that a grammar mistake or did you say they were dumb because they made one of the most widely anticipated games of all time?

If they're dumb for coding a Windows game, why does the Mac community desperately want that game to be ported? Surely it can't be that great if it's restricted to the Windows platform and was coded by an incompetent bunch of Windows programmers. I also doubt that all Windows users are dumb... Last I heard, Mac OS X wasn't exactly the OS of choice for the technically minded. It was, after all, the original platform for AOL.