Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reduce Motion

• On

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • Off

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • I like Rose Gold

Votes: 18 8.9%

• Total voters

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Last year I bought the 6 Plus and sometimes the animation would lag when closing an app / folder so I turned on Reduce Motion.
After I got used to it I enabled it on my iPad Air 2 and my 15" rMBP (animate opening apps) because I like my Apple devices to be "in sync".

Now, with the 6s Plus being so damn powerfull and lag free I turned it off on all my Apple devices and I'm getting used to the animations again.

I was wondering which option do you guys prefer ?

Reactions: Jetcat3

FloridaGary

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I have a 6 and it has always been off. Never experienced a performance issue on iOS 8 or 9.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
i have it off. I know in ios8 (my personal exp), if you turned reduce motion on, the UI would stall for the duration of the animation thereby not giving any speed ups.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Was going to make a new thread..but, feel like this should go here..

On an iPhone 6 running 9.0.2...I feel like I end up having to press almost everything twice, A LOT of the time..

i.e. Coming out of an app and opening a new one or unlocking via Touch ID and trying to open that first app..

I have reduce motion set to ON and still don't find the device snappy enough to keep up.

Am I expecting too much and this is the standard or do I need to address something?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I hate reduce motion because like someone else said... having things just fade into place doesn't really tell you where it came from. I like the visual feedback of seeing something open up, instead of just popping into place.

Reduce motion also feels out of place because the rest of the animations are still enabled (such as swiping left and right and the card view scrolling). I think they should give us more choices for closing and opening animations. I kinda like the animation of using a link inside mail where Safari will slide into view from the right. It could be cool to have that animation for opening apps.

Jukens

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013

On an iPhone 6 running 9.0.2...I feel like I end up having to press almost everything twice, A LOT of the time..

i.e. Coming out of an app and opening a new one or unlocking via Touch ID and trying to open that first app..

I have reduce motion set to ON and still don't find the device snappy enough to keep up.

Am I expecting too much and this is the standard or do I need to address something?
You have that issue because they removed touch input while still in an animation since iOS 9, for example when you close an app it wont respond to any input until the animation is complete....very annoying, making me have to double tap apps as well.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I would use Reduce Motion, except that the delays where the device doesn't respond to touch even though everything looks settled and ready are even bigger than they are without it.

I can tap/swipe the screen several times before it responds after any animation (such as going to home screen, opening a folder, etc...)

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I don't mind the animations too much, as the "Reduce Motion" animations (the fade effect) is just as fast or slow as the standard zoom animations.

This is only important to those who get motion sickness.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

LimonJoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Last year I bought the 6 Plus and sometimes the animation would lag when closing an app / folder so I turned on Reduce Motion.
After I got used to it I enabled it on my iPad Air 2 and my 15" rMBP (animate opening apps) because I like my Apple devices to be "in sync".

Now, with the 6s Plus being so damn powerfull and lag free I turned it off on all my Apple devices and I'm getting used to the animations again.

I was wondering which option do you guys prefer ?

I turn reduce motion on. Runs faster, less impact on battery with my 6. Which hasn't been an issue. The 6 is my first iPhone after using android since its inception and I could never get 16hours screen on time like I can with my iPhone.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I turn reduce motion on. Runs faster, less impact on battery with my 6. Which hasn't been an issue. The 6 is my first iPhone after using android since its inception and I could never get 16hours screen on time like I can with my iPhone.

Depends on the device.
I run a 6S Plus and a Note 5 and their battery life is pretty darn close. Each is >1 day.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011

This right here is the number 1 reason I had to go back to 8.4.1. It's maddening! It takes me multiple taps to get anything to happen when it would happen instantly on 8.4.1. If they ever fix this I'll jump to iOS 9 in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Act3

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
This right here is the number 1 reason I had to go back to 8.4.1. It's maddening! It takes me multiple taps to get anything to happen when it would happen instantly on 8.4.1. If they ever fix this I'll jump to iOS 9 in a heartbeat.

Well, it's too damn bad I didn't realize the fault in iOS 9's ways until it was too late. Don't know why it took me so long.

I'd have rolled back, also - don't think that's being signed anymore, though.

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014

Exact same thing here iPhone 6s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.