Poll (kinda): who uses a 14" ibook as their main computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NusuniAdmin, Jul 9, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Who uses a 14" ibook as their main computer (darn safari is lagging again!!! grr). I am just wondering. Also if you do, then do you have it hooked up to a monitor or not?
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I use a 12" PowerBook as my main computer. I know it's not a 14" iBook, but since it's smaller, it should interest you. I use it with a 21" monitor, external keyboard and mouse. As you are probably aware, you can easily hack the iBook's firmware to make it support extended desktop onto an external display.

From experiences of playing around with the 14" iBook at the Apple Store, it looks like one could manage using it as a main computer without an external display. Just prop it up on some books so it's eye level on your desk, or pick up an iCurve from Griffin. That said, CRT's are cheap. You can pick up a 17" CRT for a little over $100. I'd probably recommend just doing that. Makes things a whole lot easier.
  3. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    I use a 15" lcd right now as my main display..i love it so much more than crts. No matter what (the emac screen is an exception...wierd) i get really really bad headaches. Even on higher refresh rates..its just werd how emac one dont. Anyways thanks.
  4. colinp macrumors member

Jul 7, 2004
    I've got a 12" Powerbook that I've turned into my main machine, sans monitor or keyboard (for now at least- this is really bred from necessity as I'll be working overseas for awhile and so don't want to travel with a keyboard or monitor). When I was deciding between the iBook or the Powerbook early last month I took a serious look at screen quality. I liked the 14" of the iBook, as I found the 15" of the Pbook to be a bit bigger than I wanted, and the 12" Pbook maybe a bit too small. Upon close inspection the screen of the iBook just didn't look as crisp and nice as the 12" Pbook, which I ultimately determined to be large enough (though, honestly, photoshop work does get a bit crowded when editing digi cam pictures- but since the resolution of the 12" and the 14" are the same, not much is gained by the extra two inches..).

I know the 12" Pbook is more expensive than the 14" iBook, but if you're concerned about possible eye strain or problems than I think the 12", despite the smaller size, might be a better choice, as the screen is noticeably (to me) sharper and nicer.

I think it'll work fine as a desktop replacement either way you go though, as long as you don't mind the smaller screen size. External mice and keyboard might be preferred, but I'm doing fine with just an external mouse (a small laptop one that I *only* use to play games, otherwise I just use the trackpad for everything. I don't want to worry about setting up the mouse, particularly when I'm on the couch surfing the net). Hope this helps!
  5. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Used to. Its still in my sig. Im on a 12" pb. and loving it. though the 14" ibook whent to my sister in-law. my brother got a 12" ibook, and he loves it. none of use use and external moniter. and it works great as a main computer :)
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
  7. daxdagr8t macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    i'm using my 12in pb as main computer.i used to have an alienware desktop and the performance drop is bearable with a 256 ram.i guess wat im saying is that ur computing needs will dictate if ur satisfied with the performnce of ur portable machine. :D
  8. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    the emacs monitor certainly isn't an amazing crt, its not bad. But you say every other crt youve looked at gave you really bad headaches? strange but i supose it could happen! but there are some amazing crt monitors out there, with a jaw droppingly beautiful picture! :D
  9. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    ok thanks guys. And yes every other crt monitor has given me headaches...whether it be cheapy or expensive ones. Its just kinda odd. (is writing this while a bunch of stupid jets fly over my house....accurse having a base a few miles away!)

Does anyone know if smalldog is accepting new customers yet.....before they had a warning up about new customers but now its gone.
  10. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    No, their contract with Apple prevents them from selling new Apple products over the internet unless you're one of their existing customers, pretty weird setup. If you try to buy something their contract doesn't allow the checkout will ask for your "Top Dog Club" details.

You can still buy brand new previous generation systems or refurbished systems from them though without being an existing customer.
  11. dvdh macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2004
    Happily using a 14" ibook as my main computer. I also have a 17" CRT monitor that I can use with it, but the 14" LCD is much easier on the eyes in the long run, so the CRT doesn't see that much use.

Besides, when you work in multiple different places, the ibook sure beats lugging around a desktop. . .
  12. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    I went on several different sites to gater data...to get a new ibook off macmall.com (which comes with ram and case) minus all the rebates would be about 1,333 dollars. To get a refurb off smalldog and have it match as closely to the macmall one as possible it would be 1 dollar less...and that does not include a case. Overall id say my dad is expecting me to decide on an emac but to be honest i would love to to be portable...especially since i am going quite a few places this year which are like 5 hours away and stuff.

Id say ill probly get off macmall...i like the specs

1 ghz 14" ibook g4
    256 meg ram + free 512 meg ram
    40 gig hd (ill probly put my current 60 in a firewire case...)
    combo drive
    case (free :) )
    $1294 dollars
    + $39 dollar free ram install fee (why must it be manditory!!!?!?)

later on i might get one of the car adapters and maybe an extra battery :)
    THis is gonna make a nice machine...especially compared to my current 500 mhz beige g3 with 352 megs of ram....*sigh*...this ibook is about 300 dollars more than the emac i wanted...but its a little less powerfull :(..but its portable :)
  13. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    iBook works well as main computer

I've been using a G4 933 Mhz iBook 14" as my main Mac for about 8 months, and it's been a decent workhorse (other than a bad 512 MB memory module upgrade issue).

I travel a lot as a cross platform multimedia developer, so I need to have both a Mac and a Win box in my bag. I had originally ordered the New Powerbook model (the 1.33, if I remember) in October 2003, but they had that fiasco with the screens and stoped Powerbook production for a few weeks. Since I needed to head back to Europe, I bought the iBook as a temporary fill-in and was thinking to get the Powerbook after the problems were sorted out.

Well, here I am 8 months later still using the iBook. I prefer the larger screen of the 14" to the 12" iBook - it's easier to read. My PC laptop has an amazing 1600 x 1200 pixels, which is sweet for layout but a total pain for legibility of text, etc.

Also, I used the hack to get screen spanning, and run an external Samsung 19" off the iBook whenever I'm at home to give a lot of real estate.

I still think about an update to the Powerbook 15", but the hassles in upgrading (I've found from numerous experiences that it takes almost a week away from my productivity to get my programs reloaded and my files set back up) always keep me on the slower iBook that's working okay.