Poll:MWSF

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, Nov 14, 2001.

1. macrumors regular

What do you guys think will come out in MWSF? My thoughts are:
    --------
    maybe LCD based iMac, most likely between 700mhz-1ghz
    G5 based processor at speeds of 1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, and possibly 1.6ghz
    Maybe another piece to the digital hub puzzle
    Most likely not updates to ibook and powerbook, or very small
    Maybe 19 inch flat screen display
    cuts in prices for flat screen displays
    possibility of new mouse or keyboard, but not likely
    release of some sort of software, maybe Final Cut Pro for OS X, or small update to OS X
    New G5 in servers, config of 1.2, 1.4, dp 1.4, and maybe a quad 1.2.
    --------
    I think that sums it up, what do you guys think?

2. macrumors 6502a

my guesses...

No LCD iMac.
    No G5.

Speed bumps for iMacs and G4s
    Lower prices
    FCP for OS X

1 surprise.

3. Retired

jefhatfield

sounds like what i think too, except for the server thing and the 19" LCD monitor...but those two things would be really cool, too

4. macrumors regular

yeah. no 19" they will get the cost of that 22 down eventually.

I think we'll see some burly g3s.

I doubt the G5s. They aren't far enough along yet. They will need to have those G5s be such a large step above the G4 to help push the sales. Heck, these G4s weren't as big of a jump as they should have been. They jsut look cooler.

G3 = light, new user

G4 = getting your feet wet in graphics, film, audio

G5 = professionals

I think that they will continue to trickle out little wiz-bang things for OSX as well. I wish the PIN option for the tool bar didnt need to be a hack.

5. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Ahh, I sure wish Apple would get a DPG5 out soon, I need more power!!! I have a huge amount of FCP compositing in a 30sec TV spot i have to do and the renders are killing me!
    I think there might be one of those Apple "Look at this! Isn't it great? You can have one in two months." announcements at this MW.

6. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

I wonder what they're really working on right now at Apple. They were able to get the iPod out without everybody knowing exactly what it was, there were some close guesses, but none of the boards had photos of it, or knew exactly what it was capable of.
    I would really like to be surprised (pleasantly) at this year's MW. Last year I was on an extended shoot in the mountains and away from real internet access so when I took a day to come out of the hills and check out MW, I was surprised by just about everything there.

7. macrumors newbie

i like the idea of a G5 announcement... or at least some sort of mention of it.

moreover my crystall baller seems to note a very large jump in G4 speed. it sees the new post 1 ghz chips waiting to get into the powermacs...

i really would like apple to finally take its entire desktop lineup past that wall... whether it means anything or not. its become more of a psychological barrier than anything really significante...

heres to the one more thing we love so much

jai

8. Retired

jefhatfield

psycological sells computers when it comes to 1 GHz (unfortunately) and a lot of it is marketing...G4 or G5, we need 1 GHz because the celeron is beyond that now

...but we know a G4 533 could smoke that!

btw, congrats SPG on SM

9. Retired

jefhatfield

actually, i would even take a G4 400 over a 1 GHz celeron if i had to have just one computer

10. macrumors regular

I think that if the G5 isn't ready, we'll at least hear about it from Apple. Also, I'm hopeful for Apollo chips, at least in the power Macs. Just don't get your hopes up only to have them dashed like MWNY last July.

11. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

An announcement that there are G5 chips without a firm release date within 60days of MWSF would kill current sales too much. In the current climate I'm not sure Apple would do that. They'd keep their mouths shut, sell a few more G4's then announce when they could actually ship them. We'd be bummed, type a lot of irate posts, then buy them when they finally come out.

Thanks Jeff, I may not be posting in volume for long though, looks like work's about to pick up again.
    ¿mymemmory how do you get the ~ over the n so I can be called Sen˜or Member?˜

12. macrumors regular

more features for iPod...it will grow beyond a MP3/hd (but don't think PDA...think different) one of these features may be mentioned at the DV Expo by Shiller.

no G5 also no mention of G5

no LCD iMac, but an update of iMac...possibly lower prices

G4 mhz bump, super drive in all top three G4's with an entry G4 without a burner (like the current education one)

THEY BETTER HAVE FCP by this time!!

more OSX features added that should have been there on the first shipping date.

Adobe will have announcements here.

13. macrumors 6502a

No LCD imac, we will see price drops in the imac before then.

No G5, just not ready yet.

Speed bumps possibly.

agreed Adobe will announce stuff.

Im wondering if there is space for apple to have three Processors? G5, G4, G3
    I know intel do that with the celeron,P3,P4.

I would like apple to drop the G4 completely, but thats just my opinion.

14. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

G5

In many other sites it says that JR says that the G5 is ready he just wants to test it a bit more.

G5s will be released, (But DONT quote me!)

Some change to iMac.

Thanks,
    Guy

15. macrumors 68030

britboy

SPG

to get the ñ, and become Señor Miembro, (using a mac of course!) you type alt + n, n. As in, alt and n together, and then n again on its' own.

If you're using a pc (heaven forbid!), then type alt + 0, 2, 4, 1. As in, hold down alt, and punch in the sequence 0, 2, 4, 1.

Clear enough?

Enjoy!

Señor Facey

16. SPG
    macrumors 65816

SPG

Gracias Britboy,
    Señor Spikey, what is it about the G4 that makes you want to see it dissapear? You dont think it should be used in the new iMac?
    I'm not taking any sides, I'm just curious about your opinion of the G4.

17. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

G4 vs G3

The G3 is fantastic but then again so is the G4, I have got both a G3 500 PB and a G4 667, the G3 is very fast but the G4 seems to be more efficent in Pshop, Illustrator and the net etc...

