Poll: The Future of DotMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by r-sparks, Feb 15, 2007.

?

By the end of 2007, what will have happened to DotMac?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2007.
  1. Price drop to more sensible level

19.6%
  2. Features boosted, such as more online storage space, better justifying the price

58.8%
  3. DotMac is officially killed and services such as .Mac email made free of charge

13.7%
  4. DotMac is killed but another service takes its place, perhaps a stripped down version of .Mac

7.8%
  1. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

By the end of the year, what do you think will have happened to .Mac?

1) Price drop to more sensible level

2) Features boosted, such as more online storage space, better justifying the price

3) DotMac is officially killed and services such as .Mac email made free of charge

4) DotMac is killed but another service takes its place, perhaps a stripped down version of .Mac

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I went for the reduced price although more space would have been a reasonable alternative.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Where's the option for Apple leave it as it is? When I first signed up for .Mac a few years back it was reasonable value because you would get access to free stuff, does that even happen anymore? Now it just looks like over priced email to me, sure it has a bunch of syncing features that most of the time just don't work.

4. kayjprod macrumors newbie

Maybe we should ask what we hope will happen?
    I can't see Apple lowering the price, but I'd imagine they have little apps they can include for free without incurring any real costs for themselves.

I find .Mac really useful, but I don't think it justifies its cost when there is so much available for free from other providers.

5. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I think apple should make it free for everyone that buys 10.6 or buys a computer that already comes with 10.6 :)

6. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

10.6 may not come out for a while...:p

Lets wait for 10.5 first :)

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I would like to see a much cheaper version - many people only want simple iWeb and iPhoto features, without the e-mail etc...

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Does anyone still care? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd love 2GB of space and VoIP rolled out in the price with free world wide calls and a server side voicemail but nobody asks me, so whatever.

9. Gosh macrumors 6502

Do a deal and incorporate the ace Yojimbo app and bring back an anti virus freebie for those who must!

http://www.barebones.com/products/yojimbo/

People typically want different things from dotMac:

1/ those who want web mail/bookmarks/on line storage from any computer.
    2/ those who want to sync their Macs
    3/ those who use the iWeb/Groups/Photocasting

So break the price down and allow mix and match/top-up and allow a lower base price!

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Complete tripe. The syncing feature works everytime between my C2D iMac and G4 PB here. I've been using .Mac for years now and have NEVER experienced this problem. I sync my machines daily.

It does however need speed enhancements, upgrading of storage capacity and reduced cost.

David

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I voted for features boosted... it'd be nice if they actually made the web hosting fast - here in the UK sites published to .Mac are slooow, but maybe that's just because Apple needs to have a version of .Mac for us Brits :D

More space is needed, as well as better, more innovative features.

12. J Radical macrumors regular

J Radical

Dot mac is priced well outside my comfort zone. Coming from the PC world I point blank refuse to pay an outrageous yearly fee for services that others provide for free.

Microsoft Live/msn/hotmail suits my needs just fine, I really feel apple are vulnerable in this area. I'd love to have access to the full feature set but the daft price puts me off.

making .mac free would be what I would like to see, I don't mind small adverts to cover the costs on apple's side.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I agree that nothing will change, but the most important thing, and the reason I'm willing to pay, is that I can access my .Mac email at work (unlike my gmail account).

Opening up the email service to the public would likely get .Mac placed on the banned list here.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Surely the advertising of every Mac user having a .Mac email address would be worth the marginal cost to operate it. Google can give away 2GB for free even if you always use POP so never see the ads.

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I use it for the syncing and data backup. Until there's an alternative that's as reliable as .mac, I'll keep using it.

That said, the slowness of iDisk can often be vexing. I'd be happy if just that was taken care of in the next year.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well, you'd need a new Finder to fix this as it is not actually the iDisk that is slow but the Finder accessing it.

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think Apple will realize how unappealing their DotMac service has become and add features as well as fix the broken aspects, like frequent downtime and slow transfers.

18. r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

This is a very sensible idea, in my opinion. VoIP is just about the only thing that .Mac doesn't currently offer, but which is available elsewhere.

Maybe a certain number of minutes free of charge for your country of origin...? This would reinforce Apple's attempt to muscle into the telecommunications arena.

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

As in my lifetime or just some time? :p

20. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Thats what I get for not using the num pad...

I don't like to look at the keys while I type or proof read what I wrote...

I am pretty much a blabbering idiot. Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain. :eek:

haha

21. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I didn't vote because, although I'd prefer to see the price drop to a more sensible level, I don't think anything will happen. On this occasion I'd like to be wrong.

22. gavd macrumors 6502a

Feature Boost

I voted for a Feature Boost as I think it's about time they did something to the service. I guess I'm not exactly expecting them too though!

23. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

They could make it good enough that it becomes almost a must-have for Leopard... maybe by making a completely-integrated Google-like setup, letting you store *and* work collaboratively on iWork documents, hopefully via a web-based interface anywhere in the world, having access to email/contacts/calendar all online and syncable to any other mac.

I love the Google mail/apps/calendar/photos(picasa) setup, but I'd pay a fair price if it would all sync and "just work" with my desktop apps and PDA, and if the calendar and iCal and GMail contacts and Address Book and everything would just sync nicely and automagically.