Poll: OS 9 Users & Photoshop 7

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldMac, Apr 6, 2002.

Will you switch to OS X upon the release of Photoshop 7?

1. Yes. The day it arrives is the day I make the switch.

0 vote(s)
  2. Probably. I'll go dual-system for a while to try it out.

1 vote(s)
  3. Probably Not. I might take a look at it, but why would I want to leave the greatest system ever mad

0 vote(s)
  4. Never!!! Photoshop 2.5 under 7.0.1 is the bomb!

0 vote(s)
  1. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Okay. Here's a poll for all the OS 9 users out there.

How many of you are planning to switch to OS X immediately upon the release of Photoshop 7?
  2. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    one of my clients has 350 macs and is planning to switch over in 3 1/2 years due to cost

they are happy with os 9 and photoshop 5.5

all their macs and software is rented and they don't intend on renewing their plan until it becomes absolutely necessary

also, the client is worried about any costs in retraining the 350 mac users for os x

personally, if it was up to me, which it isn't, i would make the switch sometime next year and start teaching the users on os x later this year
  3. oldMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001

I'm with you, Jef.

I think that, as an OS, OS X is ready to go primetime. If I was making those kinds of decisions for the advertising agency I used to work with, a couple things would need to happen first...

1) Quark would have to be native - When?
    2) Photoshop would have to be native - We're So Close
    3) Illustrator would have to be native - Okay
    4) Machines would need to be B&W G3s or higher - Okay (mostly?)

Ideally, this would happen...

1) SMB Networking/Browsing would be flawless - Lots of work here...
    2) Classic would have an "instant boot" option - More like VPC
    3) Apps would launch faster than a fly in molasses
    4) Printing would be more reliable
    5) File dialogues would return to be more like OS 9 - Desktop & Documents
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i am in the outskirts of the silicon valley but i might as well be in the middle of the amazon jungle

just thirty miles away where the action is at, people have tibooks and are doing graphics on dual g4s and using os x

but in my neck of the woods, literally in some cases, people are on windows 95 and 98, and on the mac side are stuck mostly with beige or blue and white g3s and using os 8.x or 9

and of the g4s out there, os 9 still rules the roost
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    also the training in monterey for graphics/web people is behind san jose (just 50 mi. north)

the highest accredited art degree our county offers in graphic design or web design is an associate's degree and there are no adobe certified experts from what i have seen and nowhere one can get trained to get the ACE

as for os x training, i have never heard of anything yet

therefore, my high tech client with all the mac machines will get running on os x three and a half years from now as they have proposed

but that client offers tons of training in windoze:eek:

i am just a techie so excuse me for not knowing the proper terms and usages concerning graphic and web designers...i am getting burned out just being the computer/network/software fix it guy and would one day like to actually do something with a mac like many of you and become a designer or audio engineer

after i am dead and gone, as we will all be one day, i don't want an inscription on my tombstone which says, "he made sure that all the machines worked really good"
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Having Photoshop port, still means I won't be able to work natively in OSX, I'm still waiting for Director aswell, and Dreamweaver would be nice......

As soon as all the main programs I use work natively in OSX I'll change over!! I use OSX alot, so familiarity isn't a problem, I just have to wait for the software to come!!:)

Hey jefhatfield,...... it's never too late to make a change........ it's weird what you said about wanting to try design or audio stuff, made me think.... some of the small design places I have worked in, they didn't have any Techies, so we had to learn and teach ourselves stuff (granted alot easier for a mac than a PC...) I don't see why the same can't be said for Techies trying out creative stuff........ Have a play......... you might be the new David Carson, he never had formal design training either, so it shows that it can be done!!!;)
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    even though a techie is not the most commonly associated person that one sees as a potential artist, i have met a lot of frustated artists who were really good but never made money so they went into being techies

i know that i don't have that artistic bent in me though i did take a couple of art classes and was a mediocre guitarist for twenty plus years

the graphic and web designers who i know that can draw and paint really well have that extra edge when it comes to doing their art on the computer...composition, color, negative space

i am so glad to see that an artist can express themselves on the computer and that real talent can be even be seen using zeros and ones
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Thats a cool attitude to have towards creatives, i know so many techies who so cannot understand anything vaguely creative, makes a change to hear something alittle more enthusiastic to the cause.....:)

I love guitars.... just can't play them that well, so i know what you're on about!!:p