Whats is FANTASTIC is that at work I have a G4 800DP which KICKS the AMD XP1800+ Arse.

MACS RULE! COME ON G5 SHOW THEM WHAT WE ARE MADE OF!

Guy

18. macrumors 6502a

Because motorolas G4 has pretty much destroyed the market gain the imac gave apple.
    It got to 500Mhz and then it just stopped.
    Even now it isnt scaling as well as it should.
    And now that IBM are saying they can make a 1Ghz G3 i just think the G4 is pathetic in comparison.
    Agreed altivec is a plus, but not being able to scale the clock speeds has put apple well behind the PC competition.
    So i think its timew to cut their losses and drop the G4.

I would rather have a 1Ghz G3 in an imac rather than a G4, heat issues might be a problem. The imac is for the home user so it doesnt really need altivec.
    The G3 should still be able to scale the clock speeds, it would be made by IBM so it has a lot of money put into it.

Im not sure whether it is motorola or just the design of the G4 but for some reason it still isnt moving fast enough, Apple needs to cacth up to PCs in clock speed and the speed the consumer sees. The G4 is holding apple back.

I doubt keeping the G4 would do much for apple really.
    Maybe these apollos will prove me wrong.

19. macrumors 6502a

Its not to do with what chip is better but what chip is going to be better for apples future. This is what apple should have thought of before they decided to go with the G4.

20. macrumors regular

drop the G4. Viva la G5 and G3!

Current G4's just plain old stink. Sure they're fast, I'm not desputing that, but compared to the achitecture of the 7410 G4's with the full megabyte L2 cache, they are just sacrificing processor eficency to obtain higher Mhz numbers. Right now a great example of this is the new powerbook G4's the 667 Mhz G4 was beaten in 5 out of the 8 tests performed by Barefeats. The bottom line is that the G5 peaked out when the dual 533's were out. These new generation G4's are being made to run at clock speeds that don't improve them! Give me a 7410 series chip running at 800 Mhz in a dual confirguration and i'll bet that it will trounce the new dual 800. So I say drop the G4 and long live dual G5's (can anyone say semi-realtime in FCP? - i can only hope)

21. macrumors newbie

G5 don't think so...last time I checked it was in revision .6 or .7 as much as we want it, it'll probably be better to wait until it actually works like we want it to. LCD imacs...possibly I mean LCD prices have improved but the fact is they are still a hell of lot more expensive to make. I agree about anouncemnt stuff for OSX. All the major manufactures have been talking about if for while..when they are releasing etc. January would be a good way for them to kick off the new year.. with X versions. I think FInal Cut and DVDSP for X will be making the headlines..I hope!

22. macrumors newbie

Processor debate is pointless

Unless you have hard evidence, a debate concerning future processors is pointless. Nobody on this board has a clue about Apple's future processor plans, period.

I think you can speculate on things like form factor and support hardware because Apple has a well established pattern of incremental improvement in this regard. This doesn't mean Apple has to stick to its pattern; rather, this is the only area where raw speculation has any merit.

As such, given the fact that every piece of harware Apple sells is dressed in some variation of off-white or gray, there will be a new iMac. I don't have a clue about LCD or not, but I would suggest a new form factor is coming. I hope we get all hard drives up to ATA 100, GEForce 2 in the iMac, and DDR RAM in the power pc desktop. A surprise would be DVD-R in the high-end iMac.

Just my thoughts of course. However reading the many previous posts makes me think most are taking a WAG (wild-ass guess) at processor improvements.

23. macrumors 6502a

No spedly.

you are taking the processor debate out of context. This is a Rumor forum so these are all rumors and assumptions, so most of the debates are not based on hard facts but rumored facts.

As for future processor plans, well actually we do have a clue. This is the point of a rumor site spedly, it gives away clues.

If this site was based on hard facts it would be called maccentral.com. but it isnt.

the one thing i think i might agree with you on is that we must take the rumors wth a pinch of salt, we dont want a repeat of MacworldNY.

24. Retired

jefhatfield

good place for clues

http://www.motorola.com

...and i am not saying this sarcastically, just visit the hyperlink and be prepared to spend hours on the site

a huge, huge, site but bits and pieces of clues here

i also cruz intel, amd, and other corporate sites for clues and this has proved pretty reliable

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-17-2001 at 12:20 PM]

25. macrumors regular

sweetaction> I doubt the G5s. They aren't far enough along yet.

The 8500 has been taped out for months now.

> They will need to have
    those G5s be such a large step above the G4 to help push the sales.

I fail to see what relevance this point has with your previous point. The
    only interpretation which constructs any sort of relevance is that you are
    asserting that the G5 requires more development time. This makes no sense
    given that the G5 is already taped out.

> Heck,
    these G4s weren't as big of a jump as they should have been.

The G5's quota of technological advancement is independent of the G4's,
    unless you can enlighten me further upon this.

> They jsut
    look cooler.

(*rolls eyes*) Now you're becoming really abstract. You're either jumping
    from processors in the past few paragraphs to commenting on Apple's
    current case design, or you're admiring the actual G4 processor's
    appearance (`look cooler') as opposed to the 7xx series (how all this
    relates to the G5 is beyond me.)

>G4 = getting your feet wet in graphics, film, audio

>G5 = professionals

This is precisely the sort of fragmentation Jobs reduced straight off the
    bat in 97, by reducing the profusion of product lines and eventually
    forming the 2 x 2 matrix with which we are all by now comfortably
    acquainted.

Second, your dividing `professionals' and amateurs (to me) counts as an
    unnecessary division. Precisely how would the two sets of systems differ?
    Surely the role to which you have ascribed the G4 could be shoehorned in
    to either the `consumer' or `professional' side of the equation.