Poll: Most Americans Now Say War Was a Mistake

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 28, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    But it's still within the margin, and it also shouldn't be near that close. :(
  3. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Considering some people still equate Saddam with 9/11, it seems justifiable to them. Terrorists are bad, Iraq = terrorists, therefore Iraq is bad. So we have to help the Iraqi people... even if we're killing thousands of them, 1300 of our own troops, and the real terrorist who attacked us is still at large. If you're paying attention to what's going on, you realize that the administration cares more about the war than the troops or the people.

It's pretty hard to justify a war when all of your excuses to wage it turn out to be false. Especially when you decide to go to war first, then make up the reasons later. And everyone else is telling you what a mistake it will be. Then plan things poorly... or not at all. Why are we there again?
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Someone I know, whose son is serving in Iraq, said the other day that he was proud of the contribution he was making to the war on terror. Of course out of respect for this individual (who I do respect in any case), I'd say nothing to contradict him. But privately I feel doubly for him, and families of all the servicemen and women in Iraq, for the rationalizations they must have to invent in their own minds to justify the risk of tragedy this President has caused in their lives.
  5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    So where is all of this leading? The Neocons seem to have something in mind with the weapons systems they are in favor of designing? Are they forgetting the Empires tend to be defeated by small enemies and not large ones?

Isn't the height of irony to be prepared for the imaginary 'ultimate' enemy and not the one(s) that you created out of your own greed?
  6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    My kid brother is serving in Iraq, and neither he nor anyone in my family hold such a silly pretense. He's over there 'cause he wants to see combat. We know it, he knows we know it, and no one in my family pats him on the back for "making a sacrifice" because we know the deal.