Poll: OS X Browser of Choice (09/02)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by dongmin, Sep 8, 2002.

?

What's your primary OS X browser (and what system are you running)?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2002.
  1. Chimera

36 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Mozilla

24 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Internet Explorer

30 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. OmniWeb

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Netscape

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. iCab

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Now that Chimera 0.5, Mozilla 1.1, and Netscape 7.0 are all out and people are making the switch to Jaguar, I'm curious to see what people are using as their primary OS X browser.

Mine: Mozilla 1.1 on an iBook 500 running 10.2

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mozilla 1.1, Cube, 10.1.5

Fast, somewhat stable, anti-aliasing

Quick to check mail, quick to load, smells funny after beating the crap out of Netscape. :p :D

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I go back and forth between IE, Moz and Chimera.

I still use IE as my primary, since it's easier to navigate w/out the mouse...a big deal on my PBG4.

4. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

IE all the way. I have Mozilla and iCab installed, but they are not worth the effort to switch to. I have been using IE since version 4.5, and am used to the interface.

5. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Mozilla 1.1 on tibook 800 for me. However, it keeps crashing at certain sites and I don't know why. Chimera crashes at the same sites, too. Oh well...

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

7. vniow macrumors G4

8. finchna macrumors regular

Mozilla 1.1 (nightly builds, too) While it's a bit slower than OmniWeb and Chimera those two still don't render some pages well and some functionality is still missing--esp. from Chimera. IE is ok until it just bogs down after too much use--is there such a think as a memory leak in OSX? And what ever happened to Opera?

Nathan

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I try to use Chimera as much as I can. And it almost never renders incorrectly. But it does crash occasionally (no worse than IE in most situations though) and it seems to have some timing issues (it seems to lose connection to the internet when everything else is running fine).

When I get frustrated with Chimera, I usually fall back onto Omniweb. Then when I get sick of waiting for Omniweb to load the MacRumors forum pages, I go to Mozilla. Then, when I get sick of Mozilla's slow window and tab instancing times and its slower UI functionality in general, I go back to Chimera. Then when Chimera losses connectivity....

You get the picture. I'm really excited about the future of Chimera. It is shaping up to be a great browser; lightning fast in both the UI and rendering departments. If they can nail down the few bugs it has and then add some must-have browser features without increasing the bloat, it'll reign supreme. Its sooooo close already.

Taft

10. dongmin thread starter macrumors 68000

dongmin

It's kind of funny: at 26 votes, it's all tied up between Chimera, Mozilla, and IE at 8 votes each. I guess the people on this forum are at the bleeding edge if as many people use Chimera as IE.

11. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Pardon my naivete, but what the bloody bleep is Chimera?

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's a cocoa browser under the Mozilla group...and it's fast...here's a link:
    http://chimera.mozdev.org/

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

like taft, i use chimera mainly. and i get that whole losing connection thing too.... i just restart it and it works. but it's weird

and i'll use ie as my backup when sometimes downloading files messes up in chimera or whatever else.... word

oh yeah, running 10.2 on dp 800

14. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

15. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

It depends, on what I am doing, sometimes I use Mozilla, and Micro$haft Internet Exploder.

You couldnt pay me enough to use Netsucks nonw, It used to be awesome, and now it just sucks @$$ :p

16. 3777 macrumors 6502

17. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Chimera..and you meant the nightlies named 0.5 didn't you, 'cause I see no .5 released yet...

18. backspinner macrumors 6502a

I use the latest builds of Chimera, and IE as back up (for testing and downloading).

19. wilburpan macrumors regular

Ditto for me.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

primary would be ie and sometimes mozilla

jaguar really helped ie and the scrolling issues

21. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I used to use IE, moved to Mozilla, then Chimera, then back to IE for a while, and now on Chimera. I use OmniWeb once in while, just for the kick of it. I dunno, it's hard finding the right browser for me... the most promising though.. is of course Chimera. And, seeing that it is only officially at 0.4, I am very excited to see how the 1.0 release turns out to be like. I hope it doesn't go down the drain like Netscape.

irmongoose

22. Jays macrumors member

Is use Chimera and Netscape 7 most of the time.
    After a long time using Mozilla I switch to Netscape because Mozilla was annoyingly slow to use on my PBG4 550/768RAM.

I don't quite get it way most people here are not happy with Netscape, i think after the tragic 6 browser they are finally back.

BTW IE haven't used it in ages it totally sucks, anyway for someone who need more than only Roman characters IE is not an option, I'm not sure why but M$ does not support Hebrew on the Mac in any of it's programs.... but hey who needs them anyway.

23. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

24. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Here is a newer link:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/chimera/

It's been my number 1 for a few weeks now--switched from Mozilla when it finally became stable enough. I keep up with nightlies by using ChimeraKnight.

Chris

25. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